Insurance company report reveals hotspots for car crashes nationwide

Navigating the roads can be tricky, and safety behind the wheel is paramount for our seasoned drivers.

But did you know that some roads are statistically more dangerous than others?

A recent report has illuminated Australia's most perilous stretches of tarmac, and this information is essential for anyone driving.

Based on a staggering 4.3 million motor claims, the report identified the hotspots for car crashes nationwide from 2014 to 2023.

According to AAMI's Crash Index Decade of Driving report, plenty of roads in Melbourne's northeast top the list.

1726710541116.png
According to AAMI's report, many roads in Melbourne's northeast rank as Australia's most dangerous road for crashes. Credit: Shutterstock

This road has seen the highest number of accidents in the past decade.

Following a speed reduction trial on Plenty Road in 2022, AAMI Motor Claims manager Leah James revealed a significant drop in accidents.

‘Following the adoption of the reduced speed limit, our data showed a 26 per cent reduction in the number of accidents, demonstrating the positive impact the AAMI Crash Index has had on saving lives,’ she said.

The Hume Highway in Liverpool, NSW, and the Bruce Highway in Queensland follow closely behind.

Other dangerous roads include Albany Highway in Western Australia, Canberra Avenue in the ACT, Marion Road in South Australia, Sandy Bay Road in Tasmania, and the Stuart Highway in the Northern Territory.

Many of these roads have maintained their risky reputations for over half of the past decade, indicating that while they are busy, they are also hazardous.

The report also revealed who is most likely to be involved in a crash, with men slightly more prone to accidents than women (54 per cent compared to 46 per cent).

However, it's the age factor that might surprise you: drivers aged 65 and over have been identified as the most dangerous behind the wheel.

The types of collisions that occur most frequently are also of concern.

Twenty-six per cent of accidents involve nose-to-tail crashes, suggesting a national tendency to tailgate.

Failing to give way is responsible for 19 per cent of crashes, while 17 per cent occur when cars are accidentally damaged while parked.

The report pinpoints the riskiest times to be on the road.

Afternoons between 1 pm and 4:30 pm are the peak times for crashes, coinciding with school pick-ups and the end of the workday rush.

There have also been many incidents in the morning slot from 9:30 am to 1 pm and the evening period from 4:30 pm to 8 pm.

‘This coincides with school pick up and is generally a time when the roads are busy, patience is wearing thin, drivers are tired from the day and racing to either get home or to their next destination,’ Ms James said.

‘This is when drivers need to have their wits about them and be vigilant behind the wheel to avoid those bumper-to-bumper collisions or an accident involving a child.’

Fridays are the worst days of the week for crashes, with the weekend days being the safest.
Key Takeaways

• Plenty Road in Melbourne's north-east has been identified as Australia's most dangerous road for crashes according to AAMI's Crash Index Decade of Driving report.
  • The report, which analysed 4.3 million motor claims from 2014 to 2023, revealed men are more likely to be involved in crashes than women, and drivers aged 65 and over are considered the most dangerous.
  • The most common collisions are nose-to-tail crashes and failing to give way, indicating issues with tailgating and distracted driving.
  • Government agencies have provided the data to assist with road improvements, policy changes, and future road project planning.
Have you driven on any of these dangerous roads? What are your tips for staying safe on the road, especially during peak times? Share your thoughts and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have driven Albany H'Way in W.A. quite regularly without problems, though it does contain many businesses which may cause problems when a driver is looking for a certain location & stops without enough indication.

Drivers over 65 were singled out as being the most dangerous. Is this because the younger drivers are able to react quicker than us, & do the young people have the most rear end crashes?

I am astounded by the number of drivers who rarely if ever use there blinkers to let other drivers no what they are doing. Another bad habit especially in back streets 90 % of drivers fly through stop signs which according to the police is as dangerous as going through a red light yet you never see any one getting pulled up by the police. On saying that there dous not seem to be as many police on the road any more.

I have driven Albany H'Way in W.A. quite regularly without problems, though it does contain many businesses which may cause problems when a driver is looking for a certain location & stops without enough indication.

Drivers over 65 were singled out as being the most dangerous. Is this because the younger drivers are able to react quicker than us, & do the young people have the most rear end crashes?
Albany Hwy in WA takes in 410 kms from Perth to Albany. I wonder if the statistics are for the whole length of the highway, or concentrated on the Perth area.

Over the decades, there have been many incidents’ and fatalities over the whole stretch. Outside of Perth, it’s a long, boring drive, but the amount of passing lanes has increased over the years.

I live in a Melbourne northern suburb, not far from the Metro "Bing" road. Everyday there are major and minor incident reports. You have high volume's of traffic going 100ks in close proximity. There are multiple speed cameras. It only takes one car or truck braking suddenly , or unsafely lane swopping to cause a crash. There have been many upgrades, but hasn't helped much.

I am astounded by the number of drivers who rarely if ever use there blinkers to let other drivers no what they are doing. Another bad habit especially in back streets 90 % of drivers fly through stop signs which according to the police is as dangerous as going through a red light yet you never see any one getting pulled up by the police. On saying that there dous not seem to be as many police on the road any more.
Shhh! The powers to be will start rolling out stop sign cameras.

Plenty Rd, is a shocker. The traffic is so full on there is 17 sets of lights from Mernda to Bundoora and there are shopping centres take away shops Dr's a hospital school, also a main highway that traffic comes off and drives onto. People are driving very close to each l have noticed no distance between. The lights changing all the time no wonder there are so many nose to tales. In the past 8 years or so the land was farming land now new estates everywhere so you can imagine the amount of traffic both ways. Been a few road deaths on Plenty Rd over the years sadly to say far to many.
Please drive safely and be patient.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Plenty Rd, is a shocker. The traffic is so full on there is 17 sets of lights from Mernda to Bundoora and there are shopping centres take away shops Dr's a hospital school, also a main highway that traffic comes off and drives onto. People are driving very close to each l have noticed no distance between. The lights changing all the time no wonder there are so many nose to tales. In the past 8 years or so the land was farming land now new estates everywhere so you can imagine the amount of traffic both ways. Been a few road deaths on Plenty Rd over the years sadly to say far to many.
Please drive safely and be patient.
Bruce highway is a damn horrible drive....needs billions spent on upgrading it but the Qld Gov't spends the majority of its roadworks capital in the south of the state's roads.
I have driven along both of these roads when I had a licence and both are bitumen abortions.

My street has become a 40 zone. Hahaha l think the people who only do 40 is us people who live in the street.
Oh yes l have noticed a lot of cars must not be made anymore with indicators. Unreal.
🤬
We have to be mind readers these days! To understand which lane are the cars in front are shifting into. People also don't know what a stop sign or give way signs are for!

I find most people signal and go there is no pause before moving left or right.I
love the people who pull out from a road in front of you then a few seconds later turn into another road again signal and go.The worst people are those that must get in front of you at the end of a overtaking lane even if you indicate you are moving to the right into one lane. Can't believe over 65s worst drivers that sounds suss when you see on the news teens and under 30s always in accidental

One of my friends moved from WA to Launceston a few years ago & was astounded at the behaviour of motorists here, lack of signals, not obeying road signs & almost invisible street signage in the city. I explained to her that obviously using indicators flattens your car battery and obeying traffic lights & road signs are optional and as for street signs, you have to really search for them. They could be on buildings, painted on the kerb or non existing. I then told her about some of the strange driver antics we have witnessed on our trips to Perth. We both had a good laugh about it all but for a while she wasn’t sure about indicators flattening the battery until she asked her husband. 😂😂😂

You are correct in saying, 'there does not seem......'. What about those unmarked Police cars, the ones we don't see?