Incorrect disposal of this item puts thousands of Aussies at risk of cancer and other diseases!

On December 31, 2003, Australia banned asbestos.

And yet almost two decades later, it’s still responsible for 4000 deaths yearly due to related diseases — more deadly than car-related fatalities.

Unfortunately, it gets worse.

A recent survey by the Asbestos Safety Eradication Agency (Asbestos Safety) found that 6000 tonnes of carcinogenic material are dumped illegally across Australia.

Efforts to remediate the dumped asbestos would cost about $11.2 million — a hefty amount that could have been diverted to other uses like social services or public healthcare.

Now, the government is hellbent on raising awareness of asbestos with National Asbestos Awareness Week, which starts on November 21 and ends on the 27th.

Screenshot_4.png
Asbestos remains a threat for Aussies decades after being banned. Source: YouTube/ABC News Australia

‘Asbestos causes cancer and if not disposed of properly, it puts workers, and the community’s health at risk.’ said Asbestos Safety Chief Executive Justine Ross.

‘It is an issue that has serious and far-reaching consequences, costing taxpayers millions each year in environmental remediation and long-term health costs,’ she added.

Ross said asbestos exposure disproportionately affects Aussies working on older buildings and infrastructure built back when its use was permitted.

‘However, asbestos can also be found in unexpected places such as in the household garden, garage or storage areas.’

One in every three Australian houses is estimated to contain asbestos products, according to Asbestos Safety.

To add to the problem, there is no certain way to visually determine if something has asbestos in it as it can only be confirmed through testing.

So… what do you do if you find something tainted with asbestos?

Source: YouTube/WorkSafe Victoria

‘It is easier, safer and often cheaper to get a professional to do the job for you. They will usually include the cost of disposing of the asbestos waste legally with the cost of removal,’ said Ross.

Please note that there are also designated facilities where people can dispose of asbestos products. Find out if there’s one near you here.

Dumping asbestos products in regular rubbish bins or on the kerb is a crime, so be warned — unless you want to end up with a hefty fine.

‘Disposing of it responsibly, no matter how small the amount, is the right thing to do,’ Ross said.

Key Takeaways

• Asbestos Safety revealed that 6000 tonnes of cancer-causing asbestos are dumped illegally across Australia per year.
  • Efforts to remediate the dumped asbestos are estimated to cost about $11.2 million.
  • The government wants to raise asbestos awareness through a week-long campaign.
  • One in three houses are also said to contain asbestos products.
  • Homeowners are urged to seek expert help in identifying and disposing of contaminated products.
Now, if you don’t know where to look, don’t worry!

There are resources online available for you to reach with asbestos-related questions.

Asbestos Safety can be reached by email at [email protected].au or on 1300 326 148.

Asbestos Awareness also has a database of products known to contain the hazardous mineral.

Meanwhile, if you have time, please check out why Bunnykins tableware from the 1970s was found unsuitable for use for food.

So, what is your reaction to these concerning findings? Have you had any experiences finding asbestos products in your home? How did you handle it?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: YouTube/ABC News Australia

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
When I did renovations all asbestos was removed by a builder and I no longer have any.

35 years ago someone I knew her loungeroom ceiling fell down on top of all her furniture and items.

I spent 2 days helping her shovel it into bags , at the end if the 2nd day I had breathing problems and that was the start of my asthma.

My doctor was very angry and asked me how did I not know that it wasn't asbestos, I didn't even know what asbestos was !

Last edited:
When I did renovations all asbestos was removed by a builder and I no longer have any.

35 years ago someone I knew her loungeroom ceiling fell down on top of all her furniture and items.

I spent 2 days helping her shovel it into bags , at the end if the 2nd day I had breathing problems and that was the start of my asthma.

My doctor was very angry and asked me how find I know that it wasn't asbestos, I didn't even know what asbestos was !
Quite terrifying knowing what we know now @Suzanne rose :eek: Did the doctor have you do anything about your exposure?

On December 31, 2003, Australia banned asbestos.

And yet almost two decades later, it’s still responsible for 4000 deaths yearly due to related diseases — more deadly than car-related fatalities.

Unfortunately, it gets worse.

A recent survey by the Asbestos Safety Eradication Agency (Asbestos Safety) found that 6000 tonnes of carcinogenic material are dumped illegally across Australia.

Efforts to remediate the dumped asbestos would cost about $11.2 million — a hefty amount that could have been diverted to other uses like social services or public healthcare.

Now, the government is hellbent on raising awareness of asbestos with National Asbestos Awareness Week, which starts on November 21 and ends on the 27th.

View attachment 9314
Asbestos remains a threat for Aussies decades after being banned. Source: YouTube/ABC News Australia

‘Asbestos causes cancer and if not disposed of properly, it puts workers, and the community’s health at risk.’ said Asbestos Safety Chief Executive Justine Ross.

‘It is an issue that has serious and far-reaching consequences, costing taxpayers millions each year in environmental remediation and long-term health costs,’ she added.

Ross said asbestos exposure disproportionately affects Aussies working on older buildings and infrastructure built back when its use was permitted.

‘However, asbestos can also be found in unexpected places such as in the household garden, garage or storage areas.’

One in every three Australian houses is estimated to contain asbestos products, according to Asbestos Safety.

To add to the problem, there is no certain way to visually determine if something has asbestos in it as it can only be confirmed through testing.

So… what do you do if you find something tainted with asbestos?

Source: YouTube/WorkSafe Victoria

‘It is easier, safer and often cheaper to get a professional to do the job for you. They will usually include the cost of disposing of the asbestos waste legally with the cost of removal,’ said Ross.

Please note that there are also designated facilities where people can dispose of asbestos products. Find out if there’s one near you here.

Dumping asbestos products in regular rubbish bins or on the kerb is a crime, so be warned — unless you want to end up with a hefty fine.

‘Disposing of it responsibly, no matter how small the amount, is the right thing to do,’ Ross said.

Key Takeaways

• Asbestos Safety revealed that 6000 tonnes of cancer-causing asbestos are dumped illegally across Australia per year.
  • Efforts to remediate the dumped asbestos are estimated to cost about $11.2 million.
  • The government wants to raise asbestos awareness through a week-long campaign.
  • One in three houses are also said to contain asbestos products.
  • Homeowners are urged to seek expert help in identifying and disposing of contaminated products.
Now, if you don’t know where to look, don’t worry!

There are resources online available for you to reach with asbestos-related questions.

Asbestos Safety can be reached by email at [email protected].au or on 1300 326 148.

Asbestos Awareness also has a database of products known to contain the hazardous mineral.

Meanwhile, if you have time, please check out why Bunnykins tableware from the 1970s was found unsuitable for use for food.

So, what is your reaction to these concerning findings? Have you had any experiences finding asbestos products in your home? How did you handle it?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: YouTube/ABC News Australia

I used to sleep under lagged pipework for years with bits of it breaking up and drifting down on you.

My father worked in the asbestos industry and died from mesothelioma. As children my brother and sisters and I played in the shavings at his factory and our family home was mainly built from asbestos by my father. My mother had asbestosis from washing my father's clothes and died at the age of 90, 21 years after my father. This is a deadly product, but it is not one that will kill everyone. My siblings and I have no ill effects from our exposure as children. If it is handled correctly, it is not going to do too much harm. But it needs to be handled by professionals.