TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
In-laws livid after bride-to-be refuses to let 21-year-old niece try on engagement ring. So, who is in the wrong?

In-laws livid after bride-to-be refuses to let 21-year-old niece try on engagement ring. So, who is in the wrong?
After refusing to allow her 21-year-old niece to try on her engagement ring, a bride-to-be has been accused of attempting to drive a rift between her fiance and his family. The bride posted her story on Reddit to get others’ opinions on her story and has received support from many users.

According to the bride-to-be, her partner's family are very close with each other, the 36-year-old woman claimed she has been making an effort to learn more about them.

She added that she hadn't known the family for long because they began their relationship as a long-distance partnership.

Despite the bride-to-be’s efforts, her husband’s niece continues to comment about her 'haggard' appearance and the incompatibility between the two.

‘When we announced my engagement, she told my fiancé he is moving too fast even though we have been together for almost three years,’ the bride-to-be wrote.

MPqG1g7BgQJBODJ_6VBT7ATsrZhdnmleZdtrYALjWu9kIqDtUCiRxqcTzgw85GZjEb9yKKodz6BBGeCwR38j4w7m4pArev2RYVHjCInLAIIxR14nr5ZvK6yOO8qeK15g7gdidPPlMzt8GT6l-w

Source: pexels.com

The bride stated she had been smiling through the younger woman's nasty taunts. Still, her current 'tantrum' over not being able to try on the ring has taken things to the next level.

'His niece saw my ring and commented on it, saying, 'I bet this is the fanciest one you've ever got! just like my uncle!',' the woman wrote. ‘I felt offended and thought that was rude, but I ignored her because of how my mother-in-law was looking at me.’

The younger woman asked to try it on, but the bride politely refused.

‘'She asked again, but I still said no. Next thing I knew, she got up from her seat and stood in front of me, extending her arm expecting me to take the ring off and give it to her,’ she added.

When the bride stood firm and told her niece-to-be that allowing other people to try on the ring made her uncomfortable, her sister-in-law intervened.

‘Are you serious? That's his niece, just let her try it on!’ the sister-in-law said.

The bride, however, continued to stand her ground.

‘His niece threw a fit and went upstairs. Her mum said I had no reason to act like this.’ she wrote.

AG4KcL-LfZUTR0ztNNOOAV1z_kZSN5alw8ol6ks1EC3dOGQOI7s7o45oa_VxHpVd3s5CxzVmIyi2idRrFZxLrMsLGw30CBtNvr8jkwfabyyNyJNds9PY4qYt7UgW01kWqp4THvcd1ut4i2Arvg

Despite her mother-in-law’s pleas to make her stay, the bride excused herself only to find herself in more trouble when she refused to answer her sister-in-law’s phone call.

‘She sent a text saying my behaviour was alarming and that she will bring this incident up to her brother when he gets back because she sensed that I'm trying to drive a wedge between her daughter and my fiancé,’ she added.

The woman claims she did not misbehave in the event, but no one has contacted her since.

It seems Reddit users were entirely on her side, agreeing that she was not the problem in this circumstance.

‘If anyone asks, I'd just say 'the ring means a lot to me. I just don't ever want to take it off.' If people don't leave you alone after that, then it's their problem,’ one user commented.

Others suggested that the mother should have told the family that swapping rings is bad luck, but most people thought that wouldn't help.

'There is nothing, short of inventing some sort of contagious skin condition, that would have gotten them to back off because they feel entirely entitled to anything they want relating to the bride-to-be's fiancé and, by extension, to anything they want from the bride-to-be,' another user added.

A third user chimed in: ‘You could rephrase it as 'wearing someone else's engagement ring means you won't ever get your own.’

Many commenters pointed out that the niece’s obsession with the relationship was an area of concern.

‘His niece is acting like she's in love with your husband. She's jealous of his attention towards you. I'd stay away from her and her mum for a while,’ one woman commented.

‘She's acting like a child, and she's 21, and her mum isn't helping her out at all by not setting normal boundaries. If they don't get proactive with the niece, the bride-to-be will need to watch her back forever,’ another added.

‘No is a complete sentence. One that apparently the brat needs to hear more often,’ said another.

LHU0z03R7uWodDbJchuLBkERVudH6peyL5sUxwbi1xa7d38q7FJeDYj_-Uawh_91m1CbRm2YNM1oSTSkNamYlr580bPeP3gQGsLHvnCZGFKuIWgBBN311rRpACiIbdAwSA-zswfFfVMFD5zCcw

The bride-to-be clarified that her future husband refused to take sides in the matter.

‘He tells me to have patience and grace because his family is just starting to get to know me. He asked that I give his niece time, but he ignores just how obviously bad her attitude is,'’ she wrote.

However, this seemed to raise even more red flags for the commenters.

‘You've been together for three years. If he refuses to see how disrespectful their behaviour toward you is, reconsider the relationship. You can set all the boundaries you want, but if he doesn't reinforce them, then it's all in vain,’ one said.

‘Oh, dear heart….no. You have 'patience and grace' when you adopt an abused dog from the shelter, and you're training them not to be aggressive with you. And even that doesn't usually take three years. These are adult human beings,’ another woman added.

What do you think? Do you think this bride is being unreasonable for refusing to let her soon-to-be husband’s niece try out the ring? Or is the niece being a spoiled brat? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

After refusing to allow her 21-year-old niece to try on her engagement ring, a bride-to-be has been accused of attempting to drive a rift between her fiance and his family. The bride posted her story on Reddit to get others’ opinions on her story and has received support from many users.

According to the bride-to-be, her partner's family are very close with each other, the 36-year-old woman claimed she has been making an effort to learn more about them.

She added that she hadn't known the family for long because they began their relationship as a long-distance partnership.

Despite the bride-to-be’s efforts, her husband’s niece continues to comment about her 'haggard' appearance and the incompatibility between the two.

‘When we announced my engagement, she told my fiancé he is moving too fast even though we have been together for almost three years,’ the bride-to-be wrote.

MPqG1g7BgQJBODJ_6VBT7ATsrZhdnmleZdtrYALjWu9kIqDtUCiRxqcTzgw85GZjEb9yKKodz6BBGeCwR38j4w7m4pArev2RYVHjCInLAIIxR14nr5ZvK6yOO8qeK15g7gdidPPlMzt8GT6l-w

The bride stated she had been smiling through the younger woman's nasty taunts. Still, her current 'tantrum' over not being able to try on the ring has taken things to the next level.

'His niece saw my ring and commented on it, saying, 'I bet this is the fanciest one you've ever got! just like my uncle!',' the woman wrote. ‘I felt offended and thought that was rude, but I ignored her because of how my mother-in-law was looking at me.’

The younger woman asked to try it on, but the bride politely refused.

‘'She asked again, but I still said no. Next thing I knew, she got up from her seat and stood in front of me, extending her arm expecting me to take the ring off and give it to her,’ she added.

When the bride stood firm and told her niece-to-be that allowing other people to try on the ring made her uncomfortable, her sister-in-law intervened.

‘Are you serious? That's his niece, just let her try it on!’ the sister-in-law said.

The bride, however, continued to stand her ground.

‘His niece threw a fit and went upstairs. Her mum said I had no reason to act like this.’ she wrote.

AG4KcL-LfZUTR0ztNNOOAV1z_kZSN5alw8ol6ks1EC3dOGQOI7s7o45oa_VxHpVd3s5CxzVmIyi2idRrFZxLrMsLGw30CBtNvr8jkwfabyyNyJNds9PY4qYt7UgW01kWqp4THvcd1ut4i2Arvg

Despite her mother-in-law’s pleas to make her stay, the bride excused herself only to find herself in more trouble when she refused to answer her sister-in-law’s phone call.

‘She sent a text saying my behaviour was alarming and that she will bring this incident up to her brother when he gets back because she sensed that I'm trying to drive a wedge between her daughter and my fiancé,’ she added.

The woman claims she did not misbehave in the event, but no one has contacted her since.

It seems Reddit users were entirely on her side, agreeing that she was not the problem in this circumstance.

‘If anyone asks, I'd just say 'the ring means a lot to me. I just don't ever want to take it off.' If people don't leave you alone after that, then it's their problem,’ one user commented.

Others suggested that the mother should have told the family that swapping rings is bad luck, but most people thought that wouldn't help.

'There is nothing, short of inventing some sort of contagious skin condition, that would have gotten them to back off because they feel entirely entitled to anything they want relating to the bride-to-be's fiancé and, by extension, to anything they want from the bride-to-be,' another user added.

A third user chimed in: ‘You could rephrase it as 'wearing someone else's engagement ring means you won't ever get your own.’

Many commenters pointed out that the niece’s obsession with the relationship was an area of concern.

‘His niece is acting like she's in love with your husband. She's jealous of his attention towards you. I'd stay away from her and her mum for a while,’ one woman commented.

‘She's acting like a child, and she's 21, and her mum isn't helping her out at all by not setting normal boundaries. If they don't get proactive with the niece, the bride-to-be will need to watch her back forever,’ another added.

‘No is a complete sentence. One that apparently the brat needs to hear more often,’ said another.

LHU0z03R7uWodDbJchuLBkERVudH6peyL5sUxwbi1xa7d38q7FJeDYj_-Uawh_91m1CbRm2YNM1oSTSkNamYlr580bPeP3gQGsLHvnCZGFKuIWgBBN311rRpACiIbdAwSA-zswfFfVMFD5zCcw

The bride-to-be clarified that her future husband refused to take sides in the matter.

‘He tells me to have patience and grace because his family is just starting to get to know me. He asked that I give his niece time, but he ignores just how obviously bad her attitude is,'’ she wrote.

However, this seemed to raise even more red flags for the commenters.

‘You've been together for three years. If he refuses to see how disrespectful their behaviour toward you is, reconsider the relationship. You can set all the boundaries you want, but if he doesn't reinforce them, then it's all in vain,’ one said.

‘Oh, dear heart….no. You have 'patience and grace' when you adopt an abused dog from the shelter, and you're training them not to be aggressive with you. And even that doesn't usually take three years. These are adult human beings,’ another woman added.

What do you think? Do you think this bride is being unreasonable for refusing to let her soon-to-be husband’s niece try out the ring? Or is the niece being a spoiled brat? Tell us all about it in the comments below!
A spoiled brat me thinks, stick to your guns girl. They are all in the wrong

The good book says, "A man shall leave his mother and father (includes nieces & nephews as well) and cleave to his wife." Doesn't mean to ignore his folks but the marriage union now takes top priority. If he is not working toward supporting his wife-to-be in this matter, I'd be rather concerned for things to come in the marriage....just sayin'

The good book says, "A man shall leave his mother and father (includes nieces & nephews as well) and cleave to his wife." Doesn't mean to ignore his folks but the marriage union now takes top priority. If he is not working toward supporting his wife-to-be in this matter, I'd be rather concerned for things to come in the marriage....just sayin'
Totally agree.

Totally agree

Reactions: relljube
If he can't see what is wrong here, and he's not supporting you, imagine when there are decisions to be made. You'll be the odd one out. That would hsve me really considering if this is the right match when the inlays/niece can hold such power.
Totally agree

Reactions: Jane Wilson
Re-reading this story- long distance relationship, getting to know more about his family? I’m thinking maybe a different culture? A different country? Doesn’t sound Aussie to me. It might explain it . Aussie women of her age don’t put up with that, just saying .

Reactions: Ladyjay