Immunocompromised man dies from rare disease

The first fatal case of a rare disease was recently reported—one that was only discovered nine years ago.

This has raised concerns among health officials and the public alike, as the disease was previously thought to cause only mild symptoms.

The victim, an elderly man with a compromised immune system in the US state of Alaska, passed away in late January while undergoing treatment.

His case is one of only seven reported Alaskapox infections, according to the Alaska Department of Public Health.

SDC 4.png
A man becomes the first fatal case of the Alaskapox disease. Image source: Freepik.

Julia Rogers, a State Epidemiologist, urged the public to be aware rather than alarmed.

'We're hoping to make clinicians more aware of what Alaskapox virus is so that they can identify signs and symptoms,' she said.

The Alaskapox virus, a double-stranded DNA virus, belongs to the same genus as smallpox, monkeypox, and cowpox.

It was first identified in an adult in Fairbanks, Alaska, in 2015 and is most commonly found in small mammals.

The fatal case—also the first identified case outside of Alaska's interior—took months to diagnose.

Previous Alaskapox cases had only shown mild symptoms in patients, which were typically localised rashes and swollen lymph nodes.

Other patients diagnosed with the virus did not require treatment, but they all had healthy immune systems, health officials noted.

It is understood that the man's immunocompromised condition likely contributed to his death.

However, how he contracted the virus remains a mystery.

The man reported no recent travel and lived alone in the woods.

Health officials speculated that he may have contracted the disease from a cat he lived with, which frequently hunted small mammals and scratched him when his symptoms began.

Although the cat tested negative for the virus, it could have spread from its claws.

In September, the man noticed a red bump in his right armpit and was treated with antibiotics.

But six weeks later, his symptoms worsened and included fatigue and pain.

In December, he was hospitalised in the city of Anchorage and underwent a series of tests.

The man initially tested positive for cowpox, but further testing by the Centers for Disease Control revealed it was actually Alaskapox.

According to health officials, his condition improved after a week of intravenous medications, but he later died after experiencing kidney and respiratory failure
Key Takeaways

• The US state of Alaska has confirmed its first fatal case of Alaskapox, a virus discovered nine years ago.
  • The fatality was an elderly, immunocompromised man with no significant travel history.
  • The man was one of only seven recorded infections of the rare disease.
  • State health officials said that the incident is cause for more awareness, but not alarm.
  • Alaskapox is most commonly found in small mammals and is part of the same genus as smallpox, monkeypox, and cowpox.
  • The man's case was initially misdiagnosed as cowpox, but further testing confirmed it was a case of Alaskapox.
What are your thoughts on this recent development? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
How old was this person and did he have other complications? Update: He was a Cancer Patient and on Immunosuppressants. He died from malnutrition, and kidney and respiratory failure late last month. But he had the Alaskapox apparently so they claim it's that which killed him. Not unlike one state in USA counting a motorcycle fatality as covid as he tested positive for it????

Last edited:
I'm with the other's. Why are we interested in Alaska virus news. We have enough bad things to worry about in our country. Crime, floods, bushfires, cost of living, 100's of horrible criminals let loose into our cities and towns by a lying wanker called Airbus✈️Albo and his government. They have turned this amazing country into a 3rd world country.
Last night on a programme on TV, Brisbane police decided to rather take sick leave than to chase teenagers who stole cars and did crime. Why? Because when they do chase them, the police gets in trouble!!! 3rd World country? Crime out of control. Can't see a GP, 12 hour waiting in a ER room before you can see a doctor. Ambulances take hours to get to people. NO Housing. Very expensive meats and essential foods + medications etc etc. Banks & Supermarks close in country towns. The criminals live better than the ordinary Aussie, they get free $'s, 5 star accommodation, free food, they got a medicare card, free internet. And also, Airbus✈️Albo and his gang, imported millions of people who came into our country and immediately got Permanent Residency, and they don't work, they get everything of the best.

So tell me again, why would I worry about what's happening in Alaska?

Attachments

• GGFye-yakAAVkD9.png
    GGFye-yakAAVkD9.png
    547.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I will be travelling to Alaska with my daughter in a few months and it is good to know these things. My daughter has a low immunity and it will make us more aware of what is around. We will definitely not be touching any animals but will be going to the Animal Conservation Park to check them out. Thank you for the info.

Ah well, another virus that the Australian State and Federal governments won't be able to deal with sensibly, let alone the pig-headed anti-vax element of the Australian population. Now there is a fatal pig virus (100% death rate to date) going wild amongst the pigs in Borneo (hunted for food by the local indigenes) and the last time a pig virus jumped to humans in the USA it caused a pandemic which killed around 50 or 20 million people. Spanish flu, anyone?

I'm with the other's. Why are we interested in Alaska virus news. We have enough bad things to worry about in our country. Crime, floods, bushfires, cost of living, 100's of horrible criminals let loose into our cities and towns by a lying wanker called Airbus✈️Albo and his government. They have turned this amazing country into a 3rd world country.
Last night on a programme on TV, Brisbane police decided to rather take sick leave than to chase teenagers who stole cars and did crime. Why? Because when they do chase them, the police gets in trouble!!! 3rd World country? Crime out of control. Can't see a GP, 12 hour waiting in a ER room before you can see a doctor. Ambulances take hours to get to people. NO Housing. Very expensive meats and essential foods + medications etc etc. Banks & Supermarks close in country towns. The criminals live better than the ordinary Aussie, they get free $'s, 5 star accommodation, free food, they got a medicare card, free internet. And also, Airbus✈️Albo and his gang, imported millions of people who came into our country and immediately got Permanent Residency, and they don't work, they get everything of the best.

Welcome to the modern world of the internet mobile phone and social disruption.............It has all happened since 1994 dominated by idiots in the LNP who have formed the majority of Australia's federal governments. And Australians voted for them, and the resulting mess you describe, repeatedly.

As you are jealous of the perks and lurks enjoyed by Australia's criminals why not join them and go to jail?

Reactions: Stephwhit
I will be travelling to Alaska with my daughter in a few months and it is good to know these things. My daughter has a low immunity and it will make us more aware of what is around. We will definitely not be touching any animals but will be going to the Animal Conservation Park to check them out. Thank you for the info.
I’m glad you pointed out that some Australians may visit Alaska and some Alaskans could visit Australia @Furbaby.
It’s good to be informed of potential health issues even though they may not yet have hit our shores.
I don’t understand the narrow minded mentality of some people.
Enjoy your time in Alaska. 😀

We are notified for our own health. Take it or leave it, your choice. When travel overseas is so easy disease CAN & DOES spread. Many are spread by touching infected items, not necessarily from droplets or going to a country or area with the infection.

Do you really believe every surface in a plane is thoroughly wiped and then wiped again with disinfectant. Think again and think back - you board a plane AFTER you have been seated in someone else’s seat in the waiting lounge area, an employee has touched your boarding pass, you touch the rails for support when traversing steps and/or walking through the boarding corridors, walking down the aisle touching headrests on the way to your seat, opening & closing overhead lockers, putting on your seatbelt, going to the toilet (opening & closing doors, using the taps to wash your hands & again opening & closing the toilet door someone else has touched - and you have no idea whether their hands were washed), then touching headrests back to your seat.

I could continue with just infection points on a plane, let alone any place else. Get real, be aware of infection & disease warnings and heed advice - it could and one day might happen to you. Hide under that facade of ‘this is all hype’ - I wish GOOD LUCK TO YOU WHO DON’T BELIEVE IT CAN HAPPEN TO EVERYONE ELSE BUT YOU.

Hey jojo lets stop with the saying and do something positive to try and stop what is happening to this country. Step number 1: stop brown nosing with the US.

Reactions: gordon1940
I’m glad you pointed out that some Australians may visit Alaska and some Alaskans could visit Australia @Furbaby.
It’s good to be informed of potential health issues even though they may not yet have hit our shores.
I don’t understand the narrow minded mentality of some people.
Enjoy your time in Alaska. 😀
Guarantee some @sshole visitor will bring it here soon...!

No different to rabies and the like. To live in continuous fear is not living.

I do agree with most of the above info , like the crimes and flying Albo , waiting time to see a doctor , as criminals get this all for free including food and all the rest we have to pay for .
I think we have to worry about all the viruses from all parts of the world , they can turn into huge Pandemics. As people travel the world it could soon hit Australia . Look what happened to Covid , initially started in China , they tried to hide it for the world for a long time , it could have been contained if no one could leave the country. I think it is important to be aware of what happens in the world . So many Aussies travel to Alaska these days and bring it back in the country,

Reactions: Macarj
I do agree with most of the above info , like the crimes and flying Albo , waiting time to see a doctor , as criminals get this all for free including food and all the rest we have to pay for .
I think we have to worry about all the viruses from all parts of the world , they can turn into huge Pandemics. As people travel the world it could soon hit Australia . Look what happened to Covid , initially started in China , they tried to hide it for the world for a long time , it could have been contained if no one could leave the country. I think it is important to be aware of what happens in the world . So many Aussies travel to Alaska these days and bring it back in the country,
What happened with COVID, I am interested.

Reactions: Macarj