Iconic Mary Poppins actress Glynis Johns passes away at 100

Glynis Johns, the British actress with a distinctive husky voice, has passed away at the age of 100.

Known for her memorable roles in films like Mary Poppins and The Sundowners, Johns was a versatile performer who graced both the stage and screen with her talent.

Her death was due to natural causes, as confirmed by her manager Mitch Clem.

Born on October 5, 1923, in South Africa to Welsh parents who were touring performers, Johns was destined for the limelight.

She began her acting career as a child, and over the course of more than six decades, she appeared in dozens of films, leaving an indelible mark on the world of cinema.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 8.59.58 AM.png
Mary Poppins actress Glynis Johns passed away at 100. Credit: @filmforumnyc / Instagram

Johns' most iconic role was arguably that of Winifred Banks in the 1964 Disney classic Mary Poppins.

She played the suffragette mother who reconnects with her children thanks to the magical nanny played by Julie Andrews.

The film was a massive success, earning 13 Oscar nominations and winning five, including Best Actress for Andrews.

However, Mary Poppins was just one highlight in a career filled with memorable performances. Johns showcased her versatility in various roles, from a flirtatious mermaid in Miranda (1948) and its sequel Mad About Men (1954).

When asked about wearing a mermaid outfit in the film, she said she had no problem with it.

‘I was quite an athlete, my muscles were strong from dancing, so the tail was just fine. I swam like a porpoise,’ Johns said in an interview with Newsday in 1998.

She also starred as a hotel keeper in the Australian adventure film The Sundowners (1960) alongside Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr, and Peter Ustinov.

Her performance in the latter earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

You can watch her iconic performance in Mary Poppins here:

Johns' talent wasn't confined to the silver screen. She was an accomplished stage actress, winning a Tony Award in 1973 for her role in the Stephen Sondheim musical A Little Night Music.

Sondheim wrote the poignant song 'Send In The Clowns' specifically for Johns, a gift she cherished.

'I always said that “Send In The Clowns” was the best gift I was ever given,' she once said.

Her television work was equally impressive, appearing in the popular Batman series in the 1960s, where she played the villain Lady Penelope Peasoup and in her own short-lived US sitcom Glynis in 1963.

Her final acting role was in the 1999 film Superstar, starring Molly Shannon and Will Ferrell.

Johns' approach to acting was deeply rooted in authenticity.

'As far as I’m concerned, I’m not interested in playing the role on only one level,' she told The Associated Press in 1990.

'The whole point of first-class acting is to make a reality of it. To be real. And I have to make sense of it in my own mind in order to be real.'
Key Takeaways
  • Beloved British actress Glynis Johns has passed away at 100.
  • She was known for her role as Winifred Banks in Mary Poppins and her award-winning stage presence.
  • Johns was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in The Sundowners and won a Tony Award for A Little Night Music.
  • The actress, remembered for genuine and versatile performances, died of natural causes.
Johns' career was marked by a dedication to her craft and a commitment to authenticity in her performances. Her passing is a great loss to the world of film and theatre, but her legacy will continue to inspire future generations of actors and actresses.

Sponsored
Glynis Johns, the British actress with a distinctive husky voice, has passed away at the age of 100.

Known for her memorable roles in films like Mary Poppins and The Sundowners, Johns was a versatile performer who graced both the stage and screen with her talent.

Born on October 5, 1923, in South Africa to Welsh parents who were touring performers, Johns was destined for the limelight.

She began her acting career as a child, and over the course of more than six decades, she appeared in dozens of films, leaving an indelible mark on the world of cinema.

View attachment 38680
Mary Poppins actress Glynis Johns passed away at 100. Credit: @filmforumnyc / Instagram

Johns' most iconic role was arguably that of Winifred Banks in the 1964 Disney classic Mary Poppins.

She played the suffragette mother who reconnects with her children thanks to the magical nanny played by Julie Andrews.

The film was a massive success, earning 13 Oscar nominations and winning five, including Best Actress for Andrews.

However, Mary Poppins was just one highlight in a career filled with memorable performances. Johns showcased her versatility in various roles, from a flirtatious mermaid in Miranda (1948) and its sequel Mad About Men (1954).

When asked about wearing a mermaid outfit in the film, she said she had no problem with it.

‘I was quite an athlete, my muscles were strong from dancing, so the tail was just fine. I swam like a porpoise,’ Johns said in an interview with Newsday in 1998.

She also starred as a hotel keeper in the Australian adventure film The Sundowners (1960) alongside Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr, and Peter Ustinov.

Her performance in the latter earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

Johns' talent wasn't confined to the silver screen. She was an accomplished stage actress, winning a Tony Award in 1973 for her role in the Stephen Sondheim musical A Little Night Music.

Sondheim wrote the poignant song 'Send In The Clowns' specifically for Johns, a gift she cherished.

'I always said that “Send In The Clowns” was the best gift I was ever given,' she once said.

Her television work was equally impressive, appearing in the popular Batman series in the 1960s, where she played the villain Lady Penelope Peasoup and in her own short-lived US sitcom Glynis in 1963.

Her final acting role was in the 1999 film Superstar, starring Molly Shannon and Will Ferrell.

'As far as I’m concerned, I’m not interested in playing the role on only one level,' she told The Associated Press in 1990.

'The whole point of first-class acting is to make a reality of it. To be real. And I have to make sense of it in my own mind in order to be real.'
Key Takeaways

• She was known for her role as Winifred Banks in Mary Poppins and her award-winning stage presence.
  • Johns was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in The Sundowners and won a Tony Award for A Little Night Music.
  • The actress, remembered for genuine and versatile performances, died of natural causes.
Johns' career was marked by a dedication to her craft and a commitment to authenticity in her performances. Her passing is a great loss to the world of film and theatre, but her legacy will continue to inspire future generations of actors and actresses.

R.I.P Glynis

View attachment 38680

Key Takeaways

What an amazing age to get to. Loved her in Mary Poppins and she has left a wonderful legacy with her talent and beauty. Rest in Peace Glynis Johns..

I remember her in "Miranda" as the Mermaid. I have always liked her. She had that voice that you would always recognize. How wonderful to get to 100. RIP.