Iconic Cockney Rebel frontman Steve Harley passes away at 73

The music world is in mourning as it bids farewell to one of its most distinctive voices, Steve Harley, the charismatic frontman of the legendary glam rock band Cockney Rebel.

At the age of 73, after a valiant battle with cancer, Harley's life came to a peaceful end on March 17, surrounded by his loving family at home.

His passing leaves a void in the hearts of fans across the globe, who will remember him not just for his music but for the indelible mark he left on the rock scene.

Steve Harley's journey from a London-born dreamer to a rock icon is a tale of passion and perseverance.

Born in 1951, Harley's early career choices were far from the stage; he worked as a trainee accountant and cut his teeth in journalism in local newspapers.

20240318_080629_0000.png
Steve Harley passed away last March 17. Image source: @empiresend, @CheNirvana/X (Twitter)

However, the allure of music proved too strong to resist, and he soon found himself performing at London's folk clubs, where his talent quickly shone through.

In 1973, Harley formed Cockney Rebel and released their debut album, The Human Menagerie.

The band's unique sound, a blend of rock, folk, and glam, captivated audiences, but internal creative differences led to its dissolution.

Undeterred, Harley reformed the group with new members in 1975, rebranding it as Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel.

This iteration of the band brought to life The Best Years of Our Lives, an album that featured the timeless hit 'Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me).'

'Make Me Smile' soared to the top of the UK singles charts with its infectious chorus and wry lyrics, cementing Harley's status as a rock 'n' roll luminary.

The song's legacy continued to grow, covered by numerous artists and featured in various soundtracks, including the 1997 film The Full Monty, and in commercials for brands like Carlsberg beer and Marks & Spencer.

Harley's talents extended beyond his band; in 1986, he collaborated with Sarah Brightman on the title song of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical The Phantom of the Opera.

Although initially cast in the lead role for the stage production, he was later replaced by Michael Crawford, yet his rendition of the song remains a beloved piece of musical theatre history.

Tributes have poured in from fellow musicians and fans alike.

Midge Ure, the Ultravox frontman, wrote: ‘Steve Harley was a true “working musician”. He toured until he could tour no more, playing his songs for fans old and new. My thoughts go out to Dorothy and his family at this very sad time.’

'Our songs live on longer than we ever can,’ he added.

Author and director Nicholas Pegg posted: ‘Steve Harley had a remarkable career that bestrode the musical landscape: from Bowie to Bush, from Wakeman to Brightman, from Batt to Bolan. And that’s just the collaborations. His own work was prolific and superb, and he wrote one of the greatest pop songs ever. Raising a glass.’

‘Steve Harley’s voice has haunted, disturbed and delighted me since childhood. So sad that we won’t hear it again,’ one fan said.

‘Ah, I feel sad. Another little part of the teenager I was just died. [Rest in peace], Steve Harley,’ another stated.

Steve Harley is survived by his wife Dorothy, his children Kerr and Greta, and four grandchildren.

The original Cockney Rebel lineup includes Jean-Paul Crocker, Stuart Elliott, Paul Jeffreys, and Nick Jones.

You can watch him perform one of their greatest hits here:

Source: Alfred Brekke/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• Steve Harley, the frontman of the glam rock group Cockney Rebel, has died at age 73 from cancer.
  • Cockney Rebel was known for their 1973 number-one hit song, 'Make Me Smile,' which achieved widespread success and was extensively covered and used in various soundtracks and advertisements.
  • Harley had a diverse career, which included working as a trainee accountant, a journalist and branching into folk music before forming Cockney Rebel.
  • Harley is remembered for his extensive touring and dedication to his fans, with tributes flowing in from fellow musicians and fans alike. He leaves behind his wife Dorothy, his children Kerr and Greta, and four grandchildren.
Our thoughts and prayers are with this family at this difficult time. May he rest in peace.

What’s your favourite Cockney Rebel song, members? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
One of my favourite songs from the 70's, hearing it takes me back to happy times listening to music with my Mum 💕 and it was strange, when she passed in 1997, this song kept running through my mind for weeks. I was sad to wake to this news today.
RIP Steve Harley.

Last edited:
Another great musician from my era gone to make music in a quieter place.

RIP Steve. Condolences to his family, fellow band members & friends.