Iconic '70s movie star passes away after a long, valiant fight with a rare brain disorder

The world of entertainment is reeling from the loss of another movie star.

The iconic '70s actor Paul D'Amato, known for his memorable roles and multifaceted life, has passed away after a four-year battle with a rare neurological disorder.

D'Amato's passing was confirmed by his fiancée, actress Marina Re, who revealed that he died at his Massachusetts home.

He had been fighting progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare and devastating brain disorder.

SDC 2.png
Paul D’Amato (right) with fiancée Marina Re. Image source: Facebook/Marina Re.

'He was the most wonderful, sweetest guy, he fought so hard against this horrendous disease,' Re said.

D'Amato's acting career was as diverse as it was impressive.

He is best remembered for his role as McCracken, but his talent extended far beyond this character.

He made a significant impact in a single scene in The Deer Hunter, a film that won the Best Picture at the Oscars in 1979.

He also shared the screen with Cher and Dennis Quaid in Peter Yates' Suspect (1978), where he played a menacing character armed with a knife and razor.

His other notable appearances include Heaven Can Wait (1978), F/X (1986), and Six Ways to Sunday (1997). But D'Amato's life was not confined to the silver screen.

He was a man of many talents and interests, and his life story is as captivating as any of the films he starred in.

Born and raised in Massachusetts, D'Amato grew up ice skating and even served with the United States Army.

He was a member of Boston's Emerson College's hockey team where he graduated from in 1973.

His love for sports was evident in his role in Slap Shot, which premiered four years after his graduation.

He also starred in a Cambridge Ensemble production of Deathwatch by Jean Genet, which moved to off-Broadway.

D'Amato had a stint selling insurance, following in his father's footsteps.

His role in Slap Shot in 1976 was the turning point of his career.

The first line he uttered in the film was, 'Dunlop, you suck c**k', a line he later admitted to being nervous about.

'I was very nervous and excited at the same time. The scene was pretty simple and straightforward, and I realised that being nervous was no excuse,' D'Amato said in 2007.

'So, like James Cagney would want, I planted my feet, looked him square in the eye and told him what I thought of him…it worked out pretty well, butterflies and all,' he added.

D'Amato started a couple of New York City theatre companies, worked in ski shops, and even raised a significant amount of money for charities by auctioning off an autographed No. 9 Syracuse Bulldogs hockey jumper.

He also played a hockey player role again in 1997 in CBS' telemovie The Deadliest Season.

D'Amato is survived by his sister, Andrea, and his fiancée, Marina Re, whom he met when they were in a play together in 2002.

His life was a testament to his resilience, versatility, and passion, and he will be remembered for his roles on screen and the man he was off it.

Key Takeaways
  • The '70s movie icon, known for his role as McCracken in Slap Shot, passed away after a four-year battle with progressive supranuclear palsy.
  • Aside from acting, D'Amato had a multifaceted life which included ice skating, serving in the US Army, and being part of a college hockey team.
  • His career breakthrough came from his performance in Slap Shot.
  • D'Amato engaged in various pursuits such as starting theatre companies, working in ski shops, and raising funds for charities, showcasing his diverse interests and community involvement.
As we bid farewell to this iconic actor, we remember his contributions to the world of entertainment and the inspiring life he led. His fight against progressive supranuclear palsy was as brave as it was heartbreaking, and his legacy will continue to inspire and touch the hearts of many.

May Paul D’Amato rest in peace.

Sponsored
RIP and prayers to his family .

I can't say that I've heard of him, but I have seen a number of the films listed, but Heaven can wait. I only remember Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, James Mason, and Dyan Cannon
The Deer Hunter I only remember Robert Di Nero , Christopher Walken and John Savage.
Other shows like slap shot I dont remember him

Last edited:
A very diverse actor in the roles he took on. Almost as different as the jobs tackled prior to his start in acting.

He had a long fight before losing his battle, poor man. May he now RIP.

Condolences to his fiancee Marina Re, family & friends.

Reactions: Suzanne rose