'I wouldn't mind living on an island for a while': Aussie retiree reveals his dream lifestyle worth $18,000 a year

Retirement is often seen as a time to slow down and enjoy the fruits of one's labour.

For some adventurous souls, it's an opportunity to redefine their lifestyle and stretch their dollars further than they ever could at home.

An Australian retiree recently shared his lifestyle, which is a prime example of this bold approach.

John Walker has been living his dream life in the vibrant city of Chiang Mai, Thailand, on his annual pension of $18,000.

Despite the move, he still saves nearly half of his pension for overseas travel.

The 73-year-old retiree's story is a testament to the possibilities that await those willing to step outside their comfort zone.

compressed-shutterstock_chiang mai.jpeg
John Walker's move to Chiang Mai, Thailand allowed him to live a more cost-effective lifestyle while travelling the world. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Guitar Photographer

After moving from Western Australia to Thailand in 2019, Walker found that his pension allowed him a comfortable lifestyle in his new home city.

His studio apartment, which costs less than $200 a month, came with all the essentials he needed—air conditioning, a kitchen, and proximity to his favourite local spots and temples.

The cost of living in Chiang Mai is a fraction of what many retirees face in Australia.

Dining out, transportation, and utilities are incredibly affordable, which allowed Walker to indulge in the local culture.

This financial breathing room also let him save about 40 per cent of his income—a challenging feat to achieve on a fixed income.

However, Walker's frugal lifestyle in Thailand does not mean he's compromising on his health or social life.

He's proactive about his well-being, often turning to alternative medicine and supplements readily available in Thailand.

He's also an active member of the local community.

'People from different countries come here, Walker shared. 'It has a huge retirement community.'

Retiring abroad for financial freedom is not unique to Walker.

Millions of older adults, including those from Australia, started spending their golden years in countries where their pensions could stretch further.

A significant number of Australian pensioners have started living overseas.

Walker shared some advice for those considering a similar move.

He recommended thoroughly researching the country's culture and cost of living.

He also advised visiting the country at least once before making a long-term commitment.

With his sights set on new horizons, Walker already planned his next adventure, which may take him to the sunny shores of Majorca.

Walker's story is a reminder that retirement can be the start of a new chapter filled with exploration, cultural immersion, and savings.
Key Takeaways

• John Walker, a 73-year-old retiree, found financial freedom by living on his $18,000 annual pension in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
  • Retiring abroad allowed him to save nearly 40 per cent of his income due to lower expenses.
  • Many retirees have been eyeing retirement in other countries, which has become a popular choice for millions of older adults on fixed incomes.
  • Walker advised retirees to conduct thorough research on their chosen country's culture and to visit at least once before moving in.
Have you ever considered retiring abroad? What destinations have captured your attention? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you stay well it's fine but many places in Asia don't have the medical facilities to cope with any serious situations as is proven in a couple of news items lately. I suffered from a serious issue when I had my last child, admittedly over 40 years ago but thankfully I had a great Aussie doctor where we were in Malaysia and I was fixed up quickly. If I had to go to a local hospital the outcome could have been much different. Things have changed over the years but in many cases they just don't have the money to fund the high end medical services we get here in Australia

If a pensioner is absent from Australia for more than 42 days they are meant to lost their pension and reapply when they return home so how come they are still getting it when living overseas??????
I was once threatened with that rule by Centrelink about 10 years ago so rearranged my return date to be within 42 days.

Yep Australia's cost of living is amongst the Highest in the World hence why so many people are living overseas. No worries about your Pension you inform the appropriate authorities which would be who is paying your Age Pension, another payment does cut off, and away you go.

Came home from Phuket in Thailand on Saturday after spending an eight night holiday there. My partner and I absolutely loved it. We took $1500 AUD and came home with nearly $500. We ate like kings, used taxis, had massages and went shopping. We visited Phuket last year too. Thai people are always smiling and nothing seems too much for them. A very relaxing lifestyle. One we maybe considering.

You do not lose your pension entirely. I cannot remember what the time is but we were on a world cruise and after a certain number of days you lose the utiliities only. Onviously you do not need them but they are reinstated when you return to Australia. They know when you return n need to advise centrelink

You do not lose your pension entirely. I cannot remember what the time is but we were on a world cruise and after a certain number of days you lose the utiliities only. Onviously you do not need them but they are reinstated when you return to Australia. They know when you return n need to advise centrelink
That’s correct the only thing you lose is any extra benefits eg rent assistance and utilities,you still receive your pension.

My wife is Thai. We have been married for 15 years now. We have built a home in Khon Kaen, my wife's home city, about 500km North-East of Bangkok. We use it as a holiday home and it is right alongside my wife's parent's home, and they use it as a second home and look after it. We visit there as often as permissible, two or three times a year. The cost to build a two-bedroom brick and iron home with all amenities was under AUD$40k. Thailand is absolutely fabulous. We have travelled from south to north. From as far south as Surat Thani on the western side of the gulf, Pattaya and Rayong on the northern side, all the way through to Bangkok, then Chiang Mai in the North-West, Loei, Udon Thani and Chiang Khan in the North. We have also holidayed on some of the most wonderful islands, Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Samet and Koh Larn. This is the most beautiful country in South-East Asia.

Reactions: Ezzy
I thought Australia living on a Australian pension weren't allowed to stay outside of the country for more than 3 months at a time?
On an Age Pension you can live anywhere you want, not on a jobseeker, disability, aus study any of those anything other than an AGE Pension goes.

Last edited:
It's after 12 weeks you start to have those things taken off, we have been on 4 World Cruises, and as I said it is only the Age Pension that you can do this with nothing else.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie
I thought Australia living on a Australian pension weren't allowed to stay outside of the country for more than 3 months at a time?
I thought the same, as many years ago I knew a couple who lived in Thailand, but received an Australian Pension. They would come back every 3 months for a week, then head back. That way they would still receive the pension.

Reactions: Ezzy
The mix of replies/reactions on this matter is very confusing. When hubby and I decided to retire in an Asian country, I was made to understand by Centrelink that with increased time spent outside Australia, we would lose the Aged Pension.

Not only that, when we recently went for a holiday and to catch up with relatives in the Philippines, we envisioned being away for only 3 weeks and knew we did not have to report to Centrelink for such a short period. But then, my husband suffered a heart attack while on holiday. Thankfully, he got a an excellent team of doctors and nurses who saw us through that time of crises.

Have you ever tried contacting Centrelink by phone in Australia and being left hanging on the phone for as much as an hour? Well, from Manila, I tried to contact Centrelink countless times - to inform them of a delay in our return date to Australia. But I couldn't get anyone to answer Centrelink's overseas number. And trying to send Centrelink an email through MyGov was simply impossible!

To top it all, when we finally got back to Australia, we discovered that Centrelink had cut off our pension for all the fortnights we were away! It took us some time to have our Pension re-instated and we were not reimbursed the amounts which should have been paid during our absence.

Now, we read that some Aussie pensioners have been living the life of Riley, without any of their Aged Pension being forfeited. Is there some form of discrimination within Centrelink, depending with whom you ask for clarification on the phone?

Emwick

The mix of replies/reactions on this matter is very confusing. When hubby and I decided to retire in an Asian country, I was made to understand by Centrelink that with increased time spent outside Australia, we would lose the Aged Pension.

Not only that, when we recently went for a holiday and to catch up with relatives in the Philippines, we envisioned being away for only 3 weeks and knew we did not have to report to Centrelink for such a short period. But then, my husband suffered a heart attack while on holiday. Thankfully, he got a an excellent team of doctors and nurses who saw us through that time of crises.

Have you ever tried contacting Centrelink by phone in Australia and being left hanging on the phone for as much as an hour? Well, from Manila, I tried to contact Centrelink countless times - to inform them of a delay in our return date to Australia. But I couldn't get anyone to answer Centrelink's overseas number. And trying to send Centrelink an email through MyGov was simply impossible!

To top it all, when we finally got back to Australia, we discovered that Centrelink had cut off our pension for all the fortnights we were away! It took us some time to have our Pension re-instated and we were not reimbursed the amounts which should have been paid during our absence.

Now, we read that some Aussie pensioners have been living the life of Riley, without any of their Aged Pension being forfeited. Is there some form of discrimination within Centrelink, depending with whom you ask for clarification on the phone?

Emwick
No you can live anywhere in the World and collect your Age Pension minus the winter supplements and those things. End of story