'I had to go to the emergency department': Global food trend puts one Aussie to the hospital

Disclaimer: This article contains graphic depictions of injury. Reader discretion is advised.

The internet is a treasure trove of culinary inspiration.

Food trends pop up from every corner of social media, promising to tantalise taste buds and add a bit of excitement to daily meal routines.

However, some of these trends could come with hidden dangers.

A recent salad trend led to a severe injury to one Australian woman.

Fitness content creator Bec Hargrave injured herself after an attempt to recreate a cucumber salad popularised by food content creator Logan Moffit.

Moffit's recipes have inspired many to try their hand at this seemingly simple dish.

He is often spotted using a mandolin slicer—a kitchen tool that, while handy, could be incredibly dangerous if not used correctly.

Hargrave learned about the risks the hard way.

compressed-bec hargrave.jpeg
Bec Hargrave shared her story about a mandolin slicer in one of her videos. Image Credit: TikTok/Bec Hargrave

'It was my first time using a mandolin. I'd just bought it from Kmart and didn't realise it came with a guard,' she shared in a video.

'I didn't think to look because I haven't seen other people using a guard when doing their cucumber trend videos.'

'The cut went all the way down to the fat layer of my skin, and I had to go to the emergency department,' she added.

'It took a good chunk of my flesh off, which sounds disgusting because it was,' Hargrave said in a video titled 'Trend Gone Wrong'.

The injury forced her to go through a lengthy healing process.

Some social media users also shared their sentiments about using mandolins.

'This exact thing happened to me two days ago,' said someone who shared the same fate as Hargrave.

'The single most terrifying kitchen tool', another commenter wrote.

'I'm always so scared to use a mandolin,' a third stated.

This incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of kitchen safety, especially when using sharp tools.

Mandolin slicers come with sharp blades designed to slice vegetables with ease.

However, it can also slice through the skin easily.

The Kmart mandolin slicer came with a warning which read, 'Keep out of reach of children, sharp blades, use carefully when operating and washing to avoid injury.'

Watch Logan Moffit's viral cucumber salad recipe here:

Source: @logagm/Tiktok

For those who love to cook and are eager to try new recipes, always prioritise safety in the kitchen.

If you're using a mandolin slicer at home, make sure to use the finger guard, keep your fingers away from the blades, and work slowly.

Alternatively, you can use a regular knife to slice any vegetables needed for your dishes.

After all, cooking and recreating recipes should be a joy, not a hazard.
Key Takeaways

• Fitness content creator Bec Hargrave ended up in the emergency department after attempting a viral cucumber salad recipe.
  • Hargrave cut herself badly after using a mandolin slicer without the safety guard.
  • The incident prompted a warning about the dangers of using mandolins without a finger guard or any safety tools.
  • The viral cucumber salad recipe, popularised by food content creator Logan Moffit, involved slicing a cucumber with a mandolin, which led to some injuries for other people.
Have you ever had a close call in the kitchen? Share your kitchen safety tips and experiences with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Mandolin or mandoline?
Speaking of dangerous objects around the home: how about razors, mousetraps, any kind of knife or fork, scissors, ladders, electrical outlets, roller chairs, skates ... how far must you go to show that ANYTHING used in a way that it's not designed for is dangerous? Overkill?

Mandolin or mandoline?
Speaking of dangerous objects around the home: how about razors, mousetraps, any kind of knife or fork, scissors, ladders, electrical outlets, roller chairs, skates ... how far must you go to show that ANYTHING used in a way that it's not designed for is dangerous? Overkill?
True.

The article notes the user "...didn't realise it came with a guard..."

Using anything new without proper scrutiny could end up in injury.

People, read the print on packaging and any instruction sheet BEFORE you start using the thing.

As I said it before "I'm glad I'm old and dying" if these are the type of people who are now running or instructing others for our future.
I’m with you on your comment 👍🏼 Seriously, common sense & caution ⚠️ God forbid if some people still had to use an axe to chip firewood, or an old time mincer, let alone a very sharp bone handle knife to peel & cut veg, before they could begin to prepare dinner 🤦🏻‍♀️

The biggest problem in her life is that she doesn't know how to rinse the blonde treatment out of her hair ... she probably didn't read those instructions, either. If she had, she might have seen where they said,"Beware! Continual use of this treatment can have long-lasting, unwanted effects, including altering people's perceptions of your mental capabilities."

Last edited:
They used to say that a knife wasn't any good until you cut yourself!! Although these Japanese mandolins are the most dangerous, However if you use them correctly they are a perfect price of equipment, I've had for over years and still going strong although it doesn't get much now and yes I've cut my self a couple of times with the bugger?.

Last edited:
Mandolin or mandoline?
You forgot members of your family....

True.

The article notes the user "...didn't realise it came with a guard..."

Using anything new without proper scrutiny could end up in injury.

People, read the print on packaging and any instruction sheet BEFORE you start using the thing.
We use a cleaver at the moment which can be dangerous but great for chopping pumpkin.When l buy something l take everything out of the package to make sure it's all there.lf she had done that she would have noticed the guard. l have yet to find a good slicer,grater etc can anyone recommend one?.

We use a cleaver at the moment which can be dangerous but great for chopping pumpkin.When l buy something l take everything out of the package to make sure it's all there.lf she had done that she would have noticed the guard. l have yet to find a good slicer,grater etc can anyone recommend one?.
Cleavers are good for deterring home invaders....

But machetes are better!

Slicer I have a very sharp knife, Grater I use the very old round steel grater or I have a grater that sits on a plastic container which is good for small amounts like cheese