HSBC customers fight back against $6.3 million 'spoofing' scam

In an alarming trend that has seen Australians lose millions, a sophisticated 'spoofing' scam has targeted HSBC customers, leaving many without their life savings and calling for action.

The scam, which involves fraudsters disguising their phone numbers to make their text messages appear as legitimate communications from the bank, has prompted a group of victims to demand accountability and stronger protective measures.

The scam operates by sending a text message that warns of suspicious transactions, causing the recipient to panic and call a number that connects them to a fake fraud team.

This team, complete with an HSBC on-hold message, is actually a group of scammers waiting to extract personal information and gain access to the victims' accounts.

shutterstock_1604416963.jpg
HSBC customers lost $6.3 million to ‘spoofing’ scam. Image source: Shutterstock

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has disclosed that over $6.3 million was lost to this HSBC scam in just eight months up to March 2024.

Reports to Scamwatch in 2023 indicate that HSBC customers have suffered the highest losses to bank impersonation scams.

A support group for the victims, which has grown to more than 40 members, suggested that the number of affected individuals could be much higher.

The group's leader, Sunni Wan, who herself lost close to $50,000, expressed her shock at the growing number of victims reaching out for help.

‘Every time someone reaches out to me, I'm like, “Oh my God, another one.” This is a huge matter, and it's been ongoing for 10 months,’ she said.

The loss of these funds has had a significant impact on her life, causing her to fall behind on mortgage payments and experience considerable stress.

The Melbourne resident, Mary Yu, also fell victim to the scam and lost almost $50,000 after disclosing her personal information to a representative she believed was from HSBC.

‘They gained full access into my mobile banking account and so they obviously removed my device and added their own device into it and changed the daily limits,’ she recalled.

HSBC's stance on the matter has been to refuse reimbursement for many affected customers, citing that the victims provided partial information to the scammers.

The ACCC's new National Anti-Scam Centre issued an alert in February, warning HSBC customers about the scam and confirming that it had raised concerns with the bank.

However, victims and consumer advocates argued that the response has been insufficient and that urgent action is needed to prevent further losses.

Stephanie Tonkin, CEO of the Consumer Action Law Centre, has called for HSBC to fortify its systems and for the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) to investigate how these spoofing messages are getting through.

‘We need to be stopping them from reaching customers and the only way we're going to do that is if business steps up and protects its own customers,’ she stated.

A spokesperson for ACMA declined to comment on ‘anti-scam compliance and enforcement matters in train’.

They shared: ‘Telcos that breach an ACMA direction to comply […] may face penalties of up to $250,000.’

The federal government has plans to introduce an SMS sender ID registry to protect businesses from being impersonated by scammers, but consumer advocates feel that these measures are not being implemented quickly enough.

HSBC has declined to comment on individual cases, maintaining that it educates its clients about security and never asks for sensitive information over the phone.

‘We will never ask them to provide their PINs, passwords or verification codes on a phone call, in response to a text message or email,’ a company spokesperson said.

Despite these assurances, the mental and financial toll on victims remains high.

The victims, led by Sunni Wan, are not only seeking answers but also demanding that HSBC acknowledge its duty of care to its customers.

They argued that the bank should be held liable for the losses incurred due to the scam.

You can learn more about this scam here:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• Australians are losing substantial sums of money due to a sophisticated 'spoofing' scam targeting HSBC customers, with losses exceeding $6.3 million.
  • The scam involves fraudsters sending texts that appear to come from the bank, prompting recipients to call a fake fraud team and disclose personal information.
  • Victims and consumer advocates are calling for urgent action, with proposals for tighter security measures and investigations by regulatory bodies.
  • HSBC has declined to reimburse many affected customers, citing that they provided partial information to the scammers, which has prompted calls for the bank to take more responsibility for customer security.
Have you or someone you know been affected by a similar scam? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Where is the accountability of customers not to give their banking details to someone without reaching the bank themselves? How many times do they have to be warned - there are leaflets etc in their own language

Once again it’s only a scam because idiots fall for it!
How many times do banks have to tell people they don’t send emails or text messages asking you to respond to phone numbers or links.
They will ALWAYS ask you to contact the Bank direct!
I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER for fools who respond to nay link or phone number in texts or emails.
And even less sympathy for those who hand over personal details.
”A fool and their money are easily parted”!

Where is the accountability of customers not to give their banking details to someone without reaching the bank themselves? How many times do they have to be warned - there are leaflets etc in their own language
Couldn’t agree more..
Its always everyone else’s fault.

Reactions: relljube
No need to stop using text messages.
It states in genuine text messages not to respond but to ring the bank!
But unfortunately people are too stupid !
Stop using text messages to communicate and adopt similar responsibilities as the UK Banks regarding scams.

Reactions: relljube
Once again it’s only a scam because idiots fall for it!
How many times do banks have to tell people they don’t send emails or text messages asking you to respond to phone numbers or links.
They will ALWAYS ask you to contact the Bank direct!
I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER for fools who respond to nay link or phone number in texts or emails.
And even less sympathy for those who hand over personal details.
”A fool and their money are easily parted”!
You may feel toward these people as you like, it is irrelevant, the push for impersonal banking was not the fools idea it was the Banks. Closing branches, no teller contact and electronic banking to save money was the industry's idea and they need to accept responsibility for their flawed system. The saying is "A fool and his money is soon parted".

You may feel toward these people as you like, it is irrelevant, the push for impersonal banking was not the fools idea it was the Banks. Closing branches, no teller contact and electronic banking to save money was the industry's idea and they need to accept responsibility for their flawed system. The saying is "A fool and his money is soon parted".
I know the actual saying!
I deliberately changed it to fool!
Because that’s exactly what they are if they respond to theses messages.. FOOLS!
The Banks are not sitting beside these fools and telling them to respond!
When a Bank sends a message they State: Do not respond to this message, contact your bank!

WoW is this one of the most contentious issues in this forum. Whilst we here at SDC are kept informed and up to date with scams etc, not everybody has that knowledge base to fall back on. Every time news of a new scam hits these pages we seem to have a hard core bunch of insensitive, uncaring individuals spouting the same rhetoric over and over. A little bit of empathy wouldn't go astray, just saying 🤔

WoW is this one of the most contentious issues in this forum. Whilst we here at SDC are kept informed and up to date with scams etc, not everybody has that knowledge base to fall back on. Every time news of a new scam hits these pages we seem to have a hard core bunch of insensitive, uncaring individuals spouting the same rhetoric over and over. A little bit of empathy wouldn't go astray, just saying 🤔
No sorry but scams have been given so much airtime on all media that you can't say you were not warned. The problem is that ppl do not want to spend the time to think before they act. Their time is too valuable to waste investigating the source of the text or calling the bank etc at their published contact point. If you want to pontificate, how about - stop, look and think!

Reactions: Nina_59
I am surprised this is HSBC. I've dealt with them for many years as they have one of the best foreign currencies cards for travelling. Their protocols to get into online banking are actually rather convoluted. I'd be suspicious of them if it was easy.

Their turn will come.

At what point is personal responsibility going to be enforced, people keep on providing these scammers with information abetting them with access to their accounts, often with the promise of huge rewards. Greedy people getting caught out then claiming somebody else is responsible.

Please explain why one has to have their banking details on their mobile and deal with their bank on their mobile - all theses apps people load onto their mobile just gives these thieves access to you and no one sees anything wrong with that - in the environment we find ourselves none of us should be doing/adding a back door for these scum! Within days of having to supply my mobile to someone I deal with online I statrted getting the Aust Post "parcel unable to be delivered" crap - I have an account with Aust Post and all dealings are done via my computer, deliveries etc are notifications that arrive via email I use MailWasher Pro and can vet all emails BEFORE they get onto my computer - I can unsubscribe to those uninvited emails as well- and I get a lot. I refuse to have apps on my phone and computer that I do not have a viable need for - never buy on Facebook or any other forum - I buy from reputable firms within OZ and reputable sellers on ebay and as yet have never been scammed!

For God's sake, if you receive any notification by msg from a bank, DO NOT RESPOND!!!! Ring the bank directly!!! Why are people still falling for this crap, and why should the banks be held responsible???

Please explain why one has to have their banking details on their mobile and deal with their bank on their mobile - all theses apps people load onto their mobile just gives these thieves access to you and no one sees anything wrong with that - in the environment we find ourselves none of us should be doing/adding a back door for these scum! Within days of having to supply my mobile to someone I deal with online I statrted getting the Aust Post "parcel unable to be delivered" crap - I have an account with Aust Post and all dealings are done via my computer, deliveries etc are notifications that arrive via email I use MailWasher Pro and can vet all emails BEFORE they get onto my computer - I can unsubscribe to those uninvited emails as well- and I get a lot. I refuse to have apps on my phone and computer that I do not have a viable need for - never buy on Facebook or any other forum - I buy from reputable firms within OZ and reputable sellers on ebay and as yet have never been scammed!
Well said - I am amazed at the info people put on their mobile phones which can be scanned when someone walks past them with a skimmer in their purse/briefcase. All so that they do not have to carry a wallet/purse etc. Foolish people just scan their phones on the scanners at the supermarket with no fear of security! My keycard has a skim limit of $100 as security - pin # required above that amount. The keycard is stored in my wallet inside an RFID card protector. Paranoid - maybe but at least I feel comfortable in this security. If this is breeched I will deal with it then.

Some people never learn. They should get a job at the prison where they accidently release dangerous inmates. Their stupidity would fit right in.