How you can build a stylish ‘capsule wardrobe’ for less than $150

Sometimes, even though you might feel like your wardrobe is in need of an upgrade, you hold off on shopping because you’d rather spend the money on more groceries or other essential items. We know – we feel the same way.

But there are ways to make a stylish improvement to your everyday clothes without breaking the bank – and as one savvy shopper showed recently, you don’t need to spend more than $150 to build a lasting wardrobe.

A clever Kmart fan named Emma Hanson recently showcased her budget-friendly capsule wardrobe haul that gained incredible attention online, proving that fashionable finds can come at a surprisingly low cost.

The thrifty shopper with over 30,000 followers shared her exciting haul from Kmart, where she managed to acquire chic items for a total value of less than $150.

shop1.jpg
Emma shared her budget finds online. Credit: Kai Pilger/Pexels

Emma’s video has now gone viral, amassing nearly 85,000 views as her fellow bargain hunters marvel at her fabulous yet affordable finds.

‘You are not going to believe what I have found,’ she said in the clip.

‘Come unpack my haul with me.’

The video began with her showcasing the pieces on camera.

‘Some of these pieces are as low as $4. What!? My coffee doesn’t even cost $4,’ she said. She also shared her enthusiasm over Kmart’s Sleeveless Rib True Knit Tank Tops.

‘I love the cut of this,' she remarked.

shop2.jpg
Emma showed her shopping haul to her followers. Credit: emmajanehanson/TikTok

Priced at just $15, Emma said she couldn't resist buying the top in two different colours, adding: ‘I love it so much I got it in brown as well. I've seen so many of these knit basics... but for like $80 or $90. Not $15. You're kidding me.’

For those of you with a keen eye for accessories, Emma also found a charming bracelet – Kmart’s Chunky Chain Gold Look Bracelet – at the astonishingly low price of just $4.

Additionally, she showcased a Short Sleeve Printed T-Shirt worth $9, perfect for adding a touch of casual sophistication to your wardrobe.

‘I’m loving a striped tee at the moment. And I found this plain striped tee again from Kmart. Such a good fit,’ she said in the clip.

But the fabulous finds weren't just limited to Kmart – Hanson also made a purchase at H&M, scoring the perfect charcoal jumper for a modest $27.99.

Describing the fit, Hanson said it was ‘kind of a little oversized, a little bit loose, but not enough to make you feel like you're drowning in it. It's still got a bit of shape to it.’

However, the pièce de résistance of her haul was a stunning White Bouclé Jacket with gold buttons, strikingly similar in appearance to a luxury Chanel piece but at a fraction of the price.

This sophisticated find from H&M came in only at $69. However, as of writing, the price has risen to $79.99.

Also, Emma shared her initial scepticism, admitting: ‘I fully thought I would hate it. I saw it online first.’

And then her excitement took a complete turn: 'But I mean, the length, the colour, the buttons — $69. I love that it can be dressed down with jeans, a white tee and flats. Or you could dress it up with heels and white suit pants or black suit pants. I was not expecting to love it this much, and I'm obsessed. Run, don’t walk.'

Emma's social media followers were just as enthusiastic about her fashion finds.

‘I am obsessed with your style,’ one commented.

‘You should become a personal shopper for those of us who hate spending money on clothes. I live for these hauls,’ another suggested.

‘Love them all. Great shopping,’ one more replied.

‘We are obsessed with everything,’ another one responded.

Some social media users from the US also commented on the video, wishing they had access to bargains and lamenting the absence of Kmart in the US.

You can watch Emma’s video below:

But what is a capsule wardrobe?

The ‘capsule wardrobe’ has become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. Having a capsule wardrobe means having a limited amount of clothing in neutral colours, but that allows for maximum versatility and style.

First, start with the basics. These items should be timeless and made of better quality fabrics that will last longer and stay in better condition.

Next, determine your colour palette. This will provide a solid foundation and enable you to mix and match pieces to create different outfits.

Then, add some unique, statement pieces to give any outfit an extra flair. This also helps create your personal style.

Finally, make sure to stay organised when building a capsule wardrobe. This helps you categorise garments to create visually interesting outfits.

Key Takeaways

• Emma Hanson, a savvy shopper with more than 30,000 followers, has shared her Kmart 'capsule wardrobe' haul on social media, which cost under $150.
  • Her video, featuring bargain clothing items from Kmart and H&M, has received nearly 85,000 views and enthusiastic comments from viewers admiring her style and bargains.
  • Some internet users from the US commented on the video, expressing their wishes for a Kmart in the US to access similar clothing deals.
  • Emma’s haul video demonstrates the potential for significant savings on stylish clothing items by shopping at stores like Kmart and H&M, appealing to budget-conscious shoppers.
Have any of you tried creating a capsule wardrobe? What’s your secret? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tillybug and Maiyon
Sponsored
really? new name for an age old way of being a savvy buyer. It's all I've ever known. It was simply called a basic wardrobe and you created new outfits by accessories or swapping combos around. Does everything need to be reinvented and just given a new name.
Does she really think that others haven't also done the same. Even my grandmother did that (she was born in 1905). Everything was mix and match, and they redyed garments that were looking a bit worn to a darker colour.
I just get so frustrated listening or reading about these youngsters "new" ideas that are old as the hills.

What a load of rubbish - J am able to shop for things without the help of anyone else who thinks they are the first to think of things!! All these stupid Tim took people are sooooooo annoying!

Reactions: Penny4
Sometimes, even though you might feel like your wardrobe is in need of an upgrade, you hold off on shopping because you’d rather spend the money on more groceries or other essential items. We know – we feel the same way.

But there are ways to make a stylish improvement to your everyday clothes without breaking the bank – and as one savvy shopper showed recently, you don’t need to spend more than $150 to build a lasting wardrobe.

A clever Kmart fan named Emma Hanson recently showcased her budget-friendly capsule wardrobe haul that gained incredible attention online, proving that fashionable finds can come at a surprisingly low cost.

The thrifty shopper with over 30,000 followers shared her exciting haul from Kmart, where she managed to acquire chic items for a total value of less than $150.

View attachment 20361
Emma shared her budget finds online. Credit: Kai Pilger/Pexels

Emma’s video has now gone viral, amassing nearly 85,000 views as her fellow bargain hunters marvel at her fabulous yet affordable finds.

‘You are not going to believe what I have found,’ she said in the clip.

‘Come unpack my haul with me.’

The video began with her showcasing the pieces on camera.

‘Some of these pieces are as low as $4. What!? My coffee doesn’t even cost $4,’ she said. She also shared her enthusiasm over Kmart’s Sleeveless Rib True Knit Tank Tops.

‘I love the cut of this,' she remarked.

View attachment 20362
Emma showed her shopping haul to her followers. Credit: emmajanehanson/TikTok

Priced at just $15, Emma said she couldn't resist buying the top in two different colours, adding: ‘I love it so much I got it in brown as well. I've seen so many of these knit basics... but for like $80 or $90. Not $15. You're kidding me.’

For those of you with a keen eye for accessories, Emma also found a charming bracelet – Kmart’s Chunky Chain Gold Look Bracelet – at the astonishingly low price of just $4.

Additionally, she showcased a Short Sleeve Printed T-Shirt worth $9, perfect for adding a touch of casual sophistication to your wardrobe.

‘I’m loving a striped tee at the moment. And I found this plain striped tee again from Kmart. Such a good fit,’ she said in the clip.

But the fabulous finds weren't just limited to Kmart – Hanson also made a purchase at H&M, scoring the perfect charcoal jumper for a modest $27.99.

Describing the fit, Hanson said it was ‘kind of a little oversized, a little bit loose, but not enough to make you feel like you're drowning in it. It's still got a bit of shape to it.’

However, the pièce de résistance of her haul was a stunning White Bouclé Jacket with gold buttons, strikingly similar in appearance to a luxury Chanel piece but at a fraction of the price.

This sophisticated find from H&M came in only at $69. However, as of writing, the price has risen to $79.99.

Also, Emma shared her initial scepticism, admitting: ‘I fully thought I would hate it. I saw it online first.’

And then her excitement took a complete turn: 'But I mean, the length, the colour, the buttons — $69. I love that it can be dressed down with jeans, a white tee and flats. Or you could dress it up with heels and white suit pants or black suit pants. I was not expecting to love it this much, and I'm obsessed. Run, don’t walk.'

Emma's social media followers were just as enthusiastic about her fashion finds.

‘I am obsessed with your style,’ one commented.

‘You should become a personal shopper for those of us who hate spending money on clothes. I live for these hauls,’ another suggested.

‘Love them all. Great shopping,’ one more replied.

‘We are obsessed with everything,’ another one responded.

Some social media users from the US also commented on the video, wishing they had access to bargains and lamenting the absence of Kmart in the US.

You can watch Emma’s video below:

But what is a capsule wardrobe?

The ‘capsule wardrobe’ has become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. Having a capsule wardrobe means having a limited amount of clothing in neutral colours, but that allows for maximum versatility and style.

First, start with the basics. These items should be timeless and made of better quality fabrics that will last longer and stay in better condition.

Next, determine your colour palette. This will provide a solid foundation and enable you to mix and match pieces to create different outfits.

Then, add some unique, statement pieces to give any outfit an extra flair. This also helps create your personal style.

Finally, make sure to stay organised when building a capsule wardrobe. This helps you categorise garments to create visually interesting outfits.

Key Takeaways

• Emma Hanson, a savvy shopper with more than 30,000 followers, has shared her Kmart 'capsule wardrobe' haul on social media, which cost under $150.
  • Her video, featuring bargain clothing items from Kmart and H&M, has received nearly 85,000 views and enthusiastic comments from viewers admiring her style and bargains.
  • Some internet users from the US commented on the video, expressing their wishes for a Kmart in the US to access similar clothing deals.
  • Emma’s haul video demonstrates the potential for significant savings on stylish clothing items by shopping at stores like Kmart and H&M, appealing to budget-conscious shoppers.
Have any of you tried creating a capsule wardrobe? What’s your secret? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!

hasn't anyone heard of sales. i purchase on line. i can take back if it doesn't fit, get refunded. and i would save hundreds by sale buying.

Reactions: Penny4