How to graciously accept a bottle of wine as a gift this holiday season, according to an etiquette expert

We all know the feeling – you're at a holiday party and one of your guests hands you a bottle of wine as a gift. You graciously accept it, but then the question arises: do you open it there and share it with your guest or do you wait?

If you're stuck on which option is the most proper and etiquette-friendly, never fear! Dr Lee, also known as @apwasiwine on TikTok, is here to guide us through the ins and outs of this tricky social situation.

In his video, Dr Lee pointed out that many people automatically open the bottle when they receive it as a gesture of appreciation – but this might not always be the best idea.

He claimed that while this shows signs that the recipient wants to share the wine with the 'giver', it is not the polite way to carry out this act according to proper etiquette standards.

'A bottle of wine has been gifted to you when a guest comes to your home. Do you open it or not? The bottle that you have been gifted is one that you have memories of,' he says in the clip.

Lee adds that if you were given the bottle as a gift, you might want to ask the 'giver' if it is alright to open the bottle, saying: 'Would it be alright if I opened this bottle, or not? The person that gave you the gift can be gracious enough to say "Well, I leave it up to you."'

'Or they would say "Absolutely, let's do that."'

The video has gone viral on social media, amassing more than 2.7 million views from users who were not aware that this was the proper manner of receiving liquors as gifts.

One user said: 'I know someone who would bring two bottles of wine. One for keeping and one for drinking.'

'You're much too polite, sir,' another joked.

IMG_20221211_220907.png
There is a polite way to show your appreciation for a gift of wine. Credit: TikTok/@apwasiwine.

One person argued that it is not always the case for other cultures, saying: 'This is highly dependent on local culture. Can be an affront to open or not to open, depending where you are,' another teased.

Meanwhile, others took the opportunity to thank Dr Lee for sharing some little-known etiquette tips on social media.

'Thank you for the video, sir. I always learn something new with your videos,' one person wrote.

Key Takeaways
A bottle of wine should not be opened the moment it is received as a gift. The proper etiquette is to ask the person who gave the gift if they would like to open it together.
If the person who gave the gift says it is up to the recipient, the recipient should open the bottle.
The video has gone viral, amassing more than 2.7 million views from users who were stunned by the proper etiquette standard.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you know the proper etiquette around gift-giving and receiving? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Sponsored
Proper way is if they give it in a gift bag and it's a birthday or Xmas I don't open it.

If they come for dinner and hand a bottle If wine then I open abd share it.

My cousin came for dinner a few years back and handed me two bottles of wine, when he saw we had alot If guests he said not to open them until the others leave.
We knew he and his wife would stay back they always did

Turns out each bottle was $500 each, I couldn't taste the difference , I looked the bottles up and even saw them for $750. Seriously who would pay that....my cousin

Hubby has a very expensive collection of scotch , brandy and other different alcoholic drinks that my cousin has given as well as our very rich neighbour

We have always taken a bottle of wine as a tradition when invited to a home dinner but never expect it to be opened. Mostly folks just put them away or share them later. I do not think it matters if the host wishes to open them at the occasion or not, depending on the circumstances. Some will give more expensive wine as a gift to retain others more a party drop (or two!)

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Proper way is if they give it in a gift bag and it's a birthday or Xmas I don't open it.

If they come for dinner and hand a bottle If wine then I open abd share it.

My cousin came for dinner a few years back and handed me two bottles of wine, when he saw we had alot If guests he said not to open them until the others leave.
We knew he and his wife would stay back they always did

Turns out each bottle was $500 each, I couldn't taste the difference , I looked the bottles up and even saw them for $750. Seriously who would pay that....my cousin

Hubby has a very expensive collection of scotch , brandy and other different alcoholic drinks that my cousin has given as well as our very rich neighbour
Aged Red wine as Grange Heritage a fine red, does taste different to a younger matured wine, (more mellow and richer flavour) but to my mind, the value is over-inflated except for the vino collectors. I sold my lot ( ok 3 bottles, LOL) deciding they should go to a more appreciative home.
The most amazing port I have tasted was from a cellar of a now departed person, bottled in 1865. It was magnificent.
I am not a wine or any alcoholic spirits expert just interested.

If you give someone a bottle of wine as a gift, then unless you specify whether it's to be opened or kept it's their choice, and you should have no cause to take offence either way.

Reactions: Ricci