How safe are Woolworths workers? Shocking number of violent incidents spark major changes

Woolworths workers often face the brunt of customer frustration, but a disturbing new figure revealed the true scale of violence they endure.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci unveiled to shareholders that over 3,000 acts of violence, threats and abuse against staff were reported in the past twelve months.

‘To be honest, it just feels like a dissonance in society,’ the executive said. ‘We accept that people are under pressure, but respect is fundamental.’

In response to the threats and violence, the company has been placing additional measures to protect its staff.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 103350.png
Woolworths is implementing additional security measures following more than 3,000 reported acts of violence, threats and abuse against its staff over the past year. Credit: Shutterstock

The CEO announced that Woolworths is investing in CCTV upgrades, two-way radio headsets and virtual reality violence and aggression training. The retailer is also working closely with the government to advocate legislative changes to protect retail workers.

Additionally, they partnered with Sonder, a non-profit organisation that provides health and support services, to provide their employees with unlimited access to health professionals and resources for safety and well-being support.

Mr Banducci admitted that they are uncomfortable taking this step.

‘It's our grand obsession to do everything for our customers—so to ask our customers to treat us with respect is something that has taken us a long time to say because of the DNA of Woolworths, but unfortunately, we feel compelled at this point,’ he explained.

Earlier this year, footage of a customer violently lashing out at a Woolworths employee made its rounds on social media. A female customer has been banned from the store in Leanyer, Darwin and reported to the police after physically and verbally attacking a supermarket staff.

You can read more about that story here.

Mr Banducci also paid tribute to the two employees who lost their lives in accidents during 2022-2023.

One of them was a contractor cleaner who passed away while operating a cleaning machine in Newcastle in November, and the other employee was a warehouse staff who passed away while engaging in equipment at a Woolworths distribution centre in Sydney last June.

‘We are fully co-operating with SafeWork New South Wales to ensure a thorough review is completed with no stone left unturned,’ the CEO assured.

Last Wednesday, October 25, Woolworths Group reported that the sales for the 14 weeks to October 1 have increased by 5.3 per cent, which amounts to $17.2 billion. The increase was reported to be driven by the supermarket business.

BIG W sales fell by 5.5 per cent compared to last year, but there’s an improvement in the latter part of the quarter.

‘While customers continue to be cautious and are trading down within categories, we are seeing solid growth in summer clothing and in opening price point products that offer real value,’ Mr Banducci said.

He also added that the Christmas trading period would be the key in determining the business’ success in the second half of the year.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is implementing additional security measures following more than 3,000 reported acts of violence, threats and abuse against its staff over the past year.
  • The supermarket will invest in CCTV upgrades, two-way radio headsets and virtual reality aggression training.
  • It has partnered with Sonder on an app that provides staff unlimited access to health professionals and resources for safety and wellbeing.
  • Woolworths also advocates for further legislative changes to protect retail workers in conjunction with the government.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them in the comments below!

Reactions: Mikeyboy2012
Sponsored
Not sure how upgrading more CCTV cameras will achieve anything. I believe staff are told not to intervene with thieves.
Just last week, a staff member at Coles told me that there are a couple of elderly customers on mobility scooters that stuff items down their clothing and pockets, but still pay for other items. They think the staff don't notice it.
Another local Coles store pays for security guards. They aren't allowed to touch the thieves, however they grab the trolley or their shopping bags from them. These guys are ruthless. I've even seen them trip a thief. What's the thief going to say if the thief protests and calls the police ... he tripped me because I was stealing?
It's not only supermarkets that have thieves. I've witnessed stealing at farmer's markets as well.

Last edited:
Woolworths workers often face the brunt of customer frustration, but a disturbing new figure revealed the true scale of violence they endure.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci unveiled to shareholders that over 3,000 acts of violence, threats and abuse against staff were reported in the past twelve months.

‘To be honest, it just feels like a dissonance in society,’ the executive said. ‘We accept that people are under pressure, but respect is fundamental.’

In response to the threats and violence, the company has been placing additional measures to protect its staff.

View attachment 33202
Woolworths is implementing additional security measures following more than 3,000 reported acts of violence, threats and abuse against its staff over the past year. Credit: Shutterstock

The CEO announced that Woolworths is investing in CCTV upgrades, two-way radio headsets and virtual reality violence and aggression training. The retailer is also working closely with the government to advocate legislative changes to protect retail workers.

Additionally, they partnered with Sonder, a non-profit organisation that provides health and support services, to provide their employees with unlimited access to health professionals and resources for safety and well-being support.

‘It's our grand obsession to do everything for our customers—so to ask our customers to treat us with respect is something that has taken us a long time to say because of the DNA of Woolworths, but unfortunately, we feel compelled at this point,’ he explained.

Earlier this year, footage of a customer violently lashing out at a Woolworths employee made its rounds on social media. A female customer has been banned from the store in Leanyer, Darwin and reported to the police after physically and verbally attacking a supermarket staff.

Mr Banducci also paid tribute to the two employees who lost their lives in accidents during 2022-2023.

One of them was a contractor cleaner who passed away while operating a cleaning machine in Newcastle in November, and the other employee was a warehouse staff who passed away while engaging in equipment at a Woolworths distribution centre in Sydney last June.

‘We are fully co-operating with SafeWork New South Wales to ensure a thorough review is completed with no stone left unturned,’ the CEO assured.

Last Wednesday, October 25, Woolworths Group reported that the sales for the 14 weeks to October 1 have increased by 5.3 per cent, which amounts to $17.2 billion. The increase was reported to be driven by the supermarket business.

BIG W sales fell by 5.5 per cent compared to last year, but there’s an improvement in the latter part of the quarter.

‘While customers continue to be cautious and are trading down within categories, we are seeing solid growth in summer clothing and in opening price point products that offer real value,’ Mr Banducci said.

He also added that the Christmas trading period would be the key in determining the business’ success in the second half of the year.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is implementing additional security measures following more than 3,000 reported acts of violence, threats and abuse against its staff over the past year.
  • The supermarket will invest in CCTV upgrades, two-way radio headsets and virtual reality aggression training.
  • It has partnered with Sonder on an app that provides staff unlimited access to health professionals and resources for safety and wellbeing.
  • Woolworths also advocates for further legislative changes to protect retail workers in conjunction with the government.

Having been a register operator I know first hand about being spat at, had things thrown at you, screamed at, threatened and abused....yet we personally are NOT allowed to do a thing about it...i was diagnosed with PTSD after one particularly terrifying incident....a lot more needs to be done to protect staff doing their job. And a lot of Managers need to do a thorough course on the mental health effects on staff!

Having been a register operator I know first hand about being spat at, had things thrown at you, screamed at, threatened and abused....yet we personally are NOT allowed to do a thing about it...i was diagnosed with PTSD after one particularly terrifying incident....a lot more needs to be done to protect staff doing their job. And a lot of Managers need to do a thorough course on the mental health effects on staff!
So sorry you had to deal with that dreadful, unwarranted behaviour towards you.

View attachment 33202

Key Takeaways

I feel for the poor young employees who cop it from feral customers who do the wrong thing and then strike out when they're caught.

It is the check-out staff who clearly bear the brunt of the price-gouging by Woolworth and its shareholders.

Reactions: Leenie
3000 in a year of 365 days is less than 10 per day across Australia (25 million people), although each incident is unpleasant for the recipient. How much of this is caused by the frustration of customers in response to price gouging by Woolworth and Coles? Both supermarket chains are happy to disable competition from the local family grocer/butcher/baker etc and do their best to reduce staff so as to increase profits.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
3000 in a year of 365 days is less than 10 per day across Australia (25 million people), although each incident is unpleasant for the recipient. How much of this is caused by the frustration of customers in response to price gouging by Woolworth and Coles? Both supermarket chains are happy to disable competition from the local family grocer/butcher/baker etc and do their best to reduce staff so as to increase profits.
Oh you have no idea!! Has ZERO to do with that and I mean ZERO...I worked for them over 15 yrs it's the disrespectful attitude that customers have "you're here to serve me ..no matter what I do" " I the customer am ALWAYS right"! So truly get your head out of your ass and go work amongst the actual people trying to help, the customers treat like us like shit! its a pity you have NOT EXPERIENCED it!!! but you think you have the right to BELITTLE these staff now with mental health issues!!

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Not sure where you live, but I have local independent grocery stores and independent bakery shops. Plus, Bakers Delight is at most shopping centres.

I'm always kind if staff are kind I was up in Queensland a month ago and went to Woollies used my rewards card to pay saw on the screen that it came up PAID so walked out the woman came running after me shouting you didn't pay I said I paid with rewards card so I walked back with her tried to explain how it works she ranted and raved that sh had worked there for 40 years don't know why that was relevant she didn't know the system and then just said just go she was incredibly rude went to the manager just to let them know they should teach all staff about the card or anything else that is new she just was as rude as the checkout lady and yes I reported it to Woolworths over the phone but I never got called back so I don't think any body did anything

• Wow
Reactions: DrivingGirl
Oh you have no idea!! Has ZERO to do with that and I mean ZERO...I worked for them over 15 yrs it's the disrespectful attitude that customers have "you're here to serve me ..no matter what I do" " I the customer am ALWAYS right"! So truly get your head out of your ass and go work amongst the actual people trying to help, the customers treat like us like shit! its a pity you have NOT EXPERIENCED it!!! but you think you have the right to BELITTLE these staff now with mental health issues!!
Having seen it happen in store to Woolworths staff at check outs, the abuse is not just unwarranted, it's totally a loss of RESPECT and MANNERS on the customers behalf. Bottom line is treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. This world is losing out badly in so many ways these days. IMO. 😉

Having seen it happen in store to Woolworths staff at check outs, the abuse is not just unwarranted, it's totally a loss of RESPECT and MANNERS on the customers behalf. Bottom line is treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. This world is losing out badly in so many ways these days. IMO. 😉
If you had bothered to understand what I wrote in perfectly clear English, I did not condone customers assaulting Woolworth's staff but simply indicated that one reason for customers assaulting staff might be that Woolworth's have ramped up prices (price-gouging) and do so every few weeks as do Coles and that also both have organised things to reduce competition (7days trading extended trading hours) from smaller businesses. Both have also reduced the number of check-out staff in favour of machines and the queues for both the machines and the normal tills have grown and are growing, which is frustrating for customers. Woolworths and Coles don't give a damn about providing service, just profits for their shareholders, and that is why people get angry and rude and unfortunately staff of both companies, being in the "front line" cop the frustration and anger. And sometimes the staff are not exactly polite either, which again may be because the customers are sometime a bit irritated.

Back in the 1980s Woolworth and Coles had two people at each check-out; one operating the till and the other bagging one's purchases. But employing people costs money so the "bagger-chicks" lost their jobs first and then the "check-out" chicks got reduced in number and then those damned automatic check-out machines came into being so now the customers have to do unpaid work after waiting in a queue to do it. And not everywhere has an alternative shop where one can buy groceries and meat; I know one very good local butcher who had to close up because of Woolworth and Coles at the local shopping centre. That was one family business gone; and near where I live there were once another couple of other family businesses that suffered the same fate.

Yes, assault is not justified. 3000 assaults is a dramatic number but consider that there are 1112 Woolworth stores in Australia, that amounts to just under 3 assaults per store per year which is 3/365 per day. Which is probably statistically about the number of Post Offices that get robbed per day, or something. Given that there are 25 million people in Australia, we are behaved reasonably well. Try living in Port Moresby instead.

I witnessed a customer abusing a checkout operator because her English wasn't up to her standard. It was abusive, loud, mean and viscous. The poor girl was in tears.
I had to step in for her. My feeling was the woman's hearing was the problem, not the worker. I had no problem understanding her, so, i strongly suggested she gets a hearing check. Nobody should be forced to tolerate verbal abuse.

If you had bothered to understand what I wrote in perfectly clear English, I did not condone customers assaulting Woolworth's staff but simply indicated that one reason for customers assaulting staff might be that Woolworth's have ramped up prices (price-gouging) and do so every few weeks as do Coles and that also both have organised things to reduce competition (7days trading extended trading hours) from smaller businesses. Both have also reduced the number of check-out staff in favour of machines and the queues for both the machines and the normal tills have grown and are growing, which is frustrating for customers. Woolworths and Coles don't give a damn about providing service, just profits for their shareholders, and that is why people get angry and rude and unfortunately staff of both companies, being in the "front line" cop the frustration and anger. And sometimes the staff are not exactly polite either, which again may be because the customers are sometime a bit irritated.

Back in the 1980s Woolworth and Coles had two people at each check-out; one operating the till and the other bagging one's purchases. But employing people costs money so the "bagger-chicks" lost their jobs first and then the "check-out" chicks got reduced in number and then those damned automatic check-out machines came into being so now the customers have to do unpaid work after waiting in a queue to do it. And not everywhere has an alternative shop where one can buy groceries and meat; I know one very good local butcher who had to close up because of Woolworth and Coles at the local shopping centre. That was one family business gone; and near where I live there were once another couple of other family businesses that suffered the same fate.

Yes, assault is not justified. 3000 assaults is a dramatic number but consider that there are 1112 Woolworth stores in Australia, that amounts to just under 3 assaults per store per year which is 3/365 per day. Which is probably statistically about the number of Post Offices that get robbed per day, or something. Given that there are 25 million people in Australia, we are behaved reasonably well. Try living in Port Moresby instead.
I wasn't replying to your long winded RANT.......I was replying to Lisa's comments and the absolute lack of RESPECT and GOOD MANNERS that some customers have for Supermarket staff that I have witnessed.....these people are NOT paid to put up with this sort of VERBAL ABUSE from ANYONE, at ANYTIME during their work shift on the registers....PERIOD. As for the Figures, 3000 ASSAULTS (Verbal or Physical) is 3000 TOO MANY, and they are only the ones that are reported....and lets just stick to Woolworths stats and forget bringing in Australia Post ROBBERIES (?) for example, that has absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing, nor does living in PORT MORESBY either.

Reactions: Lisa

Yes, assault is not justified. 3000 assaults is a dramatic number but consider that there are 1112 Woolworth stores in Australia, that amounts to just under 3 assaults per store per year which is 3/365 per day. Which is probably statistically about the number of Post Offices that get robbed per day, or something. Given that there are 25 million people in Australia, we are behaved reasonably well. Try living in Port Moresby instead
You sir are FULL OF IT!! what an absolute load of diahrrea just spewed out your mouth...get educated no one cares about Port Moresby! No one gives a crap about YOUR stats! It's not about YOU AND YOUR STATS it's about assaults on everyday workers WAKEY WAKEY!!