How rubbing your fingernails together daily boosts hair growth - “You think I’m crazy? Google it!”

All of us here at the SDC have had a bad haircut at least once in our lives and, at that moment, wished for a time machine that could fast forward us to when our hair had regrown enough to look decent again (as well as grabbing next week’s lotto numbers!)

Fortunately, if we ever have to endure a bad haircut again (hopefully not), one hairstylist revealed a peculiar yet simple trick that you can do daily for just a few minutes to promote hair growth.

tBsd5fqNjXdy-NWemkf9OSLBRN9zabEA9JwvLVJVyavU-ppbVHndwhiTljdnFS2VhRXhAW1yXbHTSz0bJjlQS3LHcZiVR5-kd62Yt8g1p9-YlPzqFs3-brXKnr2rbAWX8Hq0Kq9y
MIl_VcfxuW-JNpA--UO56oldX8RhWL0IMlBirlopE5uiQ5C0txcZxLydM22Iz1GU88wxb8ZbPv8nhRmRdt2S5zQlV0NpPjwfMLQt0Am0Hnecgq9g160B_RU30HWLbGgGMnkyZOhw

Helen Reavey demonstrating the unusual hair growth hack. Image Credit:actandacre

Helen Reavey, the founder of the haircare brand Act+Acre, suggests rubbing your fingernails every day for ten minutes to promote thicker and faster growing hair.

The trichologist explained that performing the hand motion triggers the brain to send signals to adult stem cells to reactivate dormant and unproductive hair follicles.

She also added that the motion also encourages blood flow to the hair follicles which in turn, provides you with healthier hair growth.

“You think I'm crazy? Google it.” she said in her TikTok video, demonstrating the trick.

The footage amassed a whopping 5 million views and 400 thousand likes, with hundreds of users swarming to the comments section to share their takes.

Video Credit: @actandacre

“You realize I'm doing this for the rest of my life now?” one user wrote.

“What if I don’t want hair on my fingernails?” teased a second.

“So THAT'S what flies are doing…” a third chimed in.

While a fourth mentioned that this was something they already knew: “I used to do that when I was a kid… My mom told me to do it to make my hair stronger.”

hAISxWoKZBrx2h_4sO-EVcmun8M7VLOJxalk5QHe_pb0Cggz6Wztkv3yJObZnxjsvrJa33QxVA1NuDjvENPCIE2I_D7W-s_EoPsfamZf3xDTn0Iw_eT7fsZyhDEFgHYcK9KBiSZu

Image Credit: Expert Home Tips

The practice is commonly known as ‘Balayam’, which is a form of yoga practice believed to improve health.

HealthShots further explains the trick, saying: “This practice shows its impact on the hair as the nerves below the nail bed are connected to the scalp and regular nail rubbing stimulates blood flow and oxygen to the scalp.”

“It also helps rejuvenate hair follicles and enhance hair growth by controlling DHT (Dihydrotestosterone).”

Medical experts also believe that ending your shower with a 30-second blast of cold water can help strengthen your hair and leave it looking softer.

According to Beauty Heaven, cold showers flatten the hair follicles and increase their ability to grip onto the scalp. This leads to shinier, stronger and healthier hair overall.

There’s no harm in trying it out, right? What are your thoughts on this story? Share it with us in the comments!

Want hair tips from a medical professional? Watch the video below!

Video Credit: Anthony Youn, MD

Sponsored
My credentials: I started losing my hair in my late twenties. I am a female. I do not have the beautiful bone structure of a Jada Pinkett Smith so I have been looking like cr*p ever since. I refuse to wear wigs, because why should I suffer that discomfort just to meet society's expectations of what constitutes female beauty?

So; Balayam has not been scientifically proven. The trichologist says (according to the article), You think I'm crazy? Google it.” she said in her TikTok video, demonstrating the trick.

Really? All you'll find on Google is the usual bumf of before and photos and experts that spend 25 minutes leading you down various garden paths only to tell you at the end that you have to sign up for their product.

If this trichologist wants to revolutionise her industry, why not set up a proper study (under the auspices of a credentialled research institution) and have a group of balding people rub their fingernails for as many months as it takes and then publish the results?

The person/body who discovers a real solution to end baldness will not only become wealthier than Elon Musk, but will get a Nobel prize at the same time.

Sounds highly suss to me but what do I know? If it worked wouldn't my doctor know about it and wouldn't he have said something when I spoke to him about hair loss?

I'm sure this myth was invented for the sake of views. There are several ways to make hair thick, but they are not related to nails. The diet corresponding to the problem can create a miracle — but only if you have self-discipline, patience, and willingness to stick to proper nutrition for a long time. People who have no hair at all are less fortunate. Although now, there is an opportunity to make a hair transplant miami to get a head of hair. Next, you need to choose products designed to increase the volume and density of hair, for example, Redken High Rise Volume or any other company you trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci