How one phone call cost this woman her entire $30,000 inheritance

When you receive a call from an unknown number, do you answer it or let it ring?

For 54-year-old Sharon Watkins, answering a call from an unknown number on her cell phone wasn’t a big deal. But what happened next saw her life change unexpectedly—and not in a good way.

The person on the other end told Ms Watkins that she would be charged $99 if she didn’t cancel her Amazon Prime account, which is a paid subscription service.

According to Ms Watkins, she had signed up for the streaming service but found that she wasn’t using it. The medical receptionist responded to the recorded message and agreed to speak to somebody who said they were from Amazon to cancel the account and avoid the charge.

However, things took a turn for the worse.

In a short amount of time, Ms Watkins, who lives in the rural community of Woomelang, found herself scammed out of her entire savings of $30,000, left to her by her late mother.

amazon1 (1).jpg
Ms Watkins was scammed out of her life savings. Credit: Amazon Prime

Ms Watkins said she only answered the call from the mobile number because she thought it might’ve been a tradesperson she was waiting to hear from.

‘It was an automated call, saying my Amazon Prime free trial was about to expire and if I didn't want to incur a $99 credit out of my account, I needed to press one and cancel it,’ the woman told reporters.

And so, she followed the instructions and pressed one.

‘I was put through to a woman. I told her I wanted to cancel and she asked me why. I said “I don’t use it all that much”, and she said that it was fine, and proceeded to ask me to download an app to fill in an online cancellation form,’ Ms Watkins added.

Ms Watkins was then instructed to download an app called Zoho Assist, which she did.

Based on research, the app itself is legitimate. Its purpose is to allow the user to access another computer remotely when given permission. However, it can be assumed that anyone who asks you to download an app to cancel a service should be taken as a red flag.

When Ms Watkins tried to fill out a form online based on the instructions given to her, she encountered an error message.

The woman on the other end of the line transferred Ms Watkins to her ‘supervisor’ to resolve the issue.

‘I was speaking to someone called David who asked me to go into my Amazon account to verify the card that I used for my transactions and purchases,’ she said before adding that David asked Ms Watkins to go into her bank account and verify that ‘everything was okay’.

At this point, Ms Watkins stated that she still had no suspicions, except for the fact that the cancellation seemed to be taking a while.

‘I wanted to make sure I wasn't charged $99. That was all I was thinking about.’

amazon2.jpg
Ms Watkins claimed that she spoke to a man named David, who had asked her to verify her card. Credit: Largo Polacsek/Pexels

Ms Watkins then told David that she had to go, and he asked if he could call her again the next day. He said that the cancellation was taking a long time because her internet was slow.

‘He said, “tonight don't use your internet and it probably won't take as long tomorrow”. I immediately had a bad thought,’ Ms Watkins shared.

She logged straight onto her bank account and noticed that there were two large transfers out of her savings and everyday bank account.

Shaking out of fear, she called Bendigo Bank immediately.

The bank told her that although they locked the account, they needed more time to investigate and weren’t sure if she’d get her money back.

Surprisingly enough, the scammer called Ms Watkins again the next morning and this gave her the chance to confront them.

‘I said, “Where’s my money?” He said, “You won’t get your money back.”’

Now, Ms Watkins wants to warn people about similar scams. She also said this whole ordeal is ‘destroying her’.

‘If you have any doubt whatsoever about a call, text or email out of the blue from a business or company you are associated with, stop communicating with them straight away and call them directly to verify it's legitimate,’ she explained.

In a recent update by reporters, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank said they will refund the money to Ms Watkins.

A spokesman claimed that Bendigo and Adelaide Bank take cybersecurity very seriously.

‘We use a combination of security best practices to safeguard our systems and protect customer data. We would like to take the opportunity to remind customers of the important role they play in keeping their information secure, as we continue to look for new ways to detect and neutralise threats to their online security,’ they added.

Meanwhile, Amazon said that they will never ask for credit card information to verify personal details or someone’s identity before helping with a customer service issue. They also stated they will never ask for payments over the phone or via email, and ask customers to buy a gift card for any service or download any software.

A spokeswoman for Amazon stated: ‘Although these scams take place outside our store, we will continue to invest in protecting customers and educating the public on scam avoidance.’

Scamwatch also warns consumers to never give an unsolicited caller remote access to a computer, or personal information, and to hang up immediately. If you or someone you know has fallen victim to a scam, alert the authorities and report it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Sharon Watkins had her bank account drained of $30,000, left to her by her late mother, after responding to a recorded message falsely claiming that she would be charged $99 if she didn't cancel her Amazon Prime account.
  • She was instructed to download an app called Zoho Assist.
  • Scamwatch warned users to never give an unsolicited caller remote access to a computer, or personal information, but to hang up.
Have you encountered something similar, members? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
When you receive a call from an unknown number, do you answer it or let it ring?

For 54-year-old Sharon Watkins, answering a call from an unknown number on her cell phone wasn’t a big deal. But what happened next saw her life change unexpectedly—and not in a good way.

The person on the other end told Ms Watkins that she would be charged $99 if she didn’t cancel her Amazon Prime account, which is a paid subscription service.

According to Ms Watkins, she had signed up for the streaming service but found that she wasn’t using it. The medical receptionist responded to the recorded message and agreed to speak to somebody who said they were from Amazon to cancel the account and avoid the charge.

In a short amount of time, Ms Watkins, who lives in the rural community of Woomelang, found herself scammed out of her entire savings of $30,000, left to her by her late mother.

View attachment 14922

Ms Watkins said she only answered the call from the mobile number because she thought it might’ve been a tradesperson she was waiting to hear from.

‘It was an automated call, saying my Amazon Prime free trial was about to expire and if I didn't want to incur a $99 credit out of my account, I needed to press one and cancel it,’ the woman told reporters.

‘I was put through to a woman. I told her I wanted to cancel and she asked me why. I said “I don’t use it all that much”, and she said that it was fine, and proceeded to ask me to download an app to fill in an online cancellation form,’ Ms Watkins added.

Ms Watkins was then instructed to download an app called Zoho Assist, which she did.

Based on research, the app itself is legitimate. Its purpose is to allow the user to access another computer remotely when given permission. However, it can be assumed that anyone who asks you to download an app to cancel a service should be taken as a red flag.

When Ms Watkins tried to fill out a form online based on the instructions given to her, she encountered an error message.

The woman on the other end of the line transferred Ms Watkins to her ‘supervisor’ to resolve the issue.

‘I was speaking to someone called David who asked me to go into my Amazon account to verify the card that I used for my transactions and purchases,’ she said before adding that David asked Ms Watkins to go into her bank account and verify that ‘everything was okay’.

At this point, Ms Watkins stated that she still had no suspicions, except for the fact that the cancellation seemed to be taking a while.

‘I wanted to make sure I wasn't charged $99. That was all I was thinking about.’

View attachment 14923
Ms Watkins claimed that she spoke to a man named David, who had asked her to verify her card. Credit: Largo Polacsek/Pexels

Ms Watkins then told David that she had to go, and he asked if he could call her again the next day. He said that the cancellation was taking a long time because her internet was slow.

‘He said, “tonight don't use your internet and it probably won't take as long tomorrow”. I immediately had a bad thought,’ Ms Watkins shared.

She logged straight onto her bank account and noticed that there were two large transfers out of her savings and everyday bank account.

The bank told her that although they locked the account, they needed more time to investigate and weren’t sure if she’d get her money back.

Surprisingly enough, the scammer called Ms Watkins again the next morning and this gave her the chance to confront them.

Now, Ms Watkins wants to warn people about similar scams. She also said this whole ordeal is ‘destroying her’.

‘If you have any doubt whatsoever about a call, text or email out of the blue from a business or company you are associated with, stop communicating with them straight away and call them directly to verify it's legitimate,’ she explained.

In a recent update by reporters, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank said they will refund the money to Ms Watkins.

A spokesman claimed that Bendigo and Adelaide Bank take cybersecurity very seriously.

‘We use a combination of security best practices to safeguard our systems and protect customer data. We would like to take the opportunity to remind customers of the important role they play in keeping their information secure, as we continue to look for new ways to detect and neutralise threats to their online security,’ they added.

Meanwhile, Amazon said that they will never ask for credit card information to verify personal details or someone’s identity before helping with a customer service issue. They also stated they will never ask for payments over the phone or via email, and ask customers to buy a gift card for any service or download any software.

A spokeswoman for Amazon stated: ‘Although these scams take place outside our store, we will continue to invest in protecting customers and educating the public on scam avoidance.’

Scamwatch also warns consumers to never give an unsolicited caller remote access to a computer, or personal information, and to hang up immediately. If you or someone you know has fallen victim to a scam, alert the authorities and report it here.
Key Takeaways

• Sharon Watkins had her bank account drained of $30,000, left to her by her late mother, after responding to a recorded message falsely claiming that she would be charged $99 if she didn't cancel her Amazon Prime account.
  • Scamwatch warned users to never give an unsolicited caller remote access to a computer, or personal information, but to hang up.
Have you encountered something similar, members? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
I'd love to get hold of one these thieving bastards and then post the results as a warning.

View attachment 14922

View attachment 14923

Key Takeaways

i was waiting for a parcel from UK, i got an email from ‘australia post’ saying they had a parcel but was on hold, because the address was wrong! after many phone calls to australia post, an email to the company in UK , IT WAS REVEALED A SCAM; with so many people buying on line, be very careful, fortunately i did enough research to realise it was a scam 😳😳 but i so easily could have been caught 😡

My husband and myself own and run an Australia Post Outlet. So lets be clear: Australia Post WILL NEVER ask for money to be paid before a parcel is delivered even its $1.13 or $0.99 - this is how these thieves get your details. Once they are in they are right in.
Can you imagine how much money is creamed off everyday because its only small amounts, $Millions worldwide.
Australia Post is "AUSPOST" - that is A U S P O S T nothing else
NOT - OzPost
NOT - AUSTPOST
While I am on the subject, Chullora in NSW must be an entire suburb of warehousing and light industrial where your online item will be sent from. We all think great, we are dealing with Australia. Then when it doesnt fit or the quality is garbage and we want to return it, then we find out that it has to be sent BACK OVERSEAS at ridiculous cost. The price of overseas postage is not the problem here, its the fact that Australian Govt know this is happening and continue to do nothing about it.
We all talk about scamming and yes its coming from the highest level all the way down to just around the corner, its everywhere.

Yet another person who didn't heed all the warnings that have been posted here & everywhere else for months now. Beside my phone (I use landline only) I have a list of all my friend's mobile numbers. If the number which shows up is not one I have listed I do not answer. The same applies for landline numbers. If I don't recognise the first 2 digits then I don't answer. Easy.

I have Amazon Prime & can't believe she doesn't watch it! Amazon Prime will never contact their customers while we are paying their subscription. On their website, you are able to cancel at any time. How crazy was she to take the bait from that scammer.

View attachment 14922

View attachment 14923

Key Takeaways

How many times do we have to be told, “Don’t give your bank account numbers to anyone over the phone, don’t click on links, contact your bank directly first to check if the call/message you’ve received is from them”?

I feel for this person but, PLEASE heed this advice - don’t reply before checking with your financial institution first. More than likely it’s a SCAM. I had a GENUINE caller once ask me for my account number over the phone & I just said I don’t give out my account number to any caller. Banks never ask you for your numbers over the phone; they will always ask you some security questions even when you phone them first. So BEWARE! And all this goes equally for allowing ‘remote access’ to your computer. Think how much information is on your computer that could lead to more scamming!

Last edited:

View attachment 14922

View attachment 14923

Key Takeaways

the excuses used for this are just stupid. I have received this scam several times and it is a recording anyway. I just say bugger off and hang up. This is one of many. Money is the root of all evil. A lot of sensible people replying.

View attachment 14922

View attachment 14923

Key Takeaways

Yesterday I had a call from a lady saying she was from Bankwest. I had an inkling why she was ringing me as I have a term deposit about to mature in two days time. Even thought I was 99.9% sure it was legitimate I told her with all the scams going around I would not give her my verbal password which was the first question asked. She was fine with that and said to ring Bankwest and ask to be put through to term deposit section. I did this and ended up back with the same lady. She was fine with me being vigilant. All good!

View attachment 14922

View attachment 14923

Key Takeaways

Yes, I did some time ago. twice in fact. The Amazon was one and another was allegedly Visa. Managed to get rid of them, its surprising how fast they can hang up when you catch them out. The Visa was about my Visa Credit card. I dont have one. Sad isn't it?

I agree with comments above. How many times do people have to be told not to answer calls they do not recognise and then give out personal information. Unfortunately you cannot help stupid people.
I hope YOU get caught one day!

Yesterday I had a call from a lady saying she was from Bankwest. I had an inkling why she was ringing me as I have a term deposit about to mature in two days time. Even thought I was 99.9% sure it was legitimate I told her with all the scams going around I would not give her my verbal password which was the first question asked. She was fine with that and said to ring Bankwest and ask to be put through to term deposit section. I did this and ended up back with the same lady. She was fine with me being vigilant. All good!
Very sensible. I have done exactly the same thing.

How many times do we have to be told, “Don’t give your bank account numbers to anyone over the phone, don’t click on links, contact your bank directly first to check if the call/message you’ve received is from them”?

I feel for this person but, PLEASE heed this advice - don’t reply before checking with your financial institution first. More than likely it’s a SCAM. I had a GENUINE caller once ask me for my account number over the phone & I just said I don’t give out my account number to any caller. Banks never ask you for your numbers over the phone; they will always ask you some security questions even when you phone them first. So BEWARE! And all this goes equally for allowing ‘remote access’ to your computer. Think how much information is on your computer that could lead to more scamming!
I must be a bit dumb but I cannot understand how and why their is a " Remote Access " ability available.