How one mother's flu turned deadly—could your family be at risk?

As flu season returns, it's crucial to maintain vigilance and prioritise our health.

What may seem like a minor illness can quickly escalate into serious health issues that jeopardise our well-being and lives.

This season, especially after recent global health challenges, maintaining robust immune defences and heeding early symptoms can make a critical difference in safeguarding our well-being.

The sudden and heartbreaking passing of Julie Theobald, a 47-year-old Australian mother of 13, sent a ripple of concern across the nation,

Theobald's battle with the flu quickly turned into pneumonia. She was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in Melbourne on June 10 after her condition deteriorated.

Despite the best efforts of healthcare professionals, she succumbed to the illness just two weeks later.

1718676359485.png
Pneumonia resulted from Theobald's flu, leading to her being admitted to Melbourne's ICU as her condition worsened. Credit: GoFundMe

Her daughter Jessica's words on a GoFundMe page capture the family's profound grief:

‘We’ve all been extremely shocked and heartbroken by this news; we could have never imagined losing our mum this early on,’

‘Mum leaves behind 13 amazing children, aged from seven to 31 years old and her devoted husband/our Dad, Billy.’

Professor Catherine Bennett, the chair of epidemiology at Deakin University, warns influenza should not be underestimated.

It can hospitalise even the fittest individuals, and no one is immune to its reach.

‘I think everyone probably knows some young, fit, healthy adults who end up in hospital with flu, so it’s definitely something for everyone to avoid,’ she said.

‘If you’re with other people that you don’t usually hang out with, it’s about making sure you try and keep the distance.’

‘Be conscious of ventilation, wear a mask if you’re in crowded areas; all of those things help protect against these conditions.’

In similar news, Australia witnessed a 29 per cent rise in laboratory-confirmed flu cases compared to the previous year.

Health authorities have issued a warning of an 'early, severe' flu season. They noted that population immunity is still in recovery post-pandemic. Further details on this news can be found here.
Key Takeaways
  • Julie Theobald, an Australian mother of 13, died from influenza that developed into pneumonia at the age of 47.
  • She was admitted to the ICU and was medically evacuated to the hospital but sadly passed away two weeks after admission.
  • Her daughter Jessica expressed the family's shock and heartbreak, noting that Julie left behind a large family and her husband.
  • Professor Catherine Bennett from Deakin University stresses that influenza can hospitalise anyone, including the young and healthy.
Have you had your flu shot this year? What measures do you take to protect yourself during flu season? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am not trying to make light of the loss to her family but I cannot get past 13 children! The article did say she had underlying health conditions but after birthing that many I would be surprised if she didn't have other health issues. it is a tragic loss of life for a woman so young and even more of a tragedy for the large family she has left behind, may she rest in peace.🙏

I am not trying to make light of the loss to her family but I cannot get past 13 children! The article did say she had underlying health conditions but after birthing that many I would be surprised if she didn't have other health issues. it is a tragic loss of life for a woman so young and even more of a tragedy for the large family she has left behind, may she rest in peace.🙏
Why would she have other health issues? I have 13 children and was healthy up to 3 years ago and my health issues started after a doctor did wrong in surgery

Last edited:
My 4 year old Grandson has been in hospital since Sunday with asthma. He was still on hourly ventolin upto yesterday.
I told my son inlaw to demand an exray as I believed he had pneumonia. Same symptoms as what my daughter had.

He finally had the exray last night and results came back pneumonia

My prayers 🙏 and thoughts are with her family.

I'm sure her 13 kids will support each other as does my 13 kids.

My Grandmother had 13 children and was a very hard worker. She lived to the age of 89.
I don't believe her children contributed to her death.

My 4 year old Grandson has been in hospital since Sunday with asthma. He was still on hourly ventolin upto yesterday.
I told my son inlaw to demand an exray as I believed he had pneumonia. Same symptoms as what my daughter had.

He finally had the exray last night and results came back pneumonia

My prayers 🙏 and thoughts are with her family.

I'm sure her 13 kids will support each other as does my 13 kids.
I’m sorry to hear this. I hope he soon recovers. I’m surprised a chest xray wasn’t done as a routine. I’m a Gp and have been hospitalised with pneumonia and it was awful.

As I am already at risk because of other medical conditions, not only flu but the side effects resulting from it. I ensure I have a flu shot every year. Some large businesses actually arrange for medical staff members to go to the business location, their staff the option of being vaccinated and the business pays for them.

I got the R.S.V. WHICH DOESN'T SHOW UP ON R.A.T.S test no one be lived that I was that sick G.P. wouldn't give antibiotics even when I showed her the horrible green phlegm. Gave me e cortisone tabs Then one dark rainy night saw me in the car park and gave me a script by this time chemist was closed and I had to go to castle hill late night I nearly had a traffic accident so turned into side road and called my daughter to rescue me. She refused to go to chemist and took me to Westmead I spent 10days in Respiratory high care at seventy+ they told my daughter it was likely that I wouldn't survive. I now have permanent damage to my lungs. A new RSV inoculation for Adults costs 300 dollars kids are free special needs adults also pay. I can't afford that amount on my pension. But I suppose I have passed my used by date at 80yrs this Sept.

I know a girl who was thought to have a virus. Being a weekend a Locum was called in. He listened to chest and couldn't detect anything. Her Mum took her to the local Dr. twice. Had he not suggested and xray the Mum was going to ask for one. One lung was full of fluid so the hospital the xray was done at admitted her straight away and she was put on antibiotic drip.

I got the R.S.V. WHICH DOESN'T SHOW UP ON R.A.T.S test no one be lived that I was that sick G.P. wouldn't give antibiotics even when I showed her the horrible green phlegm. Gave me e cortisone tabs Then one dark rainy night saw me in the car park and gave me a script by this time chemist was closed and I had to go to castle hill late night I nearly had a traffic accident so turned into side road and called my daughter to rescue me. She refused to go to chemist and took me to Westmead I spent 10days in Respiratory high care at seventy+ they told my daughter it was likely that I wouldn't survive. I now have permanent damage to my lungs. A new RSV inoculation for Adults costs 300 dollars kids are free special needs adults also pay. I can't afford that amount on my pension. But I suppose I have passed my used by date at 80yrs this Sept.
They are about to trial a new vaccine for that. Apparently one of the symptoms for it are a very high temperature.

Reactions: Gsr