How much more is this streaming platform charging Aussie subscribers now? Spotify announces price hike

It’s been an eventful year for streaming services, with changes to prices, product launches, and even competition between the platform giants.

It looks like Spotify is joining a number of other streaming services in raising their prices, and unfortunately, Aussie users are at the front of the line for this hike.

On Tuesday morning, the global music-streaming giant alerted its customers that the cost of their Premium Individual package is being increased from A$11.99/month to A$12.99/month.

Spotify said the price hike would allow the company to 'continue to invest in and innovate on its product offerings and features, and bring users the best experience'.

download

Image by stereophototyp from unsplash

Aussie Spotify fans have until September to continue paying the lower price–at which point the new fee will come into effect.

It’s a bitter pill for many to swallow, seeing as another subscription service, Amazon Prime, recently announced they were raising prices by up to 43 per cent. Stan has also seen an increase as well.

But why the surge in prices? Why now?

Sadly, it looks like it all comes down to a case of competing with the other big players in the market. We’ve seen Spotify ‘stick to their guns’ and stick to lower costs than some of their bigger rivals, but doing so isn’t as sustainable in the long run.

Spotify, along with Amazon Prime and Stan, are currently locked in a close battle for audience numbers, and each platform needs to consistently innovate and give subscribers a reason to remain loyal.

This increase in fees from Spotify is a way for them to increase revenue and put extra resources into developing their platform and product offerings to stay ahead of the competition.

We understand why and how the changes came about–but that doesn't make it any less painful for many of us.

Key Takeaways
  • Spotify has alerted Australian users that its fees will increase from September.
  • The price of its premium subscriber package will increase from A$11.99/month to A$12.99/month.
  • Spotify attributed this increase to continued investment and innovation in their product offerings and features.
  • Similar price hikes and new product launches have been seen in the streaming market over the past year.
If you’re worried about the impact of rising costs on your streaming services, you’re not alone. If you need to cancel your Spotify subscription, here’s how:

You can head to the 'Account' page, navigate to 'Your Plan', and hit 'Change Plan'. Simply scroll to 'Spotify Free' and click 'CANCEL PREMIUM'. Remember, you won't lose your playlists if you switch to a free plan, you'll just deal with occasional advertisements.

However, if you still crave ad-free streaming and access to a range of shows and songs, consider switching over to alternatives. Plenty of streaming services offer free trials, allowing you to test the waters before committing to a monthly fee. Amazon Prime Video and Apple Music both offer a 30-day free trial, while YouTube Music provides a generous 3-month trial period.

Something else worth noting: if you're big into visuals, subscribing to a service that bundles both audio and video, like YouTube Premium or Apple Music with Apple TV, can be cost-effective. Not only does it offer music and TV in one neat package, but it also gives you more bang for your buck!

Before you make any decisions, compare services' costs, check their content libraries, and see if they have everything you enjoy. Remember, you have the power to choose what works best for your entertainment needs and budget.

How are you coping with rising subscription costs? Share your experience in the comments below.

Sponsored
We have Spotify premium but pay $18 that's increasing by $2 we have a family share one.
Maybe I will now look at the free one.

As for my other subscriptions
I have foxtel and last week I called to reduce channels or cancel it due to watching more shows on Netflix and surprise , they reduced my plan by $30 amonth leaving it the same but also adding Netflix, so I have saved $31 a month plus $22 on Netflix

I think with smart TV's and Chrome cast Foxtel is losing alot of customers