How Aussies are sharing their homes to earn extra cash amid the cost-of-living crisis

Unexpected expenses keep cropping up, and we know trying to maintain your budget on a pension isn't always easy. This forces many older Australians to find creative ways of meeting expenses.

But what if there was a way to get paid for something you already have – an extra room in your house?

Welcome to the world of homestay hosting.

While this isn't a new concept, in these current times, it's needed more than ever.

With international students returning to our shores during the housing crisis, the demand for affordable and comfortable living spaces is skyrocketing.

room1.jpg
Homestay housing helps national and international students find accommodation in Australia. Credit: Thới Nam Cao/Pexels

Tina Brown from the Homestay Network told reporters: ‘I don't want to use the word crisis, but we're heading in that direction. We do need hosts.’

So, how do you get started? There are two popular networks that you can explore to offer your home as a homestay and find out how much money you could potentially make.

Australian Homestay Network (AHN)

As mentioned above, the AHN is the only national standards-based student homestay organisation in Australia. It services all capital cities as well as other key student destinations.

According to its website, the Australian Homestay Network was formed to provide international students with a ‘high standard of homestay accommodation’ after it was identified that there was a lack of quality homestay accommodations in the housing market.

Hosts are also paid regularly while housing a student.

‘Our host payments will assist you in covering the expenses of hosting a student, such as providing meals and utilities such as power and water,’ the website continued.

room2.jpg
The program is mutually beneficial to students and hosts. Credit: Denys Gromov/Pexels

‘Each visiting student pays a homestay fee to AHN to cover management and supervision of their stay, 24/7 emergency support services, translation services, and airport transportation services,’ it continued.

Although the majority of the fee is passed to hosts to cover day-to-day expenses, the homestay fees do vary per state and are also dependent on accommodation, meal plans, and location.

‘AHN will collect the ongoing fees from your student and make fortnightly payments to you, provided that the student has paid on time for the duration of the placement.’

Homestay Network (HSN)

HSN offers student and academic accommodation in Australian family homes in safe, respectable neighbourhoods within 45 minutes of Sydney's TAFE Colleges, Universities, high schools, and language centres.

According to its website, the HSN uses a ‘variable fee structure’ for host fees.

These vary depending on several factors, such as the city the students are living in, the nature of the student’s stay, the college or university where they are studying, and other inclusions.

‘Staff will discuss the fee structure at the time the student is offered to you and again when the student is confirmed. How ongoing payments to the host will be made, discussed, confirmed, and agreed upon for the duration of the student’s stay,’ it said.

If you're an empty nester with rooms to spare or living in a big home, this opportunity to open your doors to international students and receive financial compensation could be an excellent solution to make use of the extra space in your house.

The Australian government also permits families to host up to two students tax-free, allowing you to earn additional income without affecting your pension.

Brown explains: ‘Three hundred dollars will be the bottom end of the scale, but it can actually go from $300 to $500 per student.’

Not only could this help with your living expenses, but it also offers these students the chance to experience the true Aussie way of life – they might even become like an extended family to you!

Key Takeaways
  • Families are being sought to share their homes and get paid for them through homestay programs as Australia faces a housing crisis with borders opening to international students.
  • Homestay Network's Tina Brown says there is a need for hosts, and the program could help empty nesters and families with big homes struggling with the cost of living.
  • The government allows families to host two students tax-free, with payments ranging from $300 to $500 per student.
So, dear members, why not consider opening your home to a student in need and earn some extra income along the way? It's a win-win situation, and you'll be providing a valuable service at a crucial time.

Given the chance, would you be willing to give homestay hosting a shot? Let us know why or why not in the comments!

Sponsored
Unexpected expenses keep cropping up, and we know trying to maintain your budget on a pension isn't always easy. This forces many older Australians to find creative ways of meeting expenses.

But what if there was a way to get paid for something you already have – an extra room in your house?

While this isn't a new concept, in these current times, it's needed more than ever.

With international students returning to our shores during the housing crisis, the demand for affordable and comfortable living spaces is skyrocketing.

View attachment 21475
Homestay housing helps national and international students find accommodation in Australia. Credit: Thới Nam Cao/Pexels

Tina Brown from the Homestay Network told reporters: ‘I don't want to use the word crisis, but we're heading in that direction. We do need hosts.’

So, how do you get started? There are two popular networks that you can explore to offer your home as a homestay and find out how much money you could potentially make.

As mentioned above, the AHN is the only national standards-based student homestay organisation in Australia. It services all capital cities as well as other key student destinations.

According to its website, the Australian Homestay Network was formed to provide international students with a ‘high standard of homestay accommodation’ after it was identified that there was a lack of quality homestay accommodations in the housing market.

‘Our host payments will assist you in covering the expenses of hosting a student, such as providing meals and utilities such as power and water,’ the website continued.

View attachment 21476
The program is mutually beneficial to students and hosts. Credit: Denys Gromov/Pexels

‘Each visiting student pays a homestay fee to AHN to cover management and supervision of their stay, 24/7 emergency support services, translation services, and airport transportation services,’ it continued.

Although the majority of the fee is passed to hosts to cover day-to-day expenses, the homestay fees do vary per state and are also dependent on accommodation, meal plans, and location.

‘AHN will collect the ongoing fees from your student and make fortnightly payments to you, provided that the student has paid on time for the duration of the placement.’

Homestay Network (HSN)

HSN offers student and academic accommodation in Australian family homes in safe, respectable neighbourhoods within 45 minutes of Sydney's TAFE Colleges, Universities, high schools, and language centres.

According to its website, the HSN uses a ‘variable fee structure’ for host fees.

These vary depending on several factors, such as the city the students are living in, the nature of the student’s stay, the college or university where they are studying, and other inclusions.

‘Staff will discuss the fee structure at the time the student is offered to you and again when the student is confirmed. How ongoing payments to the host will be made, discussed, confirmed, and agreed upon for the duration of the student’s stay,’ it said.

If you're an empty nester with rooms to spare or living in a big home, this opportunity to open your doors to international students and receive financial compensation could be an excellent solution to make use of the extra space in your house.

The Australian government also permits families to host up to two students tax-free, allowing you to earn additional income without affecting your pension.

Brown explains: ‘Three hundred dollars will be the bottom end of the scale, but it can actually go from $300 to $500 per student.’

Not only could this help with your living expenses, but it also offers these students the chance to experience the true Aussie way of life – they might even become like an extended family to you!

Key Takeaways

• Families are being sought to share their homes and get paid for them through homestay programs as Australia faces a housing crisis with borders opening to international students.
  • Homestay Network's Tina Brown says there is a need for hosts, and the program could help empty nesters and families with big homes struggling with the cost of living.
  • The government allows families to host two students tax-free, with payments ranging from $300 to $500 per student.
So, dear members, why not consider opening your home to a student in need and earn some extra income along the way? It's a win-win situation, and you'll be providing a valuable service at a crucial time.

Given the chance, would you be willing to give homestay hosting a shot? Let us know why or why not in the comments!
Absolutely they do. Always smiling, speaking very gently and respectfully, offering to help their seniors where needed, bowing to their elders and generally VERY, VERY RESPECTFUL OF THEIR ELDERS. I just have this phobia about having anyone besides family in my home.

View attachment 21475

View attachment 21476

Homestay Network (HSN)

Key Takeaways

Don't get greedy and think for a moment, that everyone's so wonderful and polite, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.
People, have been taken advantage of, especially if they're older, vulnerable and have no immediate families to come to their aid. Lowe and our government, wouldn't care less and wouldn't lift a finger to help.

Fair enough, not everyone can have ‘butter melt in their mouths’, but most of them are very polite and respectful because they have been taught well from childhood - that is the difference between them and so many other cultures INCLUDING the children brought up in so many Australian homes these days, unfortunately.

Morgana, You are being very unkind to someone I assume you do not know who might be experiencing economic difficulty and struggling to make ends meet. So it’s not nice for you to judge about ‘getting greedy’.

There are many reasons why I don’t have the confidence to let out a room in my home and the main one is my huge phobia about having ANYONE other than my family stay in my home. And another reason is my own safety. Fortunately I am, at present, a self-funded retiree so I’m not struggling but am financially aware and careful with money.

Reactions: Gaena
When I was teaching in China, I found that I learned so much more than I taught. Two weeks is very short, admittedly, but hopefully all 3 of you will benefit from the experience.

This is something I can't do where I live and probably would not unless I had a large house and 2 living areas and bathrooms. Although it may be tax-free, does it impact the pension?

This is something I can't do where I live and probably would not unless I had a large house and 2 living areas and bathrooms. Although it may be tax-free, does it impact the pension?
Sadly, I am not in a position, either geographically or space-wise. I would think that any earnings made would be declared to Centrelink, but the amount earned may not impact the pension as recent press said that pensioners could earn a bit more.

Fair enough, not everyone can have ‘butter melt in their mouths’, but most of them are very polite and respectful because they have been taught well from childhood - that is the difference between them and so many other cultures INCLUDING the children brought up in so many Australian homes these days, unfortunately.

Morgana, You are being very unkind to someone I assume you do not know who might be experiencing economic difficulty and struggling to make ends meet. So it’s not nice for you to judge about ‘getting greedy’.

There are many reasons why I don’t have the confidence to let out a room in my home and the main one is my huge phobia about having ANYONE other than my family stay in my home. And another reason is my own safety. Fortunately I am, at present, a self-funded retiree so I’m not struggling but am financially aware and careful with money.
Catherines:
Make up your mind. You've just being extolling the virtues of those coming from overseas and running Australians down; yet you claim "... There are many reasons why I don’t have the confidence to let out a room in my home and the main one is my huge phobia about having ANYONE other than my family stay in my home. And another reason is my own safety...". Surely, if you have so much admiration and respect for the immigrants you're putting on a pedestal, you'd open your heart and your home to them, instead of making lame excuses, why you can't and won't?
You should also feel ashamed of yourself, for running Australians down; because you've made it painfully obvious, you'd rather let Australians suffer on the streets, like they're presently doing, while our government brings in even more immigrants "... On 9 May 2023, the Australian Government announced that the planning level for the 2023-24 permanent Migration Program will be set at 190,000 places..."; while making no proper arrangements at all, for them and expecting the already suffering, Australian taxpayer to provide for their needs and while Philip Lowe, spends taxpayers’ money on an exclusive dinner for Perth’s business elite hours after raising the cash rate last month for the 11th time?
According to a report, Dr Lowe was reportedly asked on the night about the optics of having an exclusive dinner even as many Australians were having to cut back, responding, “We’re here in Perth having this fabulous dinner because it’s really important we get out and mix with people, hear from community leaders, hear from business leaders, hear from people in the NGO sector...The total bill came to just under $25,000 and included a $4331 drinks tab, which worked out to just over $176 per person...".
Really?? And ordinary Australians are expected to shell out their last cent?

I’m not going to get into any further discussion on this except to state that I never said ALL people from overseas OR ALL people in Australia are of the same tainted brush or perfect brush. So I’ll leave it at that.