House hunter discovers haunting past about newly renovated townhouse in Sydney

Emma Debus and her housemates thought they had found the perfect home when they applied for a newly renovated three-bedroom townhouse in Surry Hills in the heart of Sydney’s CBD for $900 a week.

However, after a quick Google search of the address, the house hunter was lost for words after discovering a tragic past about the rental property: it was once owned by a woman whose decayed body was found eight years after her death.

Natalie Jean Wood, who died at the age of 86, laid unnoticed on her bedroom floor until her body was discovered when police searched her home in 2011.

W860sUXJUX0Y89SL_uD2ivHE4kvW2KFlNHZGvbiX5WiH8YVG7Nmx8tuU4daSN31HZUXLbTzwI6Bth24IcJ9iBxqwkVcLFkAa7T-YKbgv-skrzf62aU_WSQt5kL8_Uw421a3xiHjK

The heritage home was listed online for rent after being renovated. Photos from TikTok / @emdeebs.
The young woman went viral on TikTok for sharing a video about her thrilling discovery.

“So I applied for this house in Surry Hills, it’s three bedrooms, super renovated - all the bedrooms are a good size, living and kitchen were good as well,” said Emma in the clip.

“I was like ‘sweet’.”

Things took a woeful turn when she did a background check on the property.

“So I was just Googling it, looked it up, accidentally clicked on the news tab, and I found out that a woman died in the house, and I thought ‘okay maybe this isn’t the one for me’,” she said.

“Turns out she died in the house and was dead for eight years before they found her… So I think I’m going to remove the application.”

bbdC8vrZa0RsWqDZU5vUrY-t229CJjOl6QxK2NizEbZVFP18gXIljiU5A3OBvedHosG02vCa-YTwfMXvuXbwnbrZFNKb3M2ozq5Tj_Z_EIIT9uCUQgAiIMY8yaAEaZnps8D8SO-x

Natalie’s body was found in her townhouse in 2011. Photos from NSW Police.

“We were attracted to the property because it was within our budget of being around $300 per person, which is pretty standard in the Sydney real estate market,” continued Emma.

“But when we found out about the body, we were quite shocked and also upset for the woman to go unnoticed for eight years; it’s quite an upsetting story.”

After more than 40 people inspected the property, Emma admitted she initially thought there would be tough competition in getting the home rental.

“We were quite impressed with how many people turned up,” she said.

“We really liked the bedrooms; they were all a great size which was great for working from home - and we were really impressed how it was recently renovated and had a modern feel to it.”

“We were also impressed with the kitchen and the bathroom, and the courtyard out the back was also really nice.”

Emma also kept in touch with the previous tenant, who revealed how she felt after living in the home.

“The previous tenant mentioned Natalie, the ghost, never disturbed her and she actually enjoyed living at the property,” said Emma.

Reactions: Rabbit and Ray B
Sponsored
Think about it this way she died peacefully probably of old age...sad that she was alone but now she can enjoy the company of some bright, happy young people. There are many many houses where people have died maybe from domestic violence or other sad causes and we never know...say a little prayer, raise a glass to your new friend and get on with your lives.

So???? A lady died there.....I'm sure her spirit has moved on, just as her body has!! The place has been gutted, cleaned and fully renovated and you can afford the rent, that's what matters. If you're so worried about the history of the house, why don't you Google it Before you applied to rent it??..!!