Hot weather is officially here, and so are termites, cockroaches and spiders, warned experts

As we say goodbye to the cooler months and hello to warmer temperatures, there are a few things we can all look forward to – sunnier weather, longer days, and perhaps most importantly, the return of our favourite outdoor activities.

But there is one downside to the warmer weather that you might not be looking forward to as much: pests. Yes, that creepy crawlies start coming out in full force.

With temperatures set to rise this week, he predicted that homeowners will soon be seeing 'an explosion’ of pests, including termites, cockroaches, and spiders.

'With hotter days forecast later in this week, following the rain we've just had, we're about to see an explosion of cockroaches — the big American and Australian ones that fly into your house — and spiders,' explained Brisbane pest exterminator Gavin Shill.

'They have slower breeding patterns, but when it gets hot they speed up.'

'By the end of the week, we should be seeing large numbers of those entering people's houses.'

Unfortunately, that’s not the only pest we should be on the lookout for.

Termites, which are wood-eating pests, thrive in moist environments and recently grown in large numbers as a result of repeated La Niña weather systems.

This has led to a huge increase in termite activity across Queensland especially over the past two years – so much so that Mr Shill said he's never seen anything like it in his 23 years on the job.

'I've been doing this for nearly 23 years and I've never seen it this bad in terms of termites,' he said.

6767ff955f71e296ddcd3c674ba3849f

The termite population is on the rise due to the incoming warm weather. Credit: ABC via All Year Pest Solutions.

The number of 'active treatments' which deal with infestations that have already taken hold as opposed to preventative measures has increased, according to Mr Shill.

The exterminator added: 'We are doing seven or eight per month now, where it used to be just a couple per month.'

'It's just gone through the roof.'

'I've been working on houses that are completely gutted. They're in every single wall and the roof.'

'It's the sheer volume of them that's shocking.'

It's going to be a massive year for termites’, according to Professor Dieter Hochuli of the University of Sydney's Integrative Ecology Group.

The expert remarked: 'the high levels of soil moisture are ideal for them to burrow and flourish’.

'Termites are particularly sensitive when it comes to drying out so having an extremely moist environment has been very beneficial for them.'

'That's particularly true for the ones that are pests of houses.'

'So when they are making their way underground and searching for new sources of food, life has become a little bit easier for them.'

You might think termites only live in moist areas, like the marshlands and outbacks. But that's far from the truth. In fact, they could be living inside your rural home right now.

Termites are a common problem in many parts of Australia. They like warm, moist places and are often found in wooden buildings.

Mr Shill explained that while the recent weather has not yet caused a spike in the number of pests in many parts of the country, that is likely to change soon.

So why are there so many pests?

Weather conditions are ideal right now for insects and bugs. While some of them thrive in rain, others do much better in dry conditions.

Either way, they are now popping out of the woodwork (literally).

Professor Hochuli explained: 'The bottom line is that heat and moisture make ideal conditions for a wide variety of insects.'

'Their biology is really closely tied to responding to when conditions are good.'

'Rainfall promotes high growth of plants and promotes the species that eat them.'

'That then means there's heaps of food for the things that eat other insects. It's basically a bottom-up driven system where the high primary productivity drives the success of a lot of animals in a lot of systems.'

So, what can you do to prevent the termites from eating your house and the bugs from biting you?

If you own a wooden property, there are some precautionary measures that you can do to control the spread of termites.

The solution would start with a damp-proofing course of action, to prevent the insects from crossing the premises. There should be a prior survey on the wooden components, in and around the home, so that all sections at risk are settled upon and settled.

There must be a full-termite treatment done to protect the house so that it is sturdy enough and unhindered through termite presence.

Mr Shill said that a regular and careful inspection should be finished after that program, to ensure that the termites are not making their way back to the property.

The expert recommended having your gutters and downpipes checked for blockages, and correcting the problems before it's too late.

To learn more about how to avoid termites, you can watch the video below:

Credit: YouTube/Solutions Pest & Lawn

Aside from drying out your home and attacking termites that may be living on, in, and around your property, there are also chemical products, such as Termidor, which can be purchased from hardware stores, which target termite infestations.

Spiders, of course, are an uncontrollable part of being a homeowner. Experts recommend sealing any small openings, including windows and doors, as they can't get in if they can't get out.

Here's a video detailing how you protect your home from spider infestation:

Credit: YouTube/Natural Home Remedies

Key Takeaways

• Pest exterminators in Brisbane are seeing a surge in termite infestations, due to the damp conditions caused by consecutive La Niña weather systems.
  • These wood-munching pests are particularly active when the ground is moist, so property owners need to be vigilant in ensuring their homes are not at risk.
  • With warmer temperatures forecast for the week ahead, cockroach and spider populations are also set to increase.

Pests can cause a lot of damage to our homes and belongings, and they can also be dangerous to our health. That's why it's important to be proactive in pest control and to know what to do if an infestation does occur.

There are a few simple steps you can take to prevent pests of all sorts, in general, from taking over your home. First, keep your home clean and clutter-free. This will make it less attractive to pests. Second, seal up any cracks or openings in your home that pests could use to get inside. This includes repairing damaged screens and caulking around windows and doors. Third, store food properly and keep your kitchen clean. This will discourage pests from hanging around your home in search of a meal.

If you do find yourself with a pest problem, there are a few things you can do to get rid of them. You can set up traps, use baits, or contact a professional pest control company. Whatever method you choose, make sure you follow the instructions carefully to avoid making the problem worse.

Pests are a nuisance, but with a little prevention and the right treatment, you can keep them from taking over your home.

There you have it, folks! Stay safe out there!

Sponsored
I have my home inspected inside and out each year for termites, so far so good! This year I have so far put out 3 slugs found crossing the floor in the kitchen and laundry, also 4 little bright green tree frogs. I fully expect many more frogs before the season is over but they're cute, bright green and only about an inch long. The slugs however can stay out, they are not wanted. Our main problem this year is ticks I spend half my time checking the dogs, fingers crossed.:)

I have my home inspected inside and out each year for termites, so far so good! This year I have so far put out 3 slugs found crossing the floor in the kitchen and laundry, also 4 little bright green tree frogs. I fully expect many more frogs before the season is over but they're cute, bright green and only about an inch long. The slugs however can stay out, they are not wanted. Our main problem this year is ticks I spend half my time checking the dogs, fingers crossed.:)
Ricci, green frogs are the sign of a health environment.