Hot item or hot mess? Kmart's $10 item has shoppers torn

As the Australian summer heats up, people are looking for affordable ways to stay cool.

Kmart, a go-to for budget-friendly household items, recently introduced a gadget that's causing quite a stir among shoppers.

However, is it the summer saviour shoppers claim it to be, or is it just hot air?

Kmart introduced their $10 Bladeless Portable Handheld Fan, which could be a chic and practical solution for beating the heat.

The fan has three wind settings, making it a great companion during sweltering days.

The fan is also rechargeable and powered by USB charging.

compressed-kmart fan.jpeg
Kmart's Bladeless Portable Handheld Fan comes in four colourways: purple, white, green, and orange. Image Credit: Kmart

It is also compact enough to fit in a handbag, and its bladeless feature adds a touch of safety for those around their grandkids.

On paper, the fan could be a dream come true for anyone who needs a quick cool-down in the relentless Aussie heat.

However, as with any product, real-world experience can differ from the marketing promises.

Some users took to social media and expressed their disappointment about the item.

'It's a waste of money. They break very easily,' one comment read.

'I bought one to dry my fake lashes, and it took forever to dry them compared to fans with blades!' another exclaimed.

Another said, 'Mine blew up.'

Despite being marketed with a 2.5-hour running time, some users stated that the fan lasted less than they hoped.

This could be a significant drawback for those planning to rely on the fan during long days out or as a respite from a broken AC unit.

On the flip side, some customers sang the fan's praises.

One shopper mentioned it was a godsend during a holiday trip.

'It definitely takes the edge off if there's no breeze,' they commented

A mum also shared how the fan became a valuable tool for her and her child.

I got one for my baby bag, and it has already come in handy when waiting for appointments and the AC was broken. My bub was overheating, but this was enough to keep her comfortable,' she recounted.

'Bought one, and I love it,' another shared.

While some hailed the Kmart portable fan as a lifesaver, others warned of potential safety issues and its effectiveness.

Always do some research before making a purchase—check product reviews, ask around in your community, or test the item in-store if possible.

Remember, if you end up with a malfunctioning item, you are entitled to a refund or replacement.
Key Takeaways

• A portable bladeless fan from Kmart garnered mixed reactions from buyers on social media.
  • While some customers considered the fan a lifesaver, others criticised it for its durability and effectiveness.
  • Some users reported that the fan broke quickly or did not perform as expected.
  • Despite some negative feedback, others raved about the fan's usefulness, especially in keeping children cool.
Have you seen this fan at your local Kmart recently? Do you have other ways to keep cool? We would love to read about your experiences and cooling tips in the comments section below!

Sponsored