Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Horse and cart delivery

compressed-Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 11.44.53 AM.jpeg
Credits: Michael Cuschieri/Facebook

Who remembers when fresh milk and bread were delivered daily by horse and cart? Did you also love the clip-clop of the horse's hooves, the jingle of the delivery man's bell, and the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the air? Share your fond memories of the ‘good ol' days’ in the comments below.

• Love
Reactions: NotNats and DLHM
When I was a child in England the Milko had a beautiful horse and cart and the horse knew the route so well that he moved up at a slow pace so the milko never had to backtrack. When the company changed to vans it was never the same.

Reactions: Gunpark and NotNats
I certainly do remember. We used to have the green grocer also in horse and cart. That's where I got my love of horses from.

Reactions: NotNats
I certainly do remember. We used to have the green grocer also in horse and cart. That's where I got my love of horses from.
how well I remember. The milkman, the baker, the green grocer and at one stage, the ice man. Wonderful men, beautiful horses and the extra for your gardens. I'd love to see them back but the "charming" mongrels of today would have the owner held up and robbed and the horses terrified.

• Angry
Reactions: Gunpark
My Dad used to tell us the story about the time he and his older brother decided to 'borrow' the milkman's carthorse for a joy ride. He reckoned their elicit adventure was a bit of an anticlimax as no amount of encouragement by the boys would convince the horse to divert from the route it followed every day.

My older Brothers first job was the "Gopher" on a Horse drawn Milk Cart. The Horse knew EVERY customers House and automatically stopped outside. The Milko always had to do a bit of re-training when Customers moved/Died.

for the younger generation you maybe able to get this on youtube or similar James JIMMY DURANTE stared in a black and white movie THE MILKMAN extremely funny and a sendup of AI stuffing up trying to bring in AI to MILK DELIVERY worth a look if it can be found.

I have vivid memories of our "Milky", Mr. Douglas. Had his 1& 2 pint (Quart) metal containers to fill up the saucepan with a lid left out the front verandah with 2/. underneath to pay for same. No stop/start buttons for "GERALD" to move. Just a bit of a "Squawk" and off he'd move. I always used to ask the "baker" if he'd any crusts out the back of his cart. He'd have canvas flaps over his basket making his deliveries. "Wot" abt the clothes prop man with his cart loaded with forked timber (not milled) just el-naturals props to support the stretched out clothes line out the back yard, & yelling out "Props For Sale" I think they were also, either 1/. or 2/. each. Our "Icey" seemed to always have a truck of some description throughout the '50's. He'd always give us kids bits of ice when he had to chip some of the blocks in half with his ice pick. He had a great following of us down the street.

Yes, the neighbours always seemed to know when "Deposits" were pooped on the road. Out they'd rush with bucket & spade to collect same for the garden while it was still steaming. Nothing wasted.

I have vivid memories of our "Milky", Mr. Douglas. Had his 1& 2 pint (Quart) metal containers to fill up the saucepan with a lid left out the front verandah with 2/. underneath to pay for same. No stop/start buttons for "GERALD" to move. Just a bit of a "Squawk" and off he'd move. I always used to ask the "baker" if he'd any crusts out the back of his cart. He'd have canvas flaps over his basket making his deliveries. "Wot" abt the clothes prop man with his cart loaded with forked timber (not milled) just el-naturals props to support the stretched out clothes line out the back yard, & yelling out "Props For Sale" I think they were also, either 1/. or 2/. each. Our "Icey" seemed to always have a truck of some description throughout the '50's. He'd always give us kids bits of ice when he had to chip some of the blocks in half with his ice pick. He had a great following of us down the street.

Yes, the neighbours always seemed to know when "Deposits" were pooped on the road. Out they'd rush with bucket & spade to collect same for the garden while it was still steaming. Nothing wasted.
ah yes, our beloved clothes prop man. I remember him well along with sucking on the ice chips .