Horror in the Skies: 36 passengers injured in Hawaiian Airlines turbulence

Travelling – and flying especially – should be an exciting and stress-free event. For the most part, it is; getting from one place to another, even if it's a long journey, can be enjoyable.

But sometimes, things take a dramatic turn for the worst…

Such was the case on a recent Hawaiian Airlines flight from Phoenix to Honolulu, where 36 people were injured after the plane was hit by a 'rollercoaster-like' bout of severe turbulence.

It wasn't just adults that were affected either, with hospitals reporting that a 14-month-old baby was among those examined for injuries, which ranged from lacerations and bruises to severe head injuries.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 8.29.54 AM.png
The flight from Phoenix to Honolulu encountered a nightmare level of turbulence that left 36 passengers injured. Credit: Twitter/aviationbrk.

One passenger, Jazmyn Bitanga, who was on her way home for the holidays, said that the plane encountered two drops in altitude, with one being so intense that her boyfriend's water bottle was flung up and cracked the ceiling.

'My life flashed before my eyes. I was scared,' she said. 'I turned around, and there were a couple of people bleeding and just bracing themselves. Just all around me, there were people crying.'

This was confirmed by Kaylee Reyes, who was also on board, saying that her mother didn't have time to buckle up, and when the plane shook and dropped, her mum 'flew up and hit the ceiling, then hit the floor.'

People were reportedly getting checked by paramedics on the tarmac when they landed, with restrooms, air and overhead compartments in a state of disarray.

The National Weather Service declared a weather advisory for thunderstorms around the aircraft's flight path, which the airline was aware of – but it was unable to detect the instability of the particular patch of air in which the turbulence occurred.

The force of the turbulence was so incredibly severe that the aircraft experienced some structural damage - and while none of the injured passengers were severely or fatally injured, the tragedy was far from over.

A spokesperson for Hawaiian Airlines, Jon Snook, said at a press conference that the incident was extremely rare and that the airline had not experienced such strong turbulence in recent memory.

'Sometimes, these air pockets occur with no warning. It's rare to have that level of extreme turbulence. It was a very extreme case of mid-air turbulence,' he explained.

'We're very thankful the extent of the injuries was not critical. It could have been worse.'

Key Takeaways

• Thirty-six people were injured on a Hawaiian Airlines flight due to extreme turbulence.
  • While this kind of turbulence is rare, it can occur without warning in wispy cirrus clouds or clear air near thunderstorms due to differences in temperature and pressure.
  • To help prevent such injuries, air passengers must ensure that they fasten their seatbelts at all times.
We here at the Seniors Discount Club sympathise with everyone who was aboard the flight, and we can only hope that the injured make a full and swift recovery.

However, the incident serves to remind us all of the importance of safety first, especially when we're up in the air.

Whenever you fly, make sure you follow the instructions of the flight attendants and be sure that your seatbelt is securely buckled where possible. The peace of mind you will gain from knowing you're doing everything you can to make your flight as safe as possible is well worth it.

We wish you safe travels! In the meantime, if you're curious about turbulence and whether or not it poses a threat to passengers or the plane itself, you may watch the video we've attached below.

Credit: Curious Pilot.

Sponsored
Travelling – and flying especially – should be an exciting and stress-free event. For the most part, it is; getting from one place to another, even if it's a long journey, can be enjoyable.

But sometimes, things take a dramatic turn for the worst…

Such was the case on a recent Hawaiian Airlines flight from Phoenix to Honolulu, where 36 people were injured after the plane was hit by a 'rollercoaster-like' bout of severe turbulence.

It wasn't just adults that were affected either, with hospitals reporting that a 14-month-old baby was among those examined for injuries, which ranged from lacerations and bruises to severe head injuries.

View attachment 10834
The flight from Phoenix to Honolulu encountered a nightmare level of turbulence that left 36 passengers injured. Credit: Twitter/aviationbrk.

One passenger, Jazmyn Bitanga, who was on her way home for the holidays, said that the plane encountered two drops in altitude, with one being so intense that her boyfriend's water bottle was flung up and cracked the ceiling.

'My life flashed before my eyes. I was scared,' she said. 'I turned around, and there were a couple of people bleeding and just bracing themselves. Just all around me, there were people crying.'

This was confirmed by Kaylee Reyes, who was also on board, saying that her mother didn't have time to buckle up, and when the plane shook and dropped, her mum 'flew up and hit the ceiling, then hit the floor.'

People were reportedly getting checked by paramedics on the tarmac when they landed, with restrooms, air and overhead compartments in a state of disarray.

The National Weather Service declared a weather advisory for thunderstorms around the aircraft's flight path, which the airline was aware of – but it was unable to detect the instability of the particular patch of air in which the turbulence occurred.

The force of the turbulence was so incredibly severe that the aircraft experienced some structural damage - and while none of the injured passengers were severely or fatally injured, the tragedy was far from over.

A spokesperson for Hawaiian Airlines, Jon Snook, said at a press conference that the incident was extremely rare and that the airline had not experienced such strong turbulence in recent memory.

'Sometimes, these air pockets occur with no warning. It's rare to have that level of extreme turbulence. It was a very extreme case of mid-air turbulence,' he explained.

'We're very thankful the extent of the injuries was not critical. It could have been worse.'

Key Takeaways

• Thirty-six people were injured on a Hawaiian Airlines flight due to extreme turbulence.
  • While this kind of turbulence is rare, it can occur without warning in wispy cirrus clouds or clear air near thunderstorms due to differences in temperature and pressure.
  • To help prevent such injuries, air passengers must ensure that they fasten their seatbelts at all times.
We here at the Seniors Discount Club sympathise with everyone who was aboard the flight, and we can only hope that the injured make a full and swift recovery.

However, the incident serves to remind us all of the importance of safety first, especially when we're up in the air.

Whenever you fly, make sure you follow the instructions of the flight attendants and be sure that your seatbelt is securely buckled where possible. The peace of mind you will gain from knowing you're doing everything you can to make your flight as safe as possible is well worth it.

We wish you safe travels! In the meantime, if you're curious about turbulence and whether or not it poses a threat to passengers or the plane itself, you may watch the video we've attached below.

Credit: Curious Pilot.

This is such old news!!!!

I remember a flight my husband took from Chicago to Pittsburgh he said he had never experienced turbulence like that before and thought the plain was going to break in mid air it was shaking so hard.