Honda 'parks' on top of a Mercedes - how did this even happen?

We don't know about you, but we definitely wouldn't want to come back from a leisurely day of shopping to find a car parked on top of our own…

Unfortunately, that was the reality for one Sydney motorist whose Mercedes was crushed by a wayward Honda yesterday. And to add insult to injury - no one definitively knows how it happened!

The scene was captured by a few locals who happened to be around the area to witness the accident. All we can see is the aftermath, though: the Honda perched atop the luxury Mercedes in a suburban car park.

Both cars were mangled. The front driver's side of the Civic was badly damaged, along with the front bumper and quarter panel. Meanwhile, the top of the Mercedes-Benz was turned into scrap metal as the Honda almost completely crushed the luxury vehicle.

fyLk4BEUVT2K_mbSMvYD149cC9GDVHUBsluv05-CCDP-aTiphCntI-NV1w3xyUqqXPlYQJ-M_zT3T9p95a4LMZd_5u7pXnQCyT_PQFsPdJEODMe5NtSL2UyqiDwyzaCu-WGrNHd7fOpmL5eGneacAVuVY9awzIJOlbuBBu9h9b5eiGxWZaKql-_AMw

In the car park of a Sydney shopping centre, a Honda Civic is sitting on top of a crushed Mercedes. Credit: Facebook/Jake Yang.

Online news sources reported that the driver of said Honda was 73 years old and had confused her brake and accelerator pedals. A 50-year-old man inside the Mercedes suffered minor injuries in the collision, which occurred at 9:45 am yesterday morning.

When asked by reporters, one witness said she observed the whole thing as it unfolded when she pulled into the car park in Hurstville.

'We were both heading out [of ]the boom gate,' the fellow driver recalled. 'The Honda went straight through the boom gate and straight past me.'

While there is no footage of how exactly how this extraordinary event unfolded (and boy, do we wish there were!), that hasn't stopped commenters from speculating wildly about what could have possibly happened here…

Most people believe that the driver may have simply mistaken her accelerator and brake pedals; however, in the comments section of a now-viral TikTok clip, one person alleged it was a case of road rage since the driver tried to pass another vehicle to exit the car park first.

Credit: 7NEWS Australia.

However, based on the information at hand (and as reported by 7News in the video below), it appears that the elderly driver may have simply mixed up her pedals.

Even though there were reports made already, people on social media still wanted to know what exactly went on in real-time. 'I need to see this from security cameras because I'm THAT nosy,' one user commented.

'I honestly don't understand the physics behind this,' said another bemused observer.

A third even quipped: 'Imagine coming back from your shopping to see a car parked on top of yours!' while another simply joked: 'You can't park there!'

Thank goodness, neither of the people involved in the collision sustained any serious or life-threatening injuries, and they have both already gotten the appropriate medical attention. However, it was reported that the woman's licence is now under review.

Luckily for her, though, it was also reported by the local police that she wouldn't face any charges – let's just hope both vehicles were properly insured!

So what do you think of this story, folks? Do you believe it was just a simple driving accident? Or was it really a case of road rage gone terribly wrong? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
This problem with the stop-and-go pedals is a problem with two feet drivers. Using both feet on the pedals of an automatic vehicle is a danger to all. I believe one should only use the right foot for both pedals as this avoids confusion during an emergency.

This problem with the stop-and-go pedals is a problem with two feet drivers. Using both feet on the pedals of an automatic vehicle is a danger to all. I believe one should only use the right foot for both pedals as this avoids confusion during an emergency.
It has been proven that with automatic vehicles people who learn and habitually use left foot braking respond to emergency braking situations much faster than right foot only drivers. :cool:

It has been proven that with automatic vehicles people who learn and habitually use left foot braking respond to emergency braking situations much faster than right foot only drivers. :cool:
Just out of interest, I will ask my left handed son about foot braking and see which foot he uses. ;)

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I only use my right foot when driving an automatic car. If I used my left foot for braking, it would push the pedal all the way down, as it would with the clutch pedal of a manual car! Not a good idea for me.

Fortunate for the 50 year old Mercedes driver this wasn't a bigger, heavier car which landed on top of him as he sat in the car.

l have heard of this happening before in an automatic where the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brake. She was driving a Valiant Charger at the time.

l have never used my left foot for the brake. Guess old habits die hard from when l drove a manual for about 11 years of my 53 years on the road.