Home stylist reveals how to make TRENDY ‘mushroom lamps’ with common household items - “The simplest project I’ve done in a while.”

Getting your hands on trendy home decor can cost you an arm and a leg – but why would you want to do that when you can make them yourself?

DIY pro, Geneva Vanderzeil, revealed how she created her own ‘mushroom’ lamps using kitchen items from IKEA and it blew the minds of thousands on social media.

WlNmJRLI1zxVbT4Yv2fprMZV_eDEvYs1THN7qrgMeAfCEkOAtV05jHZrjAjMZhSnHGcrWnC9j4BSO6-0_SQq_jctFwrm_-iV5hMa6bpeqXdihL1-z2lRyWB_wQeKxYJMXNGDutD1
grxi3BsaIMBis_jw8AgRfVU8ntjFOqZJoHKtbfN0TurIpJ7D5-h79XsE93pVqxw9uh1IO0Yuac7gNacOl64SZCUqgOc_7PHpQVeJEfEvbGcKH7JdJLFRGGcPO2yleS4BQRnDs4ro

DIY Trendy ‘mushroom lamps’. Image Credit: @genevavanderzeil

To mimic the shape of a mushroom, she used a painted glass vase and a metal bowl, glued them together and inserted battery-operated lights inside the bowl.

“I've been seeing these little lamps around and have wanted to make one myself for a while now. How cute are they?! I honestly can't believe how easy this one was.” Geneva wrote on her Instagram post.

The end result? An incredible, stylish lamp that can be replicated by anyone easily.

“This is the simplest project I've done in a while, it will honestly only take you an hour to put it together.” the home stylist added.

“And even though it may look like some sort of alien-repelling device on the inside, thanks to the fairy lights glued on, it works a treat and casts a decent amount of glow.” she continued.

Post Credit: @genevavanderzeil (Instagram)

Geneva mentioned that she searched high and low for the perfect bowl and eventually opted for the $7 IKEA Blanda bowl.

vDplN1zqQHwTnW_fO4_yeEwGxGRsHYjonwHdXvmQ2QkwMUODG8_KUvufLLxTJmzcLpC3LUhjttw4nxB2NRbvI2TrbssTTGXrN4Ynf1ynIDQhYBOxQiOAUONuIWP90iBf9vxzfS2l
JosS8Kuu5nlcpR-PnFZn-GDnf7CU9slSIp42L5wB7zG2OnZl4YQk3gJHZfWcnoPx4KUjPmDtqigiNEKO4yq6_9nJzBlBYKJjtXpo4T3I_jB3h3owOqIoO8UMURNjG3qHQHo69LGe

Geneva’s ‘mushroom lamp’ making process. Image Credit: @genevavanderzeil

She starts by combining baking soda with water-based paint to achieve a ceramic effect, then she proceeds to apply layers of the mixture onto the vase and bowl.

After a few coats of paint were applied and completely dried, Geneva delicately glued the fairy lights along with the battery pack to the inner centre of the bowl.

Next, she popped the bowl atop the glass canister and turned on the fairy lights. Ta-da! DIY-ing has never been this simple.

The process is easy enough for beginners and it doesn’t require an overwhelming amount of items either.

She documented the entire process from start to finish and uploaded it to TikTok. Only 24 hours later, her clip amassed over 166k views and 18k likes.

“Wow! this looks amazing and it’s so affordable!” one user praised.

“Those turned out great. They really look like the store-bought lamps.” chimed in another.

“Okay, I’m doing this!” added a third.

Add this DIY project to your to-do list! Looking for a similar, easy DIY hack using another common household item? We’ve got a great read for you here.

Want to see Geneva’s full TikTok video? Watch it below!

Video Credit: @genevavanderzeil

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored