Home and Away star claims show has lost its 'essence'

For many, the television soap Home and Away has been a staple of evening entertainment since its inception in 1988.

The show, set in the fictional coastal town of Summer Bay, has become an iconic part of Aussie culture, with its gripping storylines and relatable characters.

However, according to one of the show's most enduring stars who plays the beloved Alf Stewart, the essence of what made Home and Away so special has been lost over the years.

In a candid interview, Ray Meagher expressed his concerns that the show has strayed far from the original vision of a close-knit seaside community, which focused on the Fletcher family and their foster children.

This premise, which resonated with many viewers, has been overshadowed by a shift towards more sensational and crime-focused storylines.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.31.57 AM.png
Ray Meagher shared that Home and Away has shifted away from its original vision. Image source: Prime Video.

The introduction of the River Boys in 2011 marked a significant change in the show's direction.

The trio, portrayed by actors Lincoln Younes, Steve Peacocke, and Dan Ewing, brought a darker element to Summer Bay with their tough demeanours and penchant for trouble.

While this period was undoubtedly popular, Meagher questions whether it truly reflected the spirit of the Bay.

'I mean, that was just a great period. But was it Summer Bay?' Meagher asked.

'In my humble opinion, not to that extent.'

Meagher acknowledged that a bit of 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll' can add excitement to a show, but he felt that these elements were introduced in 'too big of a dose'.

This has transformed Home and Away into something unrecognisable from its family-oriented roots.

Despite his criticisms, Meagher's commitment to the show remains strong.

He recently renewed his contract, ensuring that he will continue to grace our screens as Alf Stewart until at least 2027.

Reflecting on his initial scepticism when he first joined the cast, Meagher is now an integral part of the show's legacy, having become one of Australia's most recognisable and cherished soap stars.

'We’d done the pilot, and to be honest, I was older and more cynical, and was convinced it would crash and burn like most [shows] do,' he said.

Meagher also touched on the importance of diversity and representation in Home and Away.

He advocated for better LGBTQ+ representation among the cast, saying, 'Having spent a goodly period in [Priscilla, Queen of the Desert] here and in London, NZ and Brisbane—a year and a half probably. It’d be nice to have a…gay character come into the Bay. That would be good.'

'However, how many of them do we have in Summer Bay? There would definitely be a percentage, whether they’re above the ground or underground, still in a town like the Bay.'

Meagher emphasised the need for authentic representation that mirrors real life rather than a sudden influx of diverse characters that can feel forced and unreflective of a genuine community.
Key Takeaways

• Ray Meagher, an icon of Home and Away, felt that the show has moved away from its original premise that centred on a community and fostering narrative.
  • Meagher has criticised the introduction of the River Boys storyline and subsequent crime-based arcs, suggesting they don't truly represent the essence of Summer Bay.
  • Despite his criticism, Meagher has renewed his contract with Home and Away until at least 2027, showing his long-standing commitment to the show.
  • Meagher believed that better LGBTQ+ representation is needed in Home and Away, advocating for the inclusion of gay characters that reflect real-life communities.
Members, do you agree with Ray Meagher's sentiments? What changes would you like to see in Summer Bay? Share your opinions and memories of the show with us, and let's reminisce about the golden days of Home and Away together.

Sponsored
Sorry, never interested in these soapies and they have always been totally off the plot in a lot of ways.

I stopped watching after doing so for many years, I liked to support the Aussie actors. I am no longer interested in watching middle aged men and women acting like overgrown teenagers. I can't think of one wholesome storyline in a long while. They have definitely lost the plot.

I don't agree. This show has been going for over 30 years.
Life has changed, not for the good in many ways, and the show has changed along with it.
The show is still popular and I don't think it would have lasted this long if it had stayed with their original storyline. Not too many people want to watch the "same old same old" year in year out.JMO.

Shows like these influence young people. All I have seen lately is misery. Violence and crime ,drugs and depression. Scandal after scandal. No one holds down a proper job and if they do, they are always drunk,
Not a good role model for young people anymore. Life has changed, not for the good as you say so don't need this show to influence further. Maybe they can put it in a different time slot.

Shows like these influence young people. All I have seen lately is misery. Violence and crime ,drugs and depression. Scandal after scandal. No one holds down a proper job and if they do, they are always drunk,
Not a good role model for young people anymore. Life has changed, not for the good as you say so don't need this show to influence further. Maybe they can put it in a different time slot.
Summer Bay has got nothing on Mount Thomas of Blue Heelers fame.

Boasting a population of 6399, Mount Thomas hosted a murder every weekday for its 510 episodes, making Mexico City look like a kiddies playground in comparison. :p

I don't agree. This show has been going for over 30 years.
Life has changed, not for the good in many ways, and the show has changed along with it.
The show is still popular and I don't think it would have lasted this long if it had stayed with their original storyline. Not too many people want to watch the "same old same old" year in year out.JMO.
mylittletibbies, I agree with you! I have watched the show since the beginning and the show has kept up with the moving times over the years, it has its ups and downs just like life has and I will continue to watch it whilst it is still in production! Love my Home & Away!!

Fostering brought back and younger kids so the high school can be reopened, they were the days with the kids running around going to school having fun even though they were in a foster home

Reactions: Bob’s Buddy
Watched it when it was first aired then quickly lost interest as it became so unbelievable. See the end of it sometimes when I switch channels and it looks as if it still unbelievably stupid

Totally agree. Haven't bothered watching for years. Just seeing the trailers for it turn me off watching. It started out as a great little show but the original concept got lost along the way.
Totally agree Havent watched it for years either

Summer Bay has got nothing on Mount Thomas of Blue Heelers fame.

Boasting a population of 6399, Mount Thomas hosted a murder every weekday for its 510 episodes, making Mexico City look like a kiddies playground in comparison. :p
Thats what you might expect in a cop show. The cop in Home and Away is an overgrown fool.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Thats what you might expect in a cop show. The cop in Home and Away is an overgrown fool.
You do realise don't you that he is an actor playing a part,not a real person.
If people don't like the show, then don't watch it, I don't.
But obviously plenty of people do, or it wouldn't still be going after 30 years. To each his own I say.
Our kids used to watch Skippy, we watched Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, etc. These shows are just not relatable to children these days
The world is just not so innocent anymore, unfortunately.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
You do realise don't you that he is an actor playing a part,not a real person.
If people don't like the show, then don't watch it, I don't.
But obviously plenty of people do, or it wouldn't still be going after 30 years. To each his own I say.
Our kids used to watch Skippy, we watched Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, etc. These shows are just not relatable to children these days
The world is just not so innocent anymore, unfortunately.
Actually, I am not stupid, of course I know he is an actor, and not very good at it. I did say I don't watch it. I watched all the other shows as a kid as well, they taught the kids a few descent morals.
Home and Away is hardly a kids show.