Holiday Hints: Things to Consider Before Your Next Trip

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

After COVID restrictions, lockdowns, airline cancellations and whatnot, a lot of us are now in the position to ‘take a holiday’. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you may decide to take an overseas holiday to, for instance, the UK, Europe or the United States even.

Having migrated from England with our first child in 1969, my wife and I decided that we’d like to take one ‘last’ holiday to the UK to catch up personally with the family and maybe take a nostalgic look back at some of the places we knew and loved when we were a lot younger.

Planning for an overseas holiday falls into several very distinct areas: Flights, Stopovers, Transit Hotels, Car Hire, Accommodation, Travel Insurance, Telephone communication while overseas, and last but by no means least, Spending money.

When we were younger, a lot of these posed fewer problems. We could easily last thirteen to fourteen hours on a plane, apart from boredom, and hiring a car was easy. As we got older, we noticed things such as car hire, and insurance would rise steadily with age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Why only one paragraph?
This is an early access exclusive for SDC Rewards members (our paid subscription). (As per the newsletter, 'SDC Rewards members! Planning a holiday? Enjoy early access to member Alan G's tips for a smooth overseas adventure!')

would be nice to be able to read the full page.
We will open up full access for everyone next week; this is just a sneak peek for our Rewards members. :giggle:

There will also be an all-access article from Alan in tomorrow's newsletter about his lifelong hobby of clockmaking!

Reactions: DLHM
Insure and Go is good for travel Insurance especially if you have medical problems. It was the best and cheapest that I could find for my partner as most companies would not insure for some of his medical diagnoses. Also if you get a quote on line and then ring the company I found that I got it cheaper.

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

After COVID restrictions, lockdowns, airline cancellations and whatnot, a lot of us are now in the position to ‘take a holiday’. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you may decide to take an overseas holiday to, for instance, the UK, Europe or the United States even.

Having migrated from England with our first child in 1969, my wife and I decided that we’d like to take one ‘last’ holiday to the UK to catch up personally with the family and maybe take a nostalgic look back at some of the places we knew and loved when we were a lot younger.

Planning for an overseas holiday falls into several very distinct areas: Flights, Stopovers, Transit Hotels, Car Hire, Accommodation, Travel Insurance, Telephone communication while overseas, and last but by no means least, Spending money.

When we were younger, a lot of these posed fewer problems. We could easily last thirteen to fourteen hours on a plane, apart from boredom, and hiring a car was easy. As we got older, we noticed things such as car hire, and insurance would rise steadily with age.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM