Hidden savings at Coles: How this shopper scored a massive discount just by reading the label!

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we're always on the lookout for clever ways to save money. Whether it's how to shop for discounts on your favourite cosmetic products or a simple way to save while you grocery shop, we know how important it is to watch how much you spend.

And today, we've got a heck of a story for you: a Coles shopper managed to nab a larger-than-life Toblerone for an unbelievably low price – all thanks to a simple label error.

Now, you might be thinking, ‘A discounted chocolate bar? What's the big deal?’ But let us explain why this story warrants special mention.

The lucky chocolate-lover in question stumbled upon an orange-flavoured Toblerone – an exciting twist on the classic treat – priced at just $1.50!

For context, these 360-gram bars are usually sold for $12 on special at Coles. So, stumbling upon one priced as low as $1.50 amounts to an absolute steal.

choc1.jpg
The customer found the error on a tag while shopping at Coles. Credit: Facebook

‘Sometimes it pays to read labels,’ the shopper shared after snagging the bar and noticing a misprinted tag on the chocolate, which showed the special price of two for $16, yet displayed the individual price at $1.50.

The special-flavoured Toblerone was a limited-edition version and is no longer available on Coles’ website, though other varieties, including the original milk chocolate flavour, are still available in the supermarket giant’s online store for $12.

The lucky shopper that shared this sweet find posted it on a popular Facebook group to remind everyone about the importance of paying attention to labels at the supermarket.

choc2.jpg
The shopper stressed the importance of checking the sale tags while grocery shopping. Credit: Coles

The shopper also confirmed that he only paid $1.50 for the chocolate and stated that his local store was happy to honour what was written on the price tag.

Social media users who saw the post were delighted by the man’s find.

‘Oh my… I’m going to be on the hunt for these now,’ one said.

‘You watch – the workers are now going to wonder why a whole community across Australia are suddenly getting close and reading tags down the aisle,’ another jokingly replied in the comments section.

‘Yep. My shopping is now going to take so much longer reading all these labels,’ someone else wrote.

Some admitted that they’re usually ‘spaced out’ while shopping.

‘I am definitely going to have to concentrate now,’ another shared.

Encouraged by this story, other Facebook group members shared their experiences of discovering seemingly minor labelling errors that led to significant savings.

‘Once is luck – twice...Well, it could happen again and again. This is the best tip ever,’ an excited member claimed.

This just goes to show that it's worth taking a little extra time in those supermarket aisles to inspect product labels and search for hidden gems or pricing discrepancies.

And beyond the sweets section, it's essential to keep an eye out for deals and discounts all around the store. Don't be afraid to scrutinise those sale signs and read the fine print; it might just lead to an unexpected bargain.

As a bonus, always make sure to have a chat with the friendly staff at your local supermarket. This comes after a lucky shopper managed to walk away with $11.35 worth of beef rump steaks – all thanks to a helpful and kind Woolworths employee.

According to her, she was given a special sticker that allowed her to get a special discount at the checkout.

‘Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but when we were at Woolies today, a staff member chased us down and stuck this sticker over the barcode of some steak we had in our trolley,’ she said.

You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A chocolate lover at Coles supermarket noticed an error on a ‘special’ tag and scored an orange-flavoured Toblerone for just $1.50.
  • The shopper shared the misprinted tag and his chocolate bar purchase, reminding everyone that attention to detail can be rewarding, especially while shopping for groceries at the supermarket.
  • The man also said that his local store was happy to honour the price on the tag despite the error.
  • Other shoppers began sharing their own misprinted tags, highlighting the importance of checking labels carefully and potentially saving on each shopping trip.
Do you know other tips and tricks to get discounts while grocery shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Happy shopping, dear members, and good luck scouring those aisles for your next amazing discount!

Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
why would you publicise it, once it was brought to the attention of the staffer, they are obligated under the scanning policy of Coles to give you the 1st item for free and the next at the label price but all others at the actual price. It would then be blocked on the scanning system as an error.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we're always on the lookout for clever ways to save money. Whether it's how to shop for discounts on your favourite cosmetic products or a simple way to save while you grocery shop, we know how important it is to watch how much you spend.

And today, we've got a heck of a story for you: a Coles shopper managed to nab a larger-than-life Toblerone for an unbelievably low price – all thanks to a simple label error.

Now, you might be thinking, ‘A discounted chocolate bar? What's the big deal?’ But let us explain why this story warrants special mention.

The lucky chocolate-lover in question stumbled upon an orange-flavoured Toblerone – an exciting twist on the classic treat – priced at just $1.50!

For context, these 360-gram bars are usually sold for $12 on special at Coles. So, stumbling upon one priced as low as $1.50 amounts to an absolute steal.

View attachment 21604
The customer found the error on a tag while shopping at Coles. Credit: Facebook

‘Sometimes it pays to read labels,’ the shopper shared after snagging the bar and noticing a misprinted tag on the chocolate, which showed the special price of two for $16, yet displayed the individual price at $1.50.

The special-flavoured Toblerone was a limited-edition version and is no longer available on Coles’ website, though other varieties, including the original milk chocolate flavour, are still available in the supermarket giant’s online store for $12.

The lucky shopper that shared this sweet find posted it on a popular Facebook group to remind everyone about the importance of paying attention to labels at the supermarket.

View attachment 21605
The shopper stressed the importance of checking the sale tags while grocery shopping. Credit: Coles

The shopper also confirmed that he only paid $1.50 for the chocolate and stated that his local store was happy to honour what was written on the price tag.

Social media users who saw the post were delighted by the man’s find.

‘Oh my… I’m going to be on the hunt for these now,’ one said.

‘You watch – the workers are now going to wonder why a whole community across Australia are suddenly getting close and reading tags down the aisle,’ another jokingly replied in the comments section.

‘Yep. My shopping is now going to take so much longer reading all these labels,’ someone else wrote.

Some admitted that they’re usually ‘spaced out’ while shopping.

‘I am definitely going to have to concentrate now,’ another shared.

Encouraged by this story, other Facebook group members shared their experiences of discovering seemingly minor labelling errors that led to significant savings.

‘Once is luck – twice...Well, it could happen again and again. This is the best tip ever,’ an excited member claimed.

This just goes to show that it's worth taking a little extra time in those supermarket aisles to inspect product labels and search for hidden gems or pricing discrepancies.

And beyond the sweets section, it's essential to keep an eye out for deals and discounts all around the store. Don't be afraid to scrutinise those sale signs and read the fine print; it might just lead to an unexpected bargain.

As a bonus, always make sure to have a chat with the friendly staff at your local supermarket. This comes after a lucky shopper managed to walk away with $11.35 worth of beef rump steaks – all thanks to a helpful and kind Woolworths employee.

According to her, she was given a special sticker that allowed her to get a special discount at the checkout.

‘Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but when we were at Woolies today, a staff member chased us down and stuck this sticker over the barcode of some steak we had in our trolley,’ she said.

You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A chocolate lover at Coles supermarket noticed an error on a ‘special’ tag and scored an orange-flavoured Toblerone for just $1.50.
  • The shopper shared the misprinted tag and his chocolate bar purchase, reminding everyone that attention to detail can be rewarding, especially while shopping for groceries at the supermarket.
  • The man also said that his local store was happy to honour the price on the tag despite the error.
  • Other shoppers began sharing their own misprinted tags, highlighting the importance of checking labels carefully and potentially saving on each shopping trip.
Do you know other tips and tricks to get discounts while grocery shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Happy shopping, dear members, and good luck scouring those aisles for your next amazing discount!
Labels and tags are a constant battle for me, my eye sight is so bad, I am severely short sighted, so wear glasses to correct that, meaning I can see further than a couple of feet away, cannot for the life of me see from one end of the isle to the other, without them. Consequently while wearing those glasses I cannot read tags or labels, they are just a blur in front of me, removing them is of absolutely no help as I need reading glasses as well, don't we just love getting older !!

why would you publicise it, once it was brought to the attention of the staffer, they are obligated under the scanning policy of Coles to give you the 1st item for free and the next at the label price but all others at the actual price. It would then be blocked on the scanning system as an error.
It just to reaffirm that one should always check the labels when shopping and not only to grab the product

I scored a bag of 4 limes for free yesterday. They had been reduced to 55 cents but they had scanned at the original price of $5.50. Lucky I had checked my docket before leaving Coles. The lady at the service desk refunded me the full price. Bonus.