SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
Help with Eulogy please

This is a hard one. My only uncle passed away last Saturday, I basically was the only person visiting him in the nursing home over the past 2 years except my mother when she managed to come to Sydney.

My uncle actually wasn't a very nice man when it came to family including his parents he was very selfish. He married 2 Fijian ladies and Fijian people he did everything for. He had no children
When he became sick it was only myself and mother who visited.

I am the one left organising his funeral and I'm now also left writing and saying his eulogy. Please can you give me advice on what I have written , I couldn't think of anything nice he really did.
EULOGY

Hello Everyone for those of you who don't know me. I'm Bill's eldest niece.

Uncle Bill was born on the 22nd of May 1940 at The Crown St Hospital for Women in Sydney, he was the eldest child of William also known as Bill and Thelma Jean

He was blessed with 3 sisters Thelma ,Robyn and Carol

When I think about the many stories that were told to me from before I was born the one that stands out the most was when he was around 8 years old and living in Brennan st Leichardt ,he was in the kitchen with his mum and 2 of his sisters when he started to scream telling his mother to run with the girls as a truck was coming down the hill. My grandmother grabbed the girls and ran just as a truck came through their house and stopped exactly where they were standing only minutes before . I guess we can say he was a hero at a young age , by the way the story made the newspaper.

When uncle Bill was around 9 he came down with diphtheria and was admitted to a Sydney infectious disease hospital his stay there was around 8 weeks and sadly when his parents visited this had to be done through a glass wall. I couldn't imagine how this would have been for a 9 year old boy.

Strangely after this he never caught another disease while young. Even when all his sisters had mumps, measles or chicken pox he never caught it even though he would be next to his sisters Maybe secretly he thought he could get out of school

Uncle Bill had 3 families, consisting of his parents, his 3 sisters and his 13 nieces and nephews .

His best friends Bobby Ryan and Brian ....and his Fijian family

His early love of Fijians saw him marry twice and both were Fijian ladies Loma being his second wife. It always amazed me how he could communicate with them when he actually never spoke Fijian but somehow he did, my grandfather always said if Billy could be a Fijian he would .

Uncle Bill had several jobs but his longest was working for Canterbury Council , he started off as a garbage truck driver then later and his last job he became a Ranger which he took very seriously in fact you wouldn't want to have been the one he caught for something , he never gave the person a chance it was an instant fine. Gosh he threatened to issue us with a fine , One day he stopped by and saw my husband cutting down a shrub not a tree and he said Hey you do know I can fine you, I replied if it was a tree you could but this is a shrub ,he then tried to say he was mucking around.

Now this leads me to something my uncle used to do that he thought was funny but unfortunately my cousins Peter, Danny and my brother Bob did not think so, my uncle would be sitting on the floor of my grandparents home watching TV eating a large bucket of KFC and drinking coke…he would ask them if they wanted a piece and would hold it out only to pull it back and eat it as they reached for it. Sorry uncle Bill but that is a memory we all have. My uncle had a very wicked sense of humor.

We all have our own memories and I could go on but I want to leave it here and say to uncle Bill in the end you were a true warrior fighting a battle that not many could have seen through.

Rest in Peace uncle Bill

Help with Eulogy please

This is a hard one. My only uncle passed away last Saturday, I basically was the only person visiting him in the nursing home over the past 2 years except my mother when she managed to come to Sydney.

My uncle actually wasn't a very nice man when it came to family including his parents he was very selfish. He married 2 Fijian ladies and Fijian people he did everything for. He had no children
When he became sick it was only myself and mother who visited.

I am the one left organising his funeral and I'm now also left writing and saying his eulogy. Please can you give me advice on what I have written , I couldn't think of anything nice he really did.
EULOGY

Hello Everyone for those of you who don't know me. I'm Bill's eldest niece.

Uncle Bill was born on the 22nd of May 1940 at The Crown St Hospital for Women in Sydney, he was the eldest child of William also known as Bill and Thelma Jean

He was blessed with 3 sisters Thelma ,Robyn and Carol

When I think about the many stories that were told to me from before I was born the one that stands out the most was when he was around 8 years old and living in Brennan st Leichardt ,he was in the kitchen with his mum and 2 of his sisters when he started to scream telling his mother to run with the girls as a truck was coming down the hill. My grandmother grabbed the girls and ran just as a truck came through their house and stopped exactly where they were standing only minutes before . I guess we can say he was a hero at a young age , by the way the story made the newspaper.

When uncle Bill was around 9 he came down with diphtheria and was admitted to a Sydney infectious disease hospital his stay there was around 8 weeks and sadly when his parents visited this had to be done through a glass wall. I couldn't imagine how this would have been for a 9 year old boy.

Strangely after this he never caught another disease while young. Even when all his sisters had mumps, measles or chicken pox he never caught it even though he would be next to his sisters Maybe secretly he thought he could get out of school

Uncle Bill had 3 families, consisting of his parents, his 3 sisters and his 13 nieces and nephews .

His best friends Bobby Ryan and Brian ....and his Fijian family

His early love of Fijians saw him marry twice and both were Fijian ladies Loma being his second wife. It always amazed me how he could communicate with them when he actually never spoke Fijian but somehow he did, my grandfather always said if Billy could be a Fijian he would .

Uncle Bill had several jobs but his longest was working for Canterbury Council , he started off as a garbage truck driver then later and his last job he became a Ranger which he took very seriously in fact you wouldn't want to have been the one he caught for something , he never gave the person a chance it was an instant fine. Gosh he threatened to issue us with a fine , One day he stopped by and saw my husband cutting down a shrub not a tree and he said Hey you do know I can fine you, I replied if it was a tree you could but this is a shrub ,he then tried to say he was mucking around.

Now this leads me to something my uncle used to do that he thought was funny but unfortunately my cousins Peter, Danny and my brother Bob did not think so, my uncle would be sitting on the floor of my grandparents home watching TV eating a large bucket of KFC and drinking coke…he would ask them if they wanted a piece and would hold it out only to pull it back and eat it as they reached for it. Sorry uncle Bill but that is a memory we all have. My uncle had a very wicked sense of humor.

We all have our own memories and I could go on but I want to leave it here and say to uncle Bill in the end you were a true warrior fighting a battle that not many could have seen through.

Rest in Peace uncle Bill
I think this is lovely, @Suzanne rose! It still seems like you care about him and I think that's more than enough. The mere fact that you're doing this to honour his memory matters. You have such a beautiful soul.