I wish people would read the news instead of making comments that are wrong.
The changing of $150 to $300 is for retirees that get paid work and wont lose pension.It just means you can earn $300 per fortnight instead of $150 which is a lot better.

Reactions: @Wendyfay
I have been on job seeker for 2 years and dont smoke,cant afford to drink,no tatts,no piercings and i really want to work.Im 66 and i think that would be the reason i cant get employment.

• Sad
Reactions: @Wendyfay
That's sad. There is definitely ageism in the job market! It used to be sexism that we fought against in my working years, but now it's agism since they increased the retirement age.

The basic requirements you will need for a couple of options that might be of assistance to you are a Police Clearance, and a motor vehicle with fully comprehensive insurance.

You could then look into the area of Support Workers who provide support for parents needing Support Assistant for Court ordered, Supervised access, between parents & children. Check with your local Courthouse, as they might even be able to point you in the right direction for that. I'm not quite sure what that position is called though.
You may also need an ABN as I think that you'd be working as a 'Small Business owner' and you'd be self-employed.

The Aged Care industry can't get enough workers!

You could also apply to the various Aged Care service providers, both online, and visit the ones in your town.
There's a huge need for people who are physically willing and able to do Domestic Assistance - No requirement for this other than a Police Clearance and motor vehicle & fully comp. insurance. There's also a screaming need out there for Aged Care Assistants, and Personal Care Assistants. Our 'baby boomer' population is aging, so we need the assistance of people who are willing to do the work.

There are usually plenty of vacancies for basic Domestic assistance, as you also have clients who need assistance getting to appointments, grocery shopping, help with hobbies, going out for Social Support, such as coffee in the sun, or a visit to the local park, etc. All that is in Domestic Assistance. The Aged Care Service Providers here are always hiring people up here, and probably are everywhere else too. As soon as the course ends, there's a new intake of staff!

The Aged Care Certificate is only a short Tafe course, then 'on the job' training. This might be worth looking into, especially if you've had no luck in two years, a few months is nothing, especially as you'd have nothing to lose by doing it, and a piece of paper that's worth a job that you could do for as long as you wanted. The hourly rate of pay for Age Care Workers was just increased in the last Federal budget.

The Personal Care Assistants course is only a little more training, but if you are willing, this is work that would also carry you through for well past your retirement age. You can usually continue working as an Age Care Assistant whilst doing the Personal Care Assistant course, as much of it is online training. You can just continue adding to these Certificates with things like, Medications, etc. Whatever organisation you work for, will also pay for you to continue to upskill ... so that your Certificates won't expire.

These are well worth seriously considering as they will also bump up your Superannuation when you get a job. I'm not sure, but you might even be entitled to a little more from Centrelink rather than just the basic Jobseeker, or perhaps an additional payment whilst you're studying and training.

Depending upon your previous work experience, you might find working for one of the established Aged Care Service Providers in your area, at least to begin with.
There are also 'online' service providers. Basically, they handle the govt contribution for the Client's Care packages, but instead of having to use the Carers employed by the regular, mostly church based Service Providers, this allows the Clients to 'Self Manage', so that they make the arrangements between themselves and their Support Worker. If you look up online Aged Care service providers, you might find more information there. There's one called Mabel & another called Trilogy, and there are a lot more starting up almost every day now. You'll need an ABN for that, as you'd be working as a self-employed small business owner.

These are just a few suggestions for you to consider, incl some for further down the track. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help where I can, but I think that if you check out support workers, Carers online, I think that you'll be surprised at the number of options out there.

I live in Hervey Bay (apparently, it's known as either 'Gods Waiting Room', or 'The Happiest Town in Australia', according to a friend of mine. I moved here for the climate. I'd been in two different hospitals over 4 years, and my bed was diagonally opposite the same lady's bed, twice! I was only 27 the first time, but I'd been placed into a Geriatric Rehab Unit ... eight of the longest, most hellish months I've ever experienced! Then, I went into a private hospital about three years later, and the same lady was diagonally opposite me again! I was paralysed both times, and she'd had a hip replacement each time. She was a wonderful lady who shared just some of the truly amazing, 'true grit' stories about her incredible life. She always said that she just wanted to live long enough to get to Hervey Bay. She made it, but only for a few months. So, when I was in a position to choose where I wanted to live, I decided that Hervey Bay was at the perfect latitude, for had the perfect climate. I wasn't far wrong. It can get hot in January & February, but it's perfect for the other 10 months of the year! ... but I digress!

In conclusion, whilst you're not working at the moment, I'd suggest getting into Tafe first and doing the Aged Care Certificate first, because once you begin working in a position that doesn't require the Certificate, it will be harder to take time off work to do the course. Then, once you start working for a Service Provider, you can go ahead with the Personal Assistant Certificate and build up from there. Down the track, after you get yourself back into the swing of working again, you can begin looking into working for an online service provider. If you do the Tafe Aged Care course, you'll also be able to work for any of the nursing homes (do they still call them that nowadays?), or Residential Care homes in your area. Remember that most Residential Care facilities have either two or three levels of care that they provide.

Good Luck ... & I hope this helps ... Please let me know how you go, as I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Cheers, Wendy.

Thanks for your reply wendy.I am currently week 4 into a 6 week coarse,that will get me certificates,so i can apply to get into the kitchen at the hospital.Today i sit a one on one with a instructor to complete my first aid certificate.I live in gippsland victoria only 13 yrs,formally from melboure.My name is wayne.