Heartbreaking news: Esteemed 'This Is Us' actor Ron Cephas Jones passes away at 66

A sombre wave has swept the entertainment industry with the passing of a long-standing figure in the acting world.

Ron Cephas Jones, known to many for his unforgettable, award-winning role in the acclaimed series, This Is Us, has passed away due to long-standing pulmonary complications at the age of 66.

Who can forget his emotionally powerful depiction of William Hill in the drama series? The character was known for being the biological father of Randall Pearson, portrayed by Emmy-winning Sterling K. Brown. Jones's performance was so gripping and moving that it earned him two well-deserved Emmys.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 072638.png
Ron Cephas Jones as William in This Is Us. Credit: rp58641/Youtube

This sad news of Jones’s passing circulated in a statement from the actor's publicist to People on August 19.

'Ron's heart, generosity, indescribable warmth and boundless kindness were felt deeply by anyone who was fortunate enough to know him,' his representative lovingly expressed.

'From his debut at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe to his most recent award-winning performance in Broadway's 'Clyde’s’ William's love for the stage dominated his remarkable career.'

Jones's portrayal of William Hill in This Is Us moved millions around the globe. Often addressing powerful topics head-on, William's character was a recovering addict and musician who tragically battled and succumbed to stomach cancer.

The show, praised for its intricate storytelling and relatable character development, concluded in 2022 after six successful seasons. Jones's impact on the series lingered long after its conclusion.

'His radiance and grace were reflected in his multi-Emmy winning role on This Is Us, endearing him to an enormous audience,' the publicist's statement thoughtfully recounted.

This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman wrote on X, previously known as Twitter.

‘My God: what an actor. I don't think I ever changed a single take of his in a cut because everything he did was perfect.’

Jones possessed a truly staggering range, showcasing his talent in various roles beyond This Is Us. He played Romero in the cult-favourite series Mr. Robot and Bobby Fish in Luke Cage.

More recently, he sat comfortably in the leading spotlight in the Apple TV+ crime drama Truth Be Told, where he portrayed Shreve, the father of Octavia Spencer’s main character.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 073955.png
Jones portrayed Shreve in Truth Be Told. Credit: BOSSIP/Youtube

Jones's theatrical abilities also shone on the big screen, with memorable performances in films like Across the Universe and Paid in Full.

You can watch some of Jones's performance in this video feature:

Extreme solace can be found in knowing his legacy will continue through his daughter, Jasmine Cephas Jones. Jasmine is an Emmy-winning actress known for masterful performances, such as her dual roles of Peggy Schuyler and Maria Reynolds in Broadway’s Hamilton.

The talented father-daughter duo achieved a milestone when they became the first parental pair to win Emmys in the same year—2020. She claimed the award for Outstanding Actress in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series for portraying Tyisha in #FreeRayshawn. Just days later, Jones obtained his second Creative Arts Emmy for his unforgettable role in This Is Us.

On this extraordinary achievement, a teary-eyed Jones shared with reporters, 'As a parent, that's the most fulfilling that I could ever feel at the moment...I mean, winning another Emmy is icing on the cake, but to see my daughter progress and move into this place of where she’s earned an Emmy is beyond words.'

Key Takeaways
  • Emmy-winning actor Ron Cephas Jones, known for his role in This Is Us, has passed away at the age of 66 due to a long-standing pulmonary issue.
  • Jones had a successful acting career across stage and screen, with notable roles including the biological father of Randall Pearson in This Is Us and Shreve in Truth Be Told.
  • He is survived by his daughter Jasmine Cephas Jones, an Emmy-winning actress. Together, they made history in 2020 by becoming the first father-daughter duo to win Emmys in the same year.

Our heartfelt thoughts go out to his family and fans during this difficult time. We honour Ron Cephas Jones, a beacon in the industry whose life and talent have touched innumerable hearts.

His unforgettable performances and contribution to acting will live on, forever cherished in the annals of television history. His memory will continue shining brightly, illuminating the path for many aspiring artists.

Sponsored
I didn't recognise his name but after looking I have seen him before, a good actor . So young as well.

Wow I'm not good at recognising names now. Where as other actors I know straight away eg George Clooney, Brad Pit, Jack Nicholson ect ect

Reactions: Christine Landale