SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Heartbreaking Closure of Melbourne Pet Cemetery Left Owners in the Dark

Content warning: This contains discussions of pet loss.

We know many of our members are pet owners. We consider pets an important part of the family: I know I do. That’s why, when member Saskia C. recently reached out to bring something to our attention, we were deeply distressed and had to investigate. Here is what she shared:

‘I had four dogs buried at the Pets Memorial at Bergins Road Rowville. I had beautiful plaques made up and was told it was a permanent resting place. The first dog that I had buried there was August 1992, followed by three others as the years went by. As the cemetery was full, I had the remains of my next four dogs that I had cremated when they passed away, and I have them in containers at home. Some weeks ago, I had a medical appointment in the Rowville area and decided that as I was passing, I would go there. As I drove up Bergins Road, I noticed the road wasn’t gravel anymore and had no big potholes; it was bitumen and lots of houses. As I kept going, I stopped where the entrance WAS, and to my shock and horror, there were houses built on the cemetery area and across the road; in fact, the entire area is housing. The cemetery had been bulldozed, including the plaques and the owners were not notified that it was going to be entirely destroyed and houses built by the owner. I was and still am completely devastated that the gravesites of my four dogs were just totally demolished.’

‘There is a boarding kennel just around the kennel and I went there to ask them when it was destroyed and the owner of the kennels told me approximately four years ago. The property was privately owned. At no time were we advised that it was going to be demolished so that we could retrieve the plaque and complain that it was a permanent resting place for our pets. I contacted Knox City Council, who told me it had nothing to do with them as the land was privately owned. Surely, they knew about it, and it would have been common courtesy for the owner to notify the pet owners of his plans. Knox City Council say they were not involved in the sub-dividing of the plots of land, or involved in anything concerning the land, that it was all privately done and owned. I don’t believe it, as the Council wants to know everything but only gets involved if they are interested.’

4E3B12EA00000578-5953611-Pets_Memorial_Gardens_was_in_operation_for_52_years_before_new_c-a-5...jpeg
Image Credit: Pets Memorial Gardens

‘There were many beloved animals buried there, including horses from the late 1800’s, many dogs and cats and even guinea pigs and, more than likely, other beloved animals. I am angry that, firstly, the cemetery was destroyed. It was sacred land. I’ve gone through the whole feeling of loss and the memories of losing these four beautiful, faithful dogs all over again. I demanded that the plaques be available to me but the council will not give me the name of the previous owner.’

‘I also wonder if the people who live there are aware that they are living on top of what was a permanent pet cemetery. I only found out by coincidence because I was going that way and felt it was time to visit my pets again. I believe everyone who had their pets there should be notified of what has happened and that, in some way, we be compensated as the plots belonged to the owners.’

‘People have the right to know that their pets are no longer there. I believe the owner should be fined for not doing his moral duty in notifying people that the cemetery was being demolished and for a chance for people to retrieve their plaques.’

We did some research into this, and here’s what we found.

Pets Memorial Gardens, Melbourne’s only pet cemetery, was forced to close in 2018.

Proprietor John Alexander claimed he ‘had no choice but to’ shut the gates of the 52-year-old pet cemetery in June 2018.

‘It's heartbreaking for all involved,’ Alexander told The Herald Sun, reflecting on the thousands of animals, from cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, goats, goldfish, and lizards, who had been laid to rest at the cemetery – including the 1978 Caulfield Cup winner, Taksan.

‘The gates were always open to the public to visit… people would come and lay flowers most days. It's incredibly disappointing ... I'm not sure what we'll do next.'

You may be wondering the reason for such a shocking closure. Despite claims about supposedly new council restrictions on crematorium use – which had been cited by Alexander as the driving force behind his decision to call it quits – there may not actually have been new 'restrictions' at all. Mr Alexander reportedly cited restrictions on crematorium operating hours due to complaints from neighbours as another reason for the closure.

4E3B12E200000578-5953611-This_is_what_remains_at_Pets_Memorial_Gardens_pictured_following-a-4...jpeg
Image Credit: Facebook

The Knox City Council denied that it had put any restrictions on the use of the crematorium at all, citing that the only contact with the proprietor in recent years was an inspection in 2017, which revealed 'no breaches of operating procedures or guidelines’.

'Council has been able to confirm we have not enforced any new restrictions on the cemetery, including a reduction on the hours its crematorium could operate,' a spokesman said.

'The only record of contact that Council has had with the former owner/operator in recent years was a site inspection involving Council and the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in 2017, which found no breaches of operating procedures or guidelines. We have also reached out to the former owner/operator.'

So why, then, did Alexander close the pet cemetery? It's hard to say, as Alexander has not made any specific public comment in reply to the Council’s statement.

4E3B12DB00000578-5953611-Public_notices_pictured_were_placed_asking_people_to_collect_mem-a-6...jpeg
Notices were placed before closure. Image Credit: Facebook

Whatever the reason, the closure of Pets Memorial Gardens is a huge loss.

In the lead-up to the closure, Mr Alexander placed public notices asking people to collect memorial plaques for their pets. There is no information on whether attempts were made to contact impacted pet owners, but considering Member Saskia C’s experience, it seems it could be unlikely.

This sequence of events is deeply distressing and something that no pet owner should ever have to go through.

Members, do you know anyone whose family pet was buried at Pets Memorial Gardens? Are they aware of the closure?

Our thoughts are with every impacted family. Thank you again to member Saskia C. for bringing this important news to our attention.

Firstly, a pet cemetery is not sacred ground it's just a place where dead animals are buried. If Saskia C was so concerned about the cemetery & the pets she had buried there, why did it take her so long to visit the place where they were buried?
I have been an animal lover since a small child & have always had pets. However, I would never consider the place they were buried when they died as sacred ground or a place to go & put flowers. We need to get things back into perspective - animals are not humans nor are they family members. They are animals & family pets & need to be remembered as such.

I agree why did it take so long before Saskia found out what had happened? When our dogs have died we have had them cremated and still have their ashes in the container buried in our garden. We loved our garden and often say hello to their plaques.

Reactions: Leenie
I agree why did it take so long before Saskia found out what had happened? When our dogs have died we have had them cremated and still have their ashes in the container buried in our garden. We loved our garden and often say hello to their plaques.
My daughter had her King Charles ( he was bitten by a snake ) cremated ,and has his ashes in cremation container. I totally agree with Elaine 41 they are pets not humans .

How far from Saskia's home is the Pet Cemetery? We don't know, no mention was made of this. What other incidents occurred in her life besides the death of other dogs which could not be buried there due to a full cemetery? Could distance explain why she had not gone here for so long? We do know that a medical appointment in the area nearby took her there.

All our dogs, 4 to date, (3 have passed & our current furbaby) were/is treated as a family member by us. The 3 have been cremated, are in urns on our t.v. cabinet &, as stated previously here, their ashes will be spread with ours by our children. Each has given us as much pleasure as we give to each of them.

Many single people have a dog which is treated as family as we are all aware. To tell those people that they are just a dog would be a downright insult. I have friends, couples, who take their dog everywhere except lunches but on vacation.

A dog is a lot of things to a lot of people. Pet, companion, extended family member or anything else. We each have our reasons for keeping a dog & no person has a right to question whether it is called simply a dog or a family member.

Reactions: Miss Chris
How far from Saskia's home is the Pet Cemetery? We don't know, no mention was made of this. What other incidents occurred in her life besides the death of other dogs which could not be buried there due to a full cemetery? Could distance explain why she had not gone here for so long? We do know that a medical appointment in the area nearby took her there.

All our dogs, 4 to date, (3 have passed & our current furbaby) were/is treated as a family member by us. The 3 have been cremated, are in urns on our t.v. cabinet &, as stated previously here, their ashes will be spread with ours by our children. Each has given us as much pleasure as we give to each of them.

Many single people have a dog which is treated as family as we are all aware. To tell those people that they are just a dog would be a downright insult. I have friends, couples, who take their dog everywhere except lunches but on vacation.

A dog is a lot of things to a lot of people. Pet, companion, extended family member or anything else. We each have our reasons for keeping a dog & no person has a right to question whether it is called simply a dog or a family member.
I agree with you….i have had great interaction over the years with my 2 dogs that died….they were cremated and are still with us at home, they will come with me when I go……Our current little dog gives us as much pleasure and joy as my other 2 did……it was heartbreaking to say goodbye to them and we still miss them…….they gave us love and we loved them back…….In my opinion a pet, a dog is very much a member of the family and could never be ‘just a dog’…..

Reactions: Leenie and Ezzy
I agree with you….i have had great interaction over the years with my 2 dogs that died….they were cremated and are still with us at home, they will come with me when I go……Our current little dog gives us as much pleasure and joy as my other 2 did……it was heartbreaking to say goodbye to them and we still miss them…….they gave us love and we loved them back…….In my opinion a pet, a dog is very much a member of the family and could never be ‘just a dog’…..
I agree they are part of the family , I love my daughters 2 labs And pug , I baby sit puggy while they are at work,love And cuddle them, but we must remember they are animals. not hum ans ,what distresses me is when I see them 👗 dressed in clothes.

Reactions: Miss Chris
Yes, l still mourn all our previous furbabies. One of our babies used to lay on the rear parcel shelf of my car & stick his nose against the rear window glass & left a smear over 1/2 of it. 7 years on & l cannot clean the glass. I nicknamed him "pocket rocket", due to his speed to escape his brother, a name which stuck & is on the plaque on his urn.
[I shed tears everytime they are mentioned, like the present. Gone but never forgotten].

A PET'S LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL. (it cannot be bought like a human's love can).

Reactions: Leenie