Health insurer to close 5 branches, cites customer shift to digital platforms

In a move that reflects the changing landscape of customer service, HBF—one of Western Australia's leading health insurers—has announced the permanent closure of five branches.

This decision, which includes the closure of branches in both regional and metropolitan areas, is a significant shift for the insurer and its members.

The company stated that the closure will affect branches in Albany, Kalgoorlie, Floreat, Rockingham, and Mandurah in the coming months. This follows the recent closure of branches in Success and the Perth CBD.

The closures were said to be driven by a shift in customer behaviour towards digital platforms.

73460635_3129261783814464_7217724654398472192_n.png
HBF announced five branch closures. Image source: HBF/Facebook

HBF, Australia's fifth-largest health fund, has seen a significant decrease in in-store interactions over the past few years.

Data from the company revealed that in-store dealings have dropped from 9.3 per cent to a mere 5.3 per cent of total interactions with members.

In contrast, digital platforms now account for approximately 80 per cent of activity from its 1.1 million members, with call centres covering the remaining interactions.

Dr Lachlan Henderson, HBF's Chief Executive, explained the decision, stating, 'To continue providing value to our whole membership base, HBF must balance meeting the needs of our members with operating a sustainable business model.’

‘Given the changes in how we are interacting with our members, particularly the increasing proportion of digital interactions, we intend to close five of our branches in the coming months,' he continued.

The move is not only a response to changing customer behaviour but also a cost-cutting measure.

HBF has experienced two consecutive annual losses, including a $20m deficit in the 2022/23 financial year.

Despite this, the company has managed to grow its member base outside WA to 18.8 per cent.

The closure of these branches will undoubtedly impact HBF's employees. However, the company has stated that staff will be offered redeployment opportunities, including the possibility of remote working.

'These are very difficult decisions that we have not taken lightly, and I would like to acknowledge the impact this will have for some of our members and people,' Dr Henderson said.

The executive also reassured customers who have relied on these branches for their interactions with HBF.

‘We will be reaching out directly to our members who have recently used the affected branches on how we will assist them during this transition,’ he stated.

In HBF's 2023 annual report, Dr Henderson highlighted the company's focus for the year: 'Complete our technology transformation program, retain and ideally grow market share, and continue to refine the operating model in an increasingly digital world.’

This shift towards digitalisation offers several benefits for customers, including increased convenience and efficiency.

However, it also presents challenges, particularly for those who are less comfortable with technology or who prefer face-to-face interactions.

As the industry continues to evolve, companies like HBF will need to find ways to balance the needs of their customers with the realities of operating in a digital world.

This will likely involve improving online services, maintaining a physical presence in key locations, and providing support for customers transitioning to digital platforms.

Key Takeaways
  • HBF is set to permanently close five branches in Western Australia due to a shift in customer preferences towards digital platforms.
  • The closures will affect both regional and metropolitan areas, following a trend of reduced in-store interactions among its members.
  • The health insurer's decision is part of a strategy to maintain a sustainable business model and provide value to its members amidst rising digital engagement.
  • Staff impacted by the branch closures will be offered opportunities for redeployment and remote working as HBF navigates operating in an increasingly digital world.

Are you a member of HBF? How do you feel about the closure of these branches? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
This makes me so angry. I find it very difficult to deal with all these companies which think the only way to go is either internet or phone. They do not consider those of us who are older & find dealing with companies via the internet is out of our comfort zones &, as for phone dealing, well I have too much difficulty in hearing & understanding the person on the other end especially when that person does not use English as their 1st language. Is it any wonder that seniors feel rejected by these companies & become more isolated in their homes?

I am absolutely furious and when I received the letter informing me of the closure of the Mandurah branch I voiced my displeasure in an email to them. Fortunately, I do have a smart phone and of course I am computer literate but why should I have to go to the bother of taking photos of my claims, then uploading them to my computer then going to the HBF website and putting in the claim/s. I pay top dollar for our HBF and in the last 4 years have never had a claim. I feel they can at least do the paperwork for me if and when I need to put in a claim/s in the future. My husband has short term memory loss, has no idea how to operate a smart phone or the computer so if anything should happen to me what does he do???

I am absolutely furious and when I received the letter informing me of the closure of the Mandurah branch I voiced my displeasure in an email to them. Fortunately, I do have a smart phone and of course I am computer literate but why should I have to go to the bother of taking photos of my claims, then uploading them to my computer then going to the HBF website and putting in the claim/s. I pay top dollar for our HBF and in the last 4 years have never had a claim. I feel they can at least do the paperwork for me if and when I need to put in a claim/s in the future. My husband has short term memory loss, has no idea how to operate a smart phone or the computer so if anything should happen to me what does he do???
"but why should I have to go to the bother of taking photos of my claims, then uploading them to my computer then going to the HBF website and putting in the claim/s".

It means that you do the work for them whilst they sack employees. The joys of our modern "hi-tech" world.

"but why should I have to go to the bother of taking photos of my claims, then uploading them to my computer then going to the HBF website and putting in the claim/s".

It means that you do the work for them whilst they sack employees. The joys of our modern "hi-tech" world.
Just like Banks and Supermarkets, every bloody so called "service industry" will eventually try to put this shit on all of us. Stop the fucking greed!!!

Reactions: Rob44 and Phyll

Yes that is right. Everyone has to be catered for in society; not just the computer and smart phone literate. What happens to the rest of society who are unable to work all this technology??

Reactions: Rob44
I have just changed my disabled son to HBF from NIB as NIB wanted on line claims and my son does not use the internet . As I am now 77 years of age I am trying to hand things over to him and his carers so that it is easier. I hope HBF listen to the customers and leave as many branches open as possible for people like me and my son.

Reactions: DLHM and rehandra
I have been doing some investigating and found this on this site. They did not mention in the letter that you could do this. I hope it is still available. The only problem is if you do not have a computer and printer. I imagine you could surely ring them and get them to post out some claim forms.

I would not be doing anything too hasty. This may be the answer to the problem.

"Claim by mail​

Download and complete a claim form and attach the original account(s) and receipt(s) you received from your health care provider, and your Medicare statement if you have claimed from Medicare for in-hospital medical services.

Post your claim to HBF, GPO Box 1440, Perth WA 6845

Don’t forget to complete all the questions and make sure your membership is paid up until at least the day of your treatment.

Note: We will need to keep the claims documents you send to us for our records. If you need to keep the documents, make sure you don’t send us your only copy."

Download a health claim

Reactions: DLHM
very disappointed we will be shopping around
I have been doing some investigating and found this on this site. They did not mention in the letter that you could do this. I hope it is still available. The only problem is if you do not have a computer and printer. I imagine you could surely ring them and get them to post out some claim forms.

"Claim by mail​

Download and complete a claim form and attach the original account(s) and receipt(s) you received from your health care provider, and your Medicare statement if you have claimed from Medicare for in-hospital medical services.

Don’t forget to complete all the questions and make sure your membership is paid up until at least the day of your treatment.

Note: We will need to keep the claims documents you send to us for our records. If you need to keep the documents, make sure you don’t send us your only copy."

Download a health claim
"I imagine you could surely ring them and get them to post out some claim forms."

Maybe............There is no guarantee of that. If you fill in the form by using handwriting take a carbon copy. Oh, I show my age. I used to use carbon paper to ensure I had a copy of what I wanted to keep

• Haha
Reactions: Knell
I guess I am fortunate as I can simply log in, scan my bill and upload it on a very easy and user-friendly site that HBF have. it is just a few minutes; I don't go anywhere, and we are paid in just a few days. I understand those that don't have the computer and printer are disadvantaged but perhaps their children or grandkids could help. These days I don't have to claim many at all as most of our health providers automatically claim for you.

"Claim by mail​

Download a health claim
Why can they not post a copy of the documents back ????