Has this Arnott’s favourite really shrunk? The SDC team investigates

Recently, we wrote about a ‘horrific’ change to the beloved Arnott’s Monte Carlo biscuit that had shoppers in a disappointed frenzy. (@Zemo, @ShannyN, @Big M know what we’re talking about ;) ). You can read more about that here.

SDC members, understandably, had a lot to say about the potential shrinking of the cream and jam swirl inside this classic biscuit.

Member @Jen77au offered some interesting insider insights: ‘Arnotts was my first ever job at 16! That was in the 1990s. I can definitely say that the Monte Carlo biscuit has definitely been affected by shrinkflation! The jam and cream filling were supposed to cover the majority of the inside, with small gaps on either side, according to quality control. If something like this had been produced back then, it would have been classed as a “reject” and been removed from selling to the public.’

Member @rehandra experienced this change firsthand: ‘I could not believe the size of the last pack (and it is definitely the last pack I will purchase). I showed my husband the size of the biscuit and he burst out laughing. They are so small now.’

Member @StarTrekker said: ‘Daughter and I said that there must be something wrong with their machine. It is not pushing them together properly. Maybe they are trying to save on power bills by reducing the time the biscuits are under pressure.’

Meanwhile, some members took a humorous approach. Member @Pat T said: ‘Maybe they’re aiming for “low calorie”.’

That certainly had us laughing!

In response to Arnott’s Quality Director, Rachael Miller, claiming ‘Monte Carlo has not changed in recent years,’ member @Marj53 countered: ‘Saying they have not changed is an outright "porky". Arnott’s biscuits have definitely shrunk. I like orange slices and even these have a thinner biscuit than before. Maybe Arnott’s will say it is our eyes that have shrunk with age.’

But Arnott’s held their ground. ‘Similar to baking at home, there can be slight variations within an acceptable range. Each pack is weighed to ensure it meets the weight on the pack,’ Miller added.

So there was only one thing to be done… The SDC team went out to purchase a pack of Monte Carlo biscuits (purely for investigative journalism purposes, of course).

Here’s what we found.

Firstly, this pack was purchased from a Coles store in Sydney. The best-before date is February 2024, which we hoped suggested it was a recently manufactured batch.

photo (16) (1).jpg
Image Credit: SDC

Now, for the moment of truth…

photo 1 (3) (1).jpg

Everything seemed to be… perfectly normal. In other words, a standard pack that we’ve all known and loved over the years.

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 11.42.33 am.png
Image Credit: @jacquifelgate/Instagram (left) & SDC (right)

In my unqualified but biscuit-loving opinion, it seems like the biscuit on the left may not have been pressed down enough to spread the filling. The SDC biscuit on the right looked to have a thinner spread of filling that covered more area. Though, it certainly seems like our pack still had more filling overall.

I can’t remember even eating a Monte Carlo until today (sacrilegious, I know), so I can’t speak to whether this is usual or not. However, someone on our team is a self-confessed Monte Carlo expert.

Maddie gave us the rundown as she strangely twisted the biscuit in half.

‘We could have just gotten a good pack although, as a Monte Carlo lover and as someone who always opens it like this [image below], it looks pretty normal to me and I can confirm that things are good.’ said Maddie.

IMG_3287 (1).jpg

Did we get lucky? Was the report earlier this week a once-off? Is this truly a ‘horror’ scenario for biscuit and cuppa lovers across the country? Only time will tell. ;) But, if Maddie is to be believed, things may just be okay… for now at least.

We recognise that buying one pack isn’t an accurate sample size but have mercy on us; we can only eat so many biscuits…

One thing we do know for certain is that they still taste fantastic!

So, members, if you purchase a pack of Arnott’s Monte Carlos anytime soon, be sure to let us know what the batch looks like!

Why not even have a cuppa while you’re at it? It’s in the name of journalism, after all. ;)

Sponsored
Recently, we wrote about a ‘horrific’ change to the beloved Arnott’s Monte Carlo biscuit that had shoppers in a disappointed frenzy. (@Zemo, @ShannyN, @Big M know what we’re talking about ;) ). You can read more about that here.

SDC members, understandably, had a lot to say about the potential shrinking of the cream and jam swirl inside this classic biscuit.

Member @Jen77au offered some interesting insider insights: ‘Arnotts was my first ever job at 16! That was in the 1990s. I can definitely say that the Monte Carlo biscuit has definitely been affected by shrinkflation! The jam and cream filling were supposed to cover the majority of the inside, with small gaps on either side, according to quality control. If something like this had been produced back then, it would have been classed as a “reject” and been removed from selling to the public.’

Member @rehandra experienced this change firsthand: ‘I could not believe the size of the last pack (and it is definitely the last pack I will purchase). I showed my husband the size of the biscuit and he burst out laughing. They are so small now.’

Member @StarTrekker said: ‘Daughter and I said that there must be something wrong with their machine. It is not pushing them together properly. Maybe they are trying to save on power bills by reducing the time the biscuits are under pressure.’

Meanwhile, some members took a humorous approach. Member @Pat T said: ‘Maybe they’re aiming for “low calorie”.’

In response to Arnott’s Quality Director, Rachael Miller, claiming ‘Monte Carlo has not changed in recent years,’ member @Marj53 countered: ‘Saying they have not changed is an outright "porky". Arnott’s biscuits have definitely shrunk. I like orange slices and even these have a thinner biscuit than before. Maybe Arnott’s will say it is our eyes that have shrunk with age.’

But Arnott’s held their ground. ‘Similar to baking at home, there can be slight variations within an acceptable range. Each pack is weighed to ensure it meets the weight on the pack,’ Miller added.

So there was only one thing to be done… The SDC team went out to purchase a pack of Monte Carlo biscuits (purely for investigative journalism purposes, of course).

Here’s what we found.

Firstly, this pack was purchased from a Coles store in Sydney. The best-before date is February 2024, which we hoped suggested it was a recently manufactured batch.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

Everything seemed to be… perfectly normal. In other words, a standard pack that we’ve all known and loved over the years.

View attachment 27123

In my unqualified but biscuit-loving opinion, it seems like the biscuit on the left may not have been pressed down enough to spread the filling. The SDC biscuit on the right looked to have a thinner spread of filling that covered more area. Though, it certainly seems like our pack still had more filling overall.

I can’t remember even eating a Monte Carlo until today (sacrilegious, I know), so I can’t speak to whether this is usual or not. However, someone on our team is a self-confessed Monte Carlo expert.

‘We could have just gotten a good pack although, as a Monte Carlo lover and as someone who always opens it like this [image below], it looks pretty normal to me and I can confirm that things are good.’ said Maddie.

View attachment 27124

Did we get lucky? Was the report earlier this week a once-off? Is this truly a ‘horror’ scenario for biscuit and cuppa lovers across the country? Only time will tell. ;) But, if Maddie is to be believed, things may just be okay… for now at least.

We recognise that buying one pack isn’t an accurate sample size but have mercy on us; we can only eat so many biscuits…

One thing we do know for certain is that they still taste fantastic

So, members, if you purchase a pack of Arnott’s Monte Carlos anytime soon, be sure to let us know what the batch looks like!

Why not even have a cuppa while you’re at it? It’s in the name of journalism, after all. ;)
We found that Arnott Venetian cookies have also shrunk in size !!

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

1691737890481.png

Reactions: joany

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

I have noticed quite a few biscuits are smaller in size.....whatever you buy...thank goodness can't make fruit SMALLER 😂

Reactions: Ezzy and janj

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

It's not just the Monte Carlos but I think most bikkies. I bought a packet of Aldi Topz (otherwise Ritz) and found that not only had the box shrunk but the bikkie is thinner. I checked Ritz and yep it has shrunk too. Do they think that just because there are 3 rolls of bikkies that we are stupid and wouldn't notice?

Reactions: Ezzy
I purchased my usual box of 3 Ritz Crackers.
About to entertain, I had 1 of a former pack of 3 next to a pack out of the current purchase. Oh the humanity!!
Not only is the cracker a tiny bit smaller, the pack has also shrunk in quantity by at least 8 crackers. The price of the 3 pack also increased.
These were crackers we always put on the table when my mum was here. She would not have been impressed. This feels like a dark cloud on her memory.

We found that Arnott Venetian cookies have also shrunk in size !!
Have you looked at the mixed creams family pack from Arnotts? = All the biscuits are much smaller - not just the individual packets, but priced higher. What do Arnotts say about this?

Reactions: Ezzy

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

I wish my arse would shrink as fast these products!!!!

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

Here’s what we found.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27123

View attachment 27124

375 VS 500 STILL $4.75

Attachments

• 20230902_122218.jpg
    20230902_122218.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
In Western Australia we had a company named W.A. SALVAGE whose motto was:- 'WE'RE NOT FANCY, BUT WE'RE CHEAP'.

Perhaps biscuit manufacturers & any other company guilty of shrinkflation could have as their motto:-'WE'RE CHEAP, BUT WE'RE NOT FANCY'?