Hardware store implements new security measures following major cyberattack

In an age where personal information is as valuable as currency, the security of our online transactions is paramount.

The recent announcement that Total Tools, a popular hardware chain, has suffered a significant cyber incident, potentially putting the personal details of 38,000 customers at risk, has brought home this lesson to thousands of Australians.

Total Tools Chief Executive Richard Murray confirmed the breach, shocking the retail industry.

The compromised data includes customer names, email addresses, Total Tools passwords, mobile numbers, shipping addresses, and credit card details of customers who recently shopped or registered on the company's website.

1726798866561.png
Total Tools faces a 'cyber incident' that led to a data leak affecting 38,000 customers. Credit: Shutterstock

This incident reminds us of the vulnerability of digital systems and the sophistication of cybercriminals constantly finding new ways to exploit them.

It raises serious questions about companies' security measures to protect their customers' information and the potential consequences of such breaches.

The company has taken immediate action to secure its website and investigate the breach, with Murray assuring customers that they believe the cause of the leak has been removed.

'The data that has been illegally compromised includes customer name, email address, Total Tools password, mobile number, shipping address, and credit card details of customers who shopped or registered on our website recently,' he stated.

In response to the breach, Total Tools has contacted impacted customers with recommendations on protecting themselves from potential misuse of their information.

The company has also implemented additional cybersecurity measures to reduce the likelihood of future incidents and reported the breach to the Australian Cyber Security Centre and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

The incident at Total Tools is part of a larger trend as cyberattacks become increasingly common.

A new report has revealed that Australia recorded the highest number of data breaches in over three years, with 527 reported from January to June.

This figure represents a nine per cent increase from the previous six months and is the highest reported since the second half of 2020.

For our readers, particularly those who may have shopped at Total Tools, it's crucial to take proactive steps to protect your personal information.

This includes changing passwords, monitoring bank statements for unusual activity, and being vigilant against phishing attempts that may use the stolen data.

In other news, Russian hackers have breached ZircoDATA, a data firm associated with more than 200 Australian companies and government agencies, leaking sensitive documents.

As a result of the cyberattack, personal information belonging to tens of thousands of Australians has been auctioned on the dark web. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Popular hardware chain Total Tools has been affected by a 'cyber incident' resulting in a data leak of 38,000 customers.
  • The leaked data includes names, email addresses, credit card details, and other customers' personal information.
  • Immediate steps were taken to secure the website, and additional cybersecurity measures have been implemented to prevent future occurrences.
  • Total Tools is working with cybersecurity experts, has informed the Australian Cyber Security Centre and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, and is communicating with the impacted customers to recommend precautions to safeguard their information.
Have you been affected by the Total Tools cyber incident, or do you have concerns about online security? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Cheezil
Sponsored
Ffs these things are happening way too often, Australia is the softest target for scammers & the law, banks, big business are doing sweet f.a all to protect us.

They (court system) are more interested in protecting criminals, murderers thieves etc whilst stinging victims & common low income hard working people big bucks for traffic offences & pettier breaches than the big serious stuff! World is gone crazy mad!

Another day, another companies customer details hacked. Seems to be an everyday problem, it is a wonder any of us have any faith in any business. We are being encouraged to pay everything by card, one would think there must be a way for companies to protect customer details, if not they shouldn’t be in business. Hubby ordered some bolts from a business for delivery, they didn’t have them in stock but asked him for his card details so they could. Process the payment and post them when they got them. I spoke to them and refused to give them the card details, I told them when they got the stock to ring me and I would pay over the phone, on condition they processed the payment straight into the eftpos machine, they said they don’t do that, they write customers card details down on a piece of paper and process the sale later. That’s what their manager told them to do. I asked to talk to the manager and pointed out to him it was unethical and probably illegal to record customers card details on pieces of paper for use later, and how did they know they processed the right sale to the right card details, and how could they guarantee the card details wouldn’t be stolen by a member of staff, or a delivery person, even another customer in the shop if the paper was left on the counter. He was so flustered he didnt know how to respond. I told him when hubbys bolts arrived they could facetime me and while I was watching I would give them card details to process straight into eftpos machine to pay. Or no sale, I would shop elsewhere. As it was a substantial order he agreed and that is what happened.

Reactions: Hollingworthlake
No I know nothing of Total Tools but it is very confusing to be told recently of all the breaches of confidentiality these concerns are having. Only the other day I got something from a company and I had to call my financial advisor to find out whethet there was any risk in communicating with them. As it turned out there wasn’t but very irritating and time consuming to have to do this. It’s about time more responsibility was taken by government/banks etc for hoaxes as is the case I believe in other countries.

Reactions: IAN3005 and Cheezil
No I know nothing of Total Tools but it is very confusing to be told recently of all the breaches of confidentiality these concerns are having. Only the other day I got something from a company and I had to call my financial advisor to find out whethet there was any risk in communicating with them. As it turned out there wasn’t but very irritating and time consuming to have to do this. It’s about time more responsibility was taken by government/banks etc for hoaxes as is the case I believe in other countries.
I haven’t been very clear on that but there should be more backup for people who have been hacked my law makers and others to stop the hackers getting away with it so often

Reactions: Cheezil
My golden rule is to ignore ALL correspondence, whether it be by phone, email or traditional postage, asking you to purchase a product or service.

If I want a product or service, I will seek out such myself and not be conned by some electronic version of a door to door salesman.

Reactions: IAN3005
My golden rule is to ignore ALL correspondence, whether it be by phone, email or traditional postage, asking you to purchase a product or service.

If I want a product or service, I will seek out such myself and not be conned by some electronic version of a door to door salesman.
Same here.....

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Total Tools is a very appropriate name for a company with such loose security. I mean, why would they retain a customer’s credit card details AFTER having made a transaction?
Do you complain about supermarkets recording your every movement? How long do they retain your image that they procured WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION!

Maybe you should think about these aspects of the constant surveillance of the retail sector before criticising a business, which in all probability, you have never had dealings with.

Reactions: IAN3005
Do you complain about supermarkets recording your every movement? How long do they retain your image that they procured WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION!

Maybe you should think about these aspects of the constant surveillance of the retail sector before criticising a business, which in all probability, you have never had dealings with.
That is why I use CASH.

Reactions: Veggiepatch