Hanging laundry outside to dry

449652755_789041746750550_8158369160970777518_n.jpg
Credit: Michael Cuschieri / Facebook

Remember the method of hanging laundry outside to dry? With nothing but the fresh breeze and the warm sun, this simple yet effective way makes our laundry smell so good when it's finally taken down!

Do you have any good stories about it? Share your memorable stories here!

Reactions: NotNats
Sponsored
We had two parallel wire lines across our back yard about one and a half metres apart. I can still see Mum with a mouthful of wooden pegs hanging out the clothes. We didn't have a lot of money so Mum would hang the end of one item with the start of the next item with one peg. Because the lines were so long across the yard there was a fair bit of sag in the middle. A man used to come around singing out "clothes props" so we bought two props, which were branch of trees with a fork in the end, and used them to hold up the lines in the middle.

We had two parallel wire lines across our back yard about one and a half metres apart. I can still see Mum with a mouthful of wooden pegs hanging out the clothes. We didn't have a lot of money so Mum would hang the end of one item with the start of the next item with one peg. Because the lines were so long across the yard there was a fair bit of sag in the middle. A man used to come around singing out "clothes props" so we bought two props, which were branch of trees with a fork in the end, and used them to hold up the lines in the middle.
Reminds me of my mum & the process of hanging out the washing on the very long lines. I think the clothes dried quicker than on our modern rotary ones. All was well until the prop collapsed or a wire came away from where it was attached. We didn’t have to buy props as we lived on a farm so dad would go & find another one. I still hang out the washing, weather allowing. I used to enjoy seeing a line full of very white nappies drying in the breeze over 40 years ago. How times have changed.

Reactions: Gunpark and Gsr
Always hang washing on the line if the weather allows it. Nothing better than the smell of freshly dried washing as it is taken off the line. Love the smell of my sheets and pillowcases after line drying them. I have a dryer but rarely use it, I just put washing on airer in rumpus room for a couple of days and put fan on above it. Usually dry the morning after putting there, especially in winter as we run our air conditioner for a couple of hours morning and night when really cold. I well remember the wire across the yard with clothes props holding them up, the wooden dolly pegs in the old peg tin, usually a recycled biscuit tin. Such great memories from my childhood.

Ah...I remember it well.

Remember my mother hanging clothes on a line, that was two long lines with wooden posts either end with wooden props in the centre.

I always hang the washing on the line, weather permitting permitting. Very seldom use the dryer.

Always hang washing on the line if the weather allows it. Nothing better than the smell of freshly dried washing as it is taken off the line. Love the smell of my sheets and pillowcases after line drying them. I have a dryer but rarely use it, I just put washing on airer in rumpus room for a couple of days and put fan on above it. Usually dry the morning after putting there, especially in winter as we run our air conditioner for a couple of hours morning and night when really cold. I well remember the wire across the yard with clothes props holding them up, the wooden dolly pegs in the old peg tin, usually a recycled biscuit tin. Such great memories from my childhood.
I use stainless steel pegs now, no staining.