Corinasara

Apr 23, 2023
Hacked

Recently I was doing my usual on the computer mornings, when a large message with a black microsoft defender symbol popped up telling me 15 people from around the world where trying to hack into my computer.

They popped up a list of 15 people from around the world and I asked my son what I should do, as the computer was frozen. There was a number in red I should phone.

After fretting about it for some time, I phoned the number and got a man who identified himself as a Microsoft technician, and they would help me. They kept me on the phone all, day back and forth, every now and then telling me to check my bank to see nothing had changed. I should not phone my bank because these people were listening and could use whatever I said for their purpose of extracting money fraudulently from me. They said they were trying to catch these guys and to stay vigilent and just do what they said.

Naturally, I was panicking. Each time I went into my account I would tell them if anything had changed in my account. Thankfully it hadn't. The male voices were Indian accented and the number I phoned was an Australian number beginning with 07, so Queensland.

Anyway evening came and they said very kindly that I must be very tired, so go to bed and sleep, they would keep a watch, and I should phone Charlie in the morning on the number they had given. I thanked them for their vigilence (they must have stuffed a sock in their mouths to stop from laughing).

Next morning I phoned Mr Charlie and we began again trying to catch these thieves. By afternoon I felt that I had to do something else, as we were in a state of total anxiety and it seemed not getting anywhere. They had done a good job of terrifying us into not ringing the bank, as these hackers were listening and watching my computer strokes.

I had had enough, and while my son was talking to them, I phoned my bank and got through to the fraud section.

Charlie anxiously asked my son 'you're not phoning your bank are you. I got through to the fraud section, and after identifying me they told me there was some strange activity on my account had put a stop onto it.

Suddenly Charlie had hung up on my son and it dawned on us that they in fact were the hackers, and we were taken in by it all. They had managed to transfer quite a large sum from my savings to my transaction acc., and were waiting for the final information to extract the amount for themselves.

I was shocked that we were gullible enough for it to have gone that far. I then had to have my computer cleaned and a fail safe defence system put on it. Cost me $340 for this, and no access to my accounts for days. I had to show the bank that I had the computer cleaned. I am still waiting on my credit card.

Do not phone any number if your computer is frozen. Phone your bank straight away and tell them about the locked computer and the instructions you had been given to unlock it.

Tell them that you are phoning your bank and that you will give the number to the bank, just for your peace of mind. If they hang up, you know you are speaking to the hackers.

They were using a remote access to watch my keystrokes and manipulating my accounts. Turn the tables on them and get someone to alert the bank whilst you are talking to them.

Thankfully they didn't get anything from me, however they were close to getting a large sum of money from me. Be vigilent, and ensure you have the strongest safety for your phones and computers. Take care, Coralie.

I have had that exact same thing happen. Years ago. My advice 'crash the computer'. That is, immediately pull the plug or switch off at the power point. Trust me it works.

What has surprised me though is, that you were not aware that the bulk of these scammers are Indian. It seems that you have been lucky enough not to get 'hit' until now.

If anyone tries to get into your computer telling you that there is a problem with it and they will help you, whatever you do do NOT push any buttons they suggest pushing. They will tell you not to turn off your computer - so obviously this is what you MUST DO. Turn off your computer everywhere - even at the wall connection. Shut everything down and this will stuff them up!!! Got this good advice from a very smart computer person!!! and it works every time!!!

I had someone call me about an issue like this over 15 years ago. Said they were from Microsoft etc,etc. Because I didn't know much about computers back then, and my husband was very switched on (he had done IT studies at Uni). I kept saying I didn't want to do anything without him checking. They started to get pushy with the urgency. I closed the computer and said 'I'll get him to check when he gets home '. They hung up.
Funny though, I've never had it happen again, so I figured they had given up on this type of ruse.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Thanks so much for sharing your story, Coralie @Corinasara. I'm glad they didn't succeed!

It's quite scary though how they had a number from your home state. How can they make it appear that they're phoning in from Aus? Thank heavens the accents are a dead giveaway, but still...

Reactions: Revo
If anyone tries to get into your computer telling you that there is a problem with it and they will help you, whatever you do do NOT push any buttons they suggest pushing. They will tell you not to turn off your computer - so obviously this is what you MUST DO. Turn off your computer everywhere - even at the wall connection. Shut everything down and this will stuff them up!!! Got this good advice from a very smart computer person!!! and it works every time!!!
Spot on. I had this happen to me all the bells and whistles when off when I clicked a link in a story on a feed that came in. Rang my friend and she told me exactly what you said. Turn the lot off and leave for a few mins and it clears it all up. A lady down the road from me got in all sorts of trouble by not doing this and ended up going and buying a completely unnecessary computer.

Spot on. I had this happen to me all the bells and whistles when off when I clicked a link in a story on a feed that came in. Rang my friend and she told me exactly what you said. Turn the lot off and leave for a few mins and it clears it all up. A lady down the road from me got in all sorts of trouble by not doing this and ended up going and buying a completely unnecessary computer.
Sometimes we feel like we could do with a lot less scam stories, but comments like these are why we persist. Even just one person remembering something they read about scams is already a huge win against these nasty criminals!

I've had similar happen several times, I never respond, but have found Ctrl-Alt-Del always gets me to task manager so I can just turn all active programs off, then reboot.