SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Growing up in the '60s and '70s...

Hey members! :) Our dear member @Balwyngirl sent this to us and I thought we should share it with you all.

312658563_8172484919488966_312441498376151483_n.jpg
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

'When I was growing up, in the '60s and '70s, life was so much simpler then. We could play cricket in the summer on the road without seeing hardly any cars! Today, the same street is so busy. Mum stayed home and looked after her 5 children while dad went to work. I don't remember ever coming home from school to an empty house. I feel so fortunate for this as I had a couple of friends who had both parents working. Mum was a wonderful cook and could make marvellous meals for the seven of us out of seemingly nothing. We always sat down to meals as a family. Sunday lunch was always home-cooked roast chicken and one chicken was enough to feed the seven of us! My mum was a great seamstress and made all the dresses for my sisters and myself. Dad had a beautiful veggie garden out the back so we always had fresh veggies and fruit. In summer, when all the pears and peaches were in season, out would come the gear to bottle and preserve the fruit. I remember the milkman coming around with his clydesdale horse to deliver our bottles of milk. He delivered at the same time every morning, at 3am, so if my older brothers weren't home by the time the milky came, then there would be big trouble!!! Later that morning, around 7-8 am, the baker would come with fresh bread and buns. Ahhh, the beautiful aroma of freshly cooked bread! We were taught gratitude for the small and large things in life. We were taught respect for our elders. Above all, we were shown love and made to feel loved by our parents and other family members. They were wonderful times.'

Growing up in the '60s and '70s...

Hey members! :) Our dear member @Balwyngirl sent this to us and I thought we should share it with you all.

View attachment 12153
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

'When I was growing up, in the '60s and '70s, life was so much simpler then. We could play cricket in the summer on the road without seeing hardly any cars! Today, the same street is so busy. Mum stayed home and looked after her 5 children while dad went to work. I don't remember ever coming home from school to an empty house. I feel so fortunate for this as I had a couple of friends who had both parents working. Mum was a wonderful cook and could make marvellous meals for the seven of us out of seemingly nothing. We always sat down to meals as a family. Sunday lunch was always home-cooked roast chicken and one chicken was enough to feed the seven of us! My mum was a great seamstress and made all the dresses for my sisters and myself. Dad had a beautiful veggie garden out the back so we always had fresh veggies and fruit. In summer, when all the pears and peaches were in season, out would come the gear to bottle and preserve the fruit. I remember the milkman coming around with his clydesdale horse to deliver our bottles of milk. He delivered at the same time every morning, at 3am, so if my older brothers weren't home by the time the milky came, then there would be big trouble!!! Later that morning, around 7-8 am, the baker would come with fresh bread and buns. Ahhh, the beautiful aroma of freshly cooked bread! We were taught gratitude for the small and large things in life. We were taught respect for our elders. Above all, we were shown love and made to feel loved by our parents and other family members. They were wonderful times.'
Exactly a different time to today's mess loved my childhood care free 👍