Gross! You won't believe what this Aussie mum found after going 4 days without cleaning her coffee machine

Ah, the art of time management! Our lives seem so much smoother when we manage our days with precision — from weekly meal-prepping and planning to do our house chores before the weekend rolls in, everything seems to be in perfect harmony when we follow a specific schedule.

But, who can blame us for not always having a neatly fixed schedule? After all, we aren't superheroes! Life will still be busy at times despite our best efforts.

That being said, some of us may just have to learn to take the time to look after our home and all its appliances, otherwise, we may be welcoming some unwanted guests.

One Sydney mum recently found this out the hard way when she returned home after a four-day holiday, only to find that her coffee machine had unwittingly invited in some maggots.

Taking to Facebook to ask for advice, the woman revealed that she had come home to find maggots breeding in the puddle of water that had collected in her machine's drip tray.

pexels-photo-912901.jpeg

An Aussie mum was shocked to find maggots infesting her coffee machine. Credit: Pexels/Dominika Roseclay.

'This is proper gross,' the mum posted in the cleaning advice group.

'We didn't empty the coffee machine drip tray before going away for 4 days. Upon return, there were maggots in the water.'

Surprisingly, many users were unfazed by her discovery, recommending that she ‘leave the maggots be’.

‘As gross as it is, wait for them to turn into flies and they will crawl out,’ one woman advised the mum.

‘I wouldn’t worry, to be honest. Flush some hot water through before drinking it, but the maggots would only be in and around the dirty water tray,' chimed another.

'In a day or two, any larvae you haven’t found yet will have either died or grown into flies anyway.'

4f2cfec9076997d31994ffecc318dfed

The woman claimed she could still see maggots in the 'hard-to-reach' areas of the machine. Credit: Facebook.

According to Medical News Today, accidentally ingesting maggots is fortunately not something we should be too worried about (easier said than done!). However, to avoid bacterial poisoning, one should avoid consuming food that has been infested with maggots since flies can transmit the dangerous bacteria they carry to their eggs.

There are several effective solutions to get rid of maggots quickly and efficiently - the most effective way is to pour boiling water over the infested area. Boiling water is usually sufficient to kill them and their eggs, but if the maggot infestation is particularly bad, you can use a bleach or lime-juice and salt mixture to ensure they are eliminated.

Other remedies for maggot infestation include regular cleaning and descaling of your coffee machine - this will help to prevent any maggot infestations and help to keep your home healthy and safe.

While these treatments are a great way to get rid of maggots, it is also important to remember and practice good hygiene habits around the home.

6218b3f15775ee07b885b5b4794ede30

While unpleasant to look at, maggots are generally not harmful as long as you don't consume any food that has come in contact with them. Credit: Facebook.

Speaking of the difficulties of getting rid of maggots and other pests, other users took the opportunity to share their fair share of 'horror stories' about discovering insects in their homes.

One person recalled: 'I went to change the filter in my coffee machine and opened the back compartment to find a floating cockroach.'

'So we had been drinking roach juice in our coffee for who knows how long!'

Another added: 'I had a maggot in the little viewing window of my bread machine for 20 years until it died (the machine that is!).'

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney mum found maggots breeding in her coffee machine after returning from a four-day trip.
  • Despite the unpleasant discovery, many assured the mum the maggots were harmless.
  • In some cases, maggots can cause health complications if ingested, so it is important to clean the machine regularly.
  • Others shared their own horror stories, with one revealing she’d found a “floating cockroach” in her own coffee machine.

So, members, as much as it can be a hassle, make sure that you’re religiously emptying the drip tray every week and giving your machine a good deep clean regularly. If you do encounter some unwelcome 'guests' in your coffee machine, we recommend the following cleaning tips:

1. Start by wiping down the outside of the coffee maker with a damp dishcloth.

2. Use a toothpick to clear away any debris from the edges of the lid and from between outside buttons.

3. Take out all removable parts and pieces, such as the carafe, filter and filter basket, and submerge them in warm water with a drop of dishwashing liquid (unless the appliance manual advises otherwise).

4. Mix 25 per cent vinegar and 75 per cent water, then pour it into the water reservoir. Put the carafe under the spout and run the solution through.

5. Empty the vinegar solution and then fill the reservoir with fresh water. Run the fresh water through the machine until it comes out clean.

Folks, this serves as an important reminder to stay on top of the small hygiene tasks around the house!

Stay safe out there! Also, if you have any similar stories or tips of your own, then please let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Oh my goodness, don't people clean out their machines regularly. 🙄
I no longer use a coffee machine but when I did I emptied it daily and gave it a good clean twice a week.

Maggots came because flys laid lava and flies only do this if there is food or signs of food. There must have been coffee left in the machine or drip tray.

I Wonder if she cleans other items eg toaster regularly 🤔

She had the thing in the window of her bread-making machine for 20 years. Was it a he maggot or a she maggot? Did she give it a name -- Mick or Maggie? Was she so lonely this was her only companion? Did she feel sorry for it? Did she bid it a good morning or a good night every day?

She had the thing in the window of her bread-making machine for 20 years. Was it a he maggot or a she maggot? Did she give it a name -- Mick or Maggie? Was she so lonely this was her only companion? Did she feel sorry for it? Did she bid it a good morning or a good night every day?
🤣 that was just too gross, how could anyone leave it there. I would have actually thrown it away

Ah, the art of time management! Our lives seem so much smoother when we manage our days with precision — from weekly meal-prepping and planning to do our house chores before the weekend rolls in, everything seems to be in perfect harmony when we follow a specific schedule.

But, who can blame us for not always having a neatly fixed schedule? After all, we aren't superheroes! Life will still be busy at times despite our best efforts.

That being said, some of us may just have to learn to take the time to look after our home and all its appliances, otherwise, we may be welcoming some unwanted guests.

One Sydney mum recently found this out the hard way when she returned home after a four-day holiday, only to find that her coffee machine had unwittingly invited in some maggots.

Taking to Facebook to ask for advice, the woman revealed that she had come home to find maggots breeding in the puddle of water that had collected in her machine's drip tray.

pexels-photo-912901.jpeg

An Aussie mum was shocked to find maggots infesting her coffee machine. Credit: Pexels/Dominika Roseclay.

'We didn't empty the coffee machine drip tray before going away for 4 days. Upon return, there were maggots in the water.'

Surprisingly, many users were unfazed by her discovery, recommending that she ‘leave the maggots be’.

‘As gross as it is, wait for them to turn into flies and they will crawl out,’ one woman advised the mum.

‘I wouldn’t worry, to be honest. Flush some hot water through before drinking it, but the maggots would only be in and around the dirty water tray,' chimed another.

'In a day or two, any larvae you haven’t found yet will have either died or grown into flies anyway.'

The woman claimed she could still see maggots in the 'hard-to-reach' areas of the machine. Credit: Facebook.

According to Medical News Today, accidentally ingesting maggots is fortunately not something we should be too worried about (easier said than done!). However, to avoid bacterial poisoning, one should avoid consuming food that has been infested with maggots since flies can transmit the dangerous bacteria they carry to their eggs.

There are several effective solutions to get rid of maggots quickly and efficiently - the most effective way is to pour boiling water over the infested area. Boiling water is usually sufficient to kill them and their eggs, but if the maggot infestation is particularly bad, you can use a bleach or lime-juice and salt mixture to ensure they are eliminated.

Other remedies for maggot infestation include regular cleaning and descaling of your coffee machine - this will help to prevent any maggot infestations and help to keep your home healthy and safe.

While these treatments are a great way to get rid of maggots, it is also important to remember and practice good hygiene habits around the home.

While unpleasant to look at, maggots are generally not harmful as long as you don't consume any food that has come in contact with them. Credit: Facebook.

Speaking of the difficulties of getting rid of maggots and other pests, other users took the opportunity to share their fair share of 'horror stories' about discovering insects in their homes.

One person recalled: 'I went to change the filter in my coffee machine and opened the back compartment to find a floating cockroach.'

Another added: 'I had a maggot in the little viewing window of my bread machine for 20 years until it died (the machine that is!).'

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney mum found maggots breeding in her coffee machine after returning from a four-day trip.
  • Despite the unpleasant discovery, many assured the mum the maggots were harmless.
  • In some cases, maggots can cause health complications if ingested, so it is important to clean the machine regularly.
  • Others shared their own horror stories, with one revealing she’d found a “floating cockroach” in her own coffee machine.

So, members, as much as it can be a hassle, make sure that you’re religiously emptying the drip tray every week and giving your machine a good deep clean regularly. If you do encounter some unwelcome 'guests' in your coffee machine, we recommend the following cleaning tips:

2. Use a toothpick to clear away any debris from the edges of the lid and from between outside buttons.

3. Take out all removable parts and pieces, such as the carafe, filter and filter basket, and submerge them in warm water with a drop of dishwashing liquid (unless the appliance manual advises otherwise).

4. Mix 25 per cent vinegar and 75 per cent water, then pour it into the water reservoir. Put the carafe under the spout and run the solution through.

5. Empty the vinegar solution and then fill the reservoir with fresh water. Run the fresh water through the machine until it comes out clean.

Folks, this serves as an important reminder to stay on top of the small hygiene tasks around the house!

Stay safe out there! Also, if you have any similar stories or tips of your own, then please let us know in the comments below!
Had the same thing happen to me once, yuk, I just stripped the machine down cleaned it all and all was good...bit of a worry when you see it though.
It happens everywhere at times, you just don't see it.

Last edited:

pexels-photo-912901.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Is there something wrong with me? I clean my coffee machine drip tray every time I make coffee.

pexels-photo-912901.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I once had a coffee machine inhabited by cockroaches! They were searching for water and the warmth. Once cleaned out a ring of salt around the machine and skirting boards soo eliminated them from the kitchen.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Is there something wrong with me? I clean my coffee machine drip tray every time I make coffee.
Me too. Then weekly clean the water tank where the coffee pods go. For me it beggars belief that when you know full well that most machines have a wee dribble so you naturally clean it up. Or don't you hmm 🤔🤨🙃

Oh my goodness, don't people clean out their machines regularly. 🙄
I no longer use a coffee machine but when I did I emptied it daily and gave it a good clean twice a week.

Maggots came because flys laid lava and flies only do this if there is food or signs of food. There must have been coffee left in the machine or drip tray.

I Wonder if she cleans other items eg toaster regularly 🤔
No body is that busy you can't maintain a small coffee machine or dripolator or even a pod machine. 😉 🙃😋

Reactions: Tervueren
Oh YUK. How gross. Can't wait to use The Nescafe tubes because my mind will now be forever on coffee machines associated with "you know what." Maybe I should clear my mind & drink tea from now on. Truly, I won't get this out of my mind for months.

Reactions: Ezzy
I am constantly amazed at folks being put off by naturally occurring phenomenon by misleading misconceptions. . Maggots, rather than flies, are inherently healthy and clean. Observations from WWI was that maggots would only eat dead flesh. Thus to treat wounds in modern medicine maggots are used to remove dead flesh. This has proved effective in treating wounds where antibiotics have failed.

if you want a clean coffee machine invest in a Jura. The machine will have you empty the grounds and refill the water container regularly. Then there is the cleaning cycle using proprietary chemicals to remove scale and fats.

of course you won’t have the convenience of those awful pods. The quality of the coffee is so bad you may as well use instant coffee.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren