'Gross' requests from Airbnb owners revealed by cleaner

For many, the joy of travelling is partly enjoying the comfort of an accommodation maintained to a high cleanliness standard.

A clean and refreshing lodging encapsulates the essence of a well-deserved holiday or an effective business trip.

In today's interconnected world, many travellers are opting for Airbnb as a preferred choice of accommodation as many of the options offer a unique, local experience that often feels more personalised than a standard hotel.

However, a disquieting revelation from a Western Australian cleaning business owner may cause travellers to rethink their choice of stay.

Jason Shipway, owner of cleaning service Enhanced Cleaning, has recently thrown a giant wrench into the seemingly stainless image of Airbnb accommodations.

'The day before we were supposed to send one of our teams in, we got an email from the management company,' Shipway shared.

'In this email, they informed us that they have a procedure they'd like us to follow in order to save money on turnover times.’

‘The more I read this email, the more horrified I became.'

According to Shipway, the 'unsettling' and 'gross' requests came from an unnamed firm that manages numerous Airbnb properties in Western Australia.

SDC 26.png
An owner of a cleaning company revealed the ‘gross’ requests from a company that manages multiple Airbnbs in WA. Image source: Freepik.

The shocking requests centred primarily on cutting corners on cleanliness to save money.

Shipway alleged that the said company requested him to limit washing of bedding after every stay, reuse towels that didn't seem 'soiled or stained', and not to bother washing dishes that weren't 'obviously' used.

'Every second clean... they just wanted us to take the linen off, flip it around so that the top was now at the bottom in order to make it look like they were cleaner,' he added.

'They also said they'd supply us with a little spray bottle that we could spray on the sheets to make them less crinkly, to appear like they hadn't been used by the previous guests.'

Similarly, towels that previous guests might have re-used were expected to be neatly folded back as if freshly laundered. The same plain-view concept of cleanliness extended to dishes, too.

'They told us towels that don't look dirty can be put back on the beds and in the cupboards.'

'They basically said any dishes leftover in the sink or in the dishwasher that had been used but didn't look dirty, could just be put back in the drawers for the next guest as well.'

'They said only to spot vacuum and spot mop floors where it looked like there were footprints. They just told us to clean where it was very obvious that there was dirt and fingerprints, and stuff like that.'

The unnamed company reportedly manages between 50 and 60 properties, renting between $200 to $500 per night and charging additional cleaning fees.

Concerningly, the practice, Shipway claimed, was 'the standard in the Airbnb space'.

Although it’s fair to point out that not all Airbnb properties are managed similarly, Shipway's personal experience does serve as an eye-opener.

Shipway said: 'Most Airbnbs really do lag behind hotels, and it's because of greedy people like this.'

'They just want to make that little bit of extra money from the stay, and so they sacrifice on cleaning big time.'

He expressed his concern about this matter, saying it was 'gross and unsettling to think that the next Airbnb that you could be going to could be run like this.'

Shipway's company rejected this opportunity and has since reported the incident to Airbnb.

'We straight up told them that we don't want to be associated with this standard of cleaning, they were very unhappy with our response, but that's their problem,' he said.

This story has led to a chain of disappointed and disgruntled reactions from many users, with one saying: 'Considering the person booking pays a cleaning fee, that’s terrible.'

'Good job turning it away,' the user added.

'I’ll think twice about staying in one now,' another said.

While an Airbnb host said: 'We are super hosts and never take shortcuts.'

The hosts also shared that they have stayed in other Airbnbs and said: 'Around half were disgusting.'

In the ground rules for hosts listed on the Airbnb website, the company said: 'All listings should be clean and free of health hazards before guest check-in.'

You can see the complete list of rules below:

95FIszJsldpfBIq2x0o2RgD5Dz92dOJK3eHcgRGllqNkN3zk0e7SWUVgYHZbmmY0CxxKAIw2lVYVQy_hkdHaNTd5iflrzpOd68MpESUUOEnWGRKfsUe55prasY5at51Aqkm5Q7YDl5MsaupRrTjlwh8

You may also visit Airbnb’s website for the full list of ground rules for hosts.
Key Takeaways
  • Jason Shipway, owner of Enhanced Cleaning in Western Australia, claims they were askedto cut corners while cleaning for an unnamed company managing Airbnb rentals in the state.
  • The requests included not washing bedding after each stay to save on laundry costs, refolding towels that did not appear soiled, and avoiding washing dishes that weren't visibly used.
  • Shipway refused to accept the offer and reported the incident to Airbnb.
  • Airbnb rules state all listings should be clean and free of health hazards before guest check-in.
Members, have you stayed in an Airbnb before? How was your experience? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
For many, the joy of travelling is partly enjoying the comfort of an accommodation maintained to a high cleanliness standard.

A clean and refreshing lodging encapsulates the essence of a well-deserved holiday or an effective business trip.

In today's interconnected world, many travellers are opting for Airbnb as a preferred choice of accommodation as many of the options offer a unique, local experience that often feels more personalised than a standard hotel.

However, a disquieting revelation from a Western Australian cleaning business owner may cause travellers to rethink their choice of stay.

Jason Shipway, owner of cleaning service Enhanced Cleaning, has recently thrown a giant wrench into the seemingly stainless image of Airbnb accommodations.

'The day before we were supposed to send one of our teams in, we got an email from the management company,' Shipway shared.

'In this email, they informed us that they have a procedure they'd like us to follow in order to save money on turnover times.’

According to Shipway, the 'unsettling' and 'gross' requests came from an unnamed firm that manages numerous Airbnb properties in Western Australia.

View attachment 33740
An owner of a cleaning company revealed the ‘gross’ requests from a company that manages multiple Airbnbs in WA. Image source: Freepik.

The shocking requests centred primarily on cutting corners on cleanliness to save money.

Shipway alleged that the said company requested him to limit washing of bedding after every stay, reuse towels that didn't seem 'soiled or stained', and not to bother washing dishes that weren't 'obviously' used.

'Every second clean... they just wanted us to take the linen off, flip it around so that the top was now at the bottom in order to make it look like they were cleaner,' he added.

'They also said they'd supply us with a little spray bottle that we could spray on the sheets to make them less crinkly, to appear like they hadn't been used by the previous guests.'

Similarly, towels that previous guests might have re-used were expected to be neatly folded back as if freshly laundered. The same plain-view concept of cleanliness extended to dishes, too.

'They told us towels that don't look dirty can be put back on the beds and in the cupboards.'

'They basically said any dishes leftover in the sink or in the dishwasher that had been used but didn't look dirty, could just be put back in the drawers for the next guest as well.'

'They said only to spot vacuum and spot mop floors where it looked like there were footprints. They just told us to clean where it was very obvious that there was dirt and fingerprints, and stuff like that.'

The unnamed company reportedly manages between 50 and 60 properties, renting between $200 to $500 per night and charging additional cleaning fees.

Concerningly, the practice, Shipway claimed, was 'the standard in the Airbnb space'.

Although it’s fair to point out that not all Airbnb properties are managed similarly, Shipway's personal experience does serve as an eye-opener.

Shipway said: 'Most Airbnbs really do lag behind hotels, and it's because of greedy people like this.'

'They just want to make that little bit of extra money from the stay, and so they sacrifice on cleaning big time.'

He expressed his concern about this matter, saying it was 'gross and unsettling to think that the next Airbnb that you could be going to could be run like this.'

Shipway's company rejected this opportunity and has since reported the incident to Airbnb.

'We straight up told them that we don't want to be associated with this standard of cleaning, they were very unhappy with our response, but that's their problem,' he said.

This story has led to a chain of disappointed and disgruntled reactions from many users, with one saying: 'Considering the person booking pays a cleaning fee, that’s terrible.'

The hosts also shared that they have stayed in other Airbnbs and said: 'Around half were disgusting.'

In the ground rules for hosts listed on the Airbnb website, the company said: 'All listings should be clean and free of health hazards before guest check-in.'

95FIszJsldpfBIq2x0o2RgD5Dz92dOJK3eHcgRGllqNkN3zk0e7SWUVgYHZbmmY0CxxKAIw2lVYVQy_hkdHaNTd5iflrzpOd68MpESUUOEnWGRKfsUe55prasY5at51Aqkm5Q7YDl5MsaupRrTjlwh8

You may also visit Airbnb’s website for the full list of ground rules for hosts.
Key Takeaways

• Jason Shipway, owner of Enhanced Cleaning in Western Australia, claims they were askedto cut corners while cleaning for an unnamed company managing Airbnb rentals in the state.
  • The requests included not washing bedding after each stay to save on laundry costs, refolding towels that did not appear soiled, and avoiding washing dishes that weren't visibly used.
  • Airbnb rules state all listings should be clean and free of health hazards before guest check-in.
Members, have you stayed in an Airbnb before? How was your experience? Share them with us in the comments below!
If I go away I'll stay in a hotel/motel

View attachment 33740

Key Takeaways

I'm shocked by this, as I use bnbs occasionally. I am looking after a bnb at the moment, and it is cleaned properly between bookings. Vacuumed, bathrooms, floors mopped, surfaces wiped down. Towels are washed, beds stripped and linen washed, all used kitchen items, whether washed up or not, are run through the dishwasher. I hope the unscrupulous owners are named and shamed.

What a badly written and very biased click bait article! You site the dubious instruction of one commercial Air BnB company, but make it sound like all air bnb’s are run this way - they most certainly are not!

I have run my own Air BnB on and off for 15 years and stayed in numerous others. I have always thoroughly cleaned mine and always have revues that attest to that, my air bnb hosting friends the same. I would probably not knowingly stay in an air bnb that is operated as part of a chain, I prefer the original concept evolved from couch surfing, where you meet and interact with your hosts and guests.

This article sounds like it is written by financially unstable hotel chain worried about competition.

I have stayed at many B&B's around the world, but the worst one was in NSW Australia. There was a blood stain on the Doona, there was mould around the bottom of the shower curtain, and there was lots of crockery in the kitchen cupboards, but surrounded by lots of dust. It was also advertised that there were so many beds and rooms, but they omitted to say that they were in two different houses side by side.

Reactions: barbaranne and Ezzy

View attachment 33740

Key Takeaways

Stayed in one in Airlie Beach Qld recently. It was first class. I made sure to strip beds that we slept in and pile linen and all used towels on the bathroom floor so I expect they would have been laundered. The linen felt crisp and clean when we arrived.
We thoroughly washed all dishes and kitchen utensils in hot, soapy water then rinsed them, dried and put them away and we took care to clean the sink, stove, and counters, wipe the fridge shelves, wipe down coffee tables and side tables etc. Basically, we left everything as we found it, which is what I would expect of any AirBnB guest. It took all of 10 minutes (2 of us) to do that! If everyone did that, cleaners wouldn't need to cut corners. Hosts should not skimp on cleaning, but they are entitled to a fair profit. Guests need to be considerate of the host and of guests who will stay after they leave.
I've seen some very grotty hotels and motels. Cleaning standards in many of those are extremely poor. It's a bit unfair to single out AirBnB facilities. It comes down to management, and I'm sure a lot of AirBnB managers are very diligent.

Stayed in one in Airlie Beach Qld recently. It was first class. I made sure to strip beds that we slept in and pile linen and all used towels on the bathroom floor so I expect they would have been laundered. The linen felt crisp and clean when we arrived.
We thoroughly washed all dishes and kitchen utensils in hot, soapy water then rinsed them, dried and put them away and we took care to clean the sink, stove, and counters, wipe the fridge shelves, wipe down coffee tables and side tables etc. Basically, we left everything as we found it, which is what I would expect of any AirBnB guest. It took all of 10 minutes (2 of us) to do that! If everyone did that, cleaners wouldn't need to cut corners. Hosts should not skimp on cleaning, but they are entitled to a fair profit. Guests need to be considerate of the host and of guests who will stay after they leave.
I've seen some very grotty hotels and motels. Cleaning standards in many of those are extremely poor. It's a bit unfair to single out AirBnB facilities. It comes down to management, and I'm sure a lot of AirBnB managers are very diligent.
I don't believe AirBnB were SINGLED OUT FOR COMMENT as you stated. This article came about because Jason Shipway, owner of the Cleaning company was contacted via email by the Management Co. for AirBnB asking them to cut corners with cleaning in order to cut cleaning costs.

Had this been the same Cleaning Co. receiving this email from the same company who managed a different company offering similar services, we would be talking about them & not AirBnB wouldn't we?

Reactions: Rob44

View attachment 33740

Key Takeaways

This is a total lie . I am a host we have strict cleaning process We strip everything after each customer.

Reactions: Rob44
For what it is worth, my wife runs an AIR BnB in a spare room to help pay for our old age. Every guest enters a room that has been deep-cleaned, because of the Covid-19 risk, and is guaranteed freshly laundered bed-linen and towels. Any private company that does not provide a similar service (about 3-4 hours work per guest all told) should be treated as causing a health-risk for guests and should be put out of business. And yes, we pay all due income tax on her earnings (about $20-25 per hour). AirBnB earnings are very transparent to the ATO as the payments go straight to one's bank account.