Greens' proposal can save renters thousands amid soaring housing costs in this Aussie state

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australians are feeling the pinch, particularly when it comes to housing.

Renters, who make up a significant portion of the population, are facing an uphill battle as rental prices soar.

However, with this plan proposed by the Greens, thousands would be able to save on housing expenses.

In Queensland, the rise in rental prices is particularly dire, with the median hitting $550 per week—a staggering 22 per cent increase over the past two years, as reported by the Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority.

The Greens have been vocal about this issue, suggesting that Queenslanders could have saved an average of $5,395 over two years if the government had implemented a rental cap back in 2022.

This figure is based on data showing the financial impact of the end-of-tenancy increases that renters have had to bear.

The total additional cost to renters due to the 22 per cent rise is estimated at around $3.3 billion.

compressed-shutterstock_1506786176.jpeg
The Greens proposed a two-year rental freeze which could save thousands for Queensland renters. Credits: Shutterstock

In some suburbs, the situation is even more pronounced. West End, for example, has seen median weekly rent prices nearly double, while Greenslopes and Lutwyche have experienced a one-third increase in costs.

Queensland Greens MP Amy MacMahon strongly advocated for renters, stating, 'Our new analysis shows that if Labor had supported my Bill for an emergency rent freeze, every Queensland renter household would have an extra $5,400 in their pockets today.'

The Greens are pushing for a two-year rental freeze and a one per cent cap on rental prices in the upcoming October election.

The state government has taken some steps to address the rental crisis, such as banning rental bidding, implementing a 12-month limit on rental increases tied to properties rather than tenancies, and introducing a portable bond scheme.

However, these measures were seen as insufficient by many, including Anglicare Australia, which argued that the government's initiatives fall short during a housing crisis.

‘While it’s good to see an end to rental bidding, this change doesn’t go far enough,’ Angelicare’s Executive Director Kasy Chambers said.

‘And changing how often landlords increase the rent doesn’t affect the size of the increases.’

The Anglicare Housing Report painted a grim picture, with only 0.5 per cent of available properties in Southern Queensland being affordable—less than 30 per cent of a person’s income—for households on welfare support, and less than 9 per cent affordable for residents on minimum wage.

The Gold Coast is bearing the brunt of these surging prices, with only 8 per cent of properties being affordable for a couple on minimum wage with two young children.

Chambers stated that it's time to enact laws to cap rental hikes, abolish no-cause evictions, and elevate the minimum standards for home livability.

She pointed out that ‘Limits on rent increases are widely used around the world and are already working in the ACT (Australian Capital Territory), which is the only part of the country where rent growth is slowing. '

‘There is no reason not to bring in limits for other states and territories.’

‘Governments must step in to protect renters,’ she added.

The call for legislation to cap rental increases and provide greater protection for renters comes at a critical time, as many Australians, particularly seniors, are feeling the pinch of rising housing costs.

These proposed changes aim to shield renters from unfair treatment and ensure that everyone has access to safe and affordable housing.

With new laws on the horizon, renters from another state can look forward to greater security and stability in the rental market, as outlined in the recent announcement highlighting game-changing regulations to protect tenants.
Key Takeaways
  • According to the Greens, Queensland renters could have saved approximately $5400 over two years with a rental freeze.
  • Rents in Queensland have seen a significant increase of 22 per cent in two years, with some suburbs experiencing even higher spikes.
  • The Queensland government introduced some measures to tackle the rental crisis, but the Greens and Anglicare Australia argued that these are not enough.
  • The Greens advocated for a two-year rental freeze and a cap on price increases, while Anglicare suggested legislating limits on rental increases and improving the minimum standard for housing.
Have you felt the impact of rising rent prices? Do you think a rental freeze could benefit you or your loved ones? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
We here in WA are copping unfair rent increase and the price is absurd when the place you are renting is falling down around your ears. Every week there is some problem or another that requires us to fix or wait weeks for the real estate to do anything about it. It's becoming impossible to find cheap rentals anymore so we can't move either and housing shortage is massive here. Something seriously needs to change..NOW..the government needs to do more,,

This is the reason many of my friends chose to sell their investment homes. Less problem with having your hard earned money in a term deposit or share portfolio. People would be up in arms if the government could tell them what to do with any money they saved. Yet seem to think it’s ok when government can tell homeowners who will live in your investment, allow pets, how much to charge even though all your costs have gone up. The market got a fair price and no more maintenance problems

Reactions: Babbie
I'v lived in rented property virtually my whole life, my parents bought their first home a year before I left home.

I would love to see the rental prices go down, but rent caps are not the solution.

Government intervention in financial markets never makes things better.

Temporary rent caps only delay the inevitable. When the cap ends the owners will try to recover all the money they missed out on, causing massive rent hikes that drive the most vulnerable out of the market.

Permanent rent caps drive home owners out of the investment property market, reducing the amount of rental property available and again hurting the most vulnerable.

Because they are normally in the properties with the smallest return on investment, thus the first to be sold off.

The best way for governments to help is in making more land for cheaper investment housing available and reducing the costs and delays of developing the land.

Reactions: Babbie
This is the reason many of my friends chose to sell their investment homes. Less problem with having your hard earned money in a term deposit or share portfolio. People would be up in arms if the government could tell them what to do with any money they saved. Yet seem to think it’s ok when government can tell homeowners who will live in your investment, allow pets, how much to charge even though all your costs have gone up. The market got a fair price and no more maintenance problems
I spent about $19800 in a six month period repairing a rental property which I had been renting out for several years to a solo woman.That included a new stove to cook on as she had wrecked the previous one, a new hot-water cylinder (yes, they wear out in about 7 years! ) considerable repairs to woodwork she had allowed water to penetrate and rot, new vinyl flooring, repairs to the shower, repainting throughout , new aircon etc. Much of the work I did myself to keep costs down.I think the lady had been paying $350 a week rent in her last year (2022). I also lost 6 months rent whilst doing the repairs. Work it out; if landlords are expected to maintain their properties to a sane standard for tenants, and tradies want between $80 -$140 an hour, and materials cost rather a lot of money as well (the local tip-shop sells old and battered weatherboard cladding at $6 a metre, and that is just a start when it comes to second-hand timber and windows) then life gets expensive for landlords and their tenants. And with inflation running at about 5% per year for stuff we have to buy to do repairs and the Greens want rent caps, then.........guess what?

Selling an investment home means it is not sold to a tenant who can't afford a mortgage, so doing that doesn't free up the much-needed "low-cost" housing. So government needs to get of its lazy backside and build "council houses"; the UK managed that at a rate of about 200 000 per year from 1945 to about 1979 until Thatcher sold the pubic housing to private owners.

Anyone who even contemplates buying a house in this day and age is nuts... majority come with $000,000 of building defects.....