Grandmother's generosity turns financial horror after losing nearly $66,000 in charity debacle

In a tale that serves as a cautionary reminder to all, an Aussie grandmother's act of generosity turned into a financial nightmare when she lost a significant portion of her retirement fund.

The incident has raised questions about financial trust and security among retirees, highlighting concerns over safeguarding retirement funds in unexpected circumstances.

Netta Ferlazzo, a Melbourne retiree with a heart for helping others, found herself out of pocket by $66,000 after she claimed to have loaned the money to an ex-cop for his mental health charity.

Unfortunately, former Victoria Police Officer Tony Dowling insisted the money was a gift; not a loan.

compressed-shutterstock_1618228234.jpeg
Retired grandmother Netta Ferlazzo alleged she lost approximately $66,000 to former police officer Tony Dowling after loaning for his mental health charity. Credit: Shutterstock

The story began with a noble cause. Mr Dowling, also a qualified landscaper, pitched the idea of his not-for-profit organisation, Y Not Try, to Ms Ferlazzo while working on her garden.

The charity's mission was to support first responders suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)—a cause that resonated deeply with Ms Ferlazzo, who had served in the army during the Vietnam War.

‘I was really sold on the idea. I thought these people really need help, we don't do enough for them, so I said, “What do you need,”’ Ms Ferlazzo recalled.

‘I offered the financial help [and] he said, “That would be great,” because he couldn't do it by himself.’

Moved by the plight of those the charity aimed to help, Ms Ferlazzo became heavily involved, not only with her finances but also with her time and energy.

She claimed to have done all the legwork, paid lawyers to register the charity and become its director.

‘I have paid for animals that are on the property, I have paid for his rent, I've paid for petrol, I have paid for legal costs, I have paid for food, for barbecues,’ Ms Ferlazzo shared.

Dowling established Y Not Try at a semi-rural property in Tarneit, located in Melbourne's western suburbs, providing a space where members and their families could explore to ‘not only experience the healing power of plants but also animals, nutrition, health, fitness, rehabilitation’.

Ms Ferlazzo alleged that she lent Dowling nearly $10,000 to cover personal expenses and purchased various items for him, such as a $450 fridge and a new mattress.

‘He stopped working, he had no income, no money to pay his rent, no money to pay his bills, so I was supporting him as well,’ she explained.

‘Every time I paid for something, Tony would say, “You'll get it all back, you'll get it all back.”’

‘In the end, I said, “I can't afford this anymore, Tony”…he came around here and said, “I'm flat broke…I have two invoices I haven't given you yet.”’

‘And I said, “OK…well, this is going to have to be the last one,”’ Ms Ferlazzo continued.

Ms Ferlazzo's accountant and the charity's other director, Stan Daniels, observed that Y Not Try seemed ‘to be doing absolutely nothing’.

In June, Ms Ferlazzo sent an email to Mr Dowling proposing a payment of $40,000 ‘paid over the course of three years in equal instalments with no interest incurred’.

Mr Dowling rejected the offer, stating there was no formal loan agreement between them and that the money was intended as a gift.

The situation escalated to a point where Ferlazzo and Daniels found themselves ignored at their own charity's doorstep, and police were called to the scene.

Dowling later denied Ferlazzo's claims, suggesting that her financial contributions were gifts—such as clothing and alcohol.

He also insinuated that Ms Ferlazzo's generosity stemmed from romantic feelings towards him.

‘When you lend someone money, and they say continually, “You are going to get the money back,” that's not a gift,’ Ms Ferlazzo responded.

This distressing experience has had a profound impact on Ms Ferlazzo's life. She has had to cancel a planned holiday and postpone necessary home modifications as she ages.

‘My whole life has changed because of this,’ she lamented.

Unable to afford legal representation, she is now hoping to recover her funds through debt collectors.

Ms Ferlazzo noted that Mr Dowling exploited her background as an army veteran to persuade her to finance the charity.

‘He knew how I felt about people with PTSD,’ she claimed.

‘He's seen me cry when I've remembered things when I was in the army.’

Mr Dowling was reported to have initially agreed to an interview with the media but later withdrew.

Ms Ferlazzo’s experience highlights concerns over financial trust and security, particularly among seniors.

Instances like these underscore the importance of vigilance, especially as charity scams are reportedly on the rise.

Seniors, who may be more vulnerable to such schemes, are urged to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of charitable initiatives to protect their finances and well-being.
Key Takeaways

• A retired grandmother, Netta Ferlazzo, claimed she lost part of her retirement fund after loaning around $66,000 to former police officer Tony Dowling for his mental health charity.
  • The charity, named Y Not Try, was founded by Mr Dowling to support first responders with PTSD, which resonated with Ms Ferlazzo due to her military background.
  • Ms Ferlazzo alleged that Dowling did not repay the borrowed money, leading to financial strain and an inability to afford certain expenses and home modifications.
  • There was a dispute over whether the money was a loan or a gift, with Ms Ferlazzo insisting on repayment and engaging debt collectors, while Mr Dowling denied the claims, suggesting other motivations for her generosity.
Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give others? We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The fact that he said you will get the money back is red flags. He was nothing but a con artist. Some of us don't have a good BS meter.
I encountered a man who was a dog trainer well suppose to be. He told all of us he trained in America. Ok l believed that.
Then the one thing he said made me wonder about this person.
He was a large man not the fittest person going around. When one day he told a few of us l use belong to the SAS. I blurted out. Oh you jumped out of helicopters,? Something in me just couldn't get my head around this. A couple weeks on he told us how he was in Rwanda the horror he had seen was to much to talk about.
Anzac Day was coming up.. l asked you going to be matching this year? No l cannot bring myself to do that.
Red flags.
Anyway going a few months down the track we found this man was a BS artist. He had been a ball room dancer never served in the armed forces. The dog training was from going to do dog training for his own dog.
I felt so foolish and betrayed.
My only saving grace was l wasn't the only fool the whole group who attended dog training believed him.
If you feel red flags please tread very carefully. Particularly when money is involved.
Kind regards to all Vicki

If you thought it was a loan - go and have legal Papers drawn up. My accountant even says if you loan to your children then have a legal agreement. This then helps other siblings when it’s time to divide up the will

Reactions: Chip
Former police officer Tony Dowling for his mental health charity.
Maybe there's some in that old chant
ALL COPPERS ARE BASTARDS?
I HAVE A LOUISVILLE SLUGGER SHE CAN BORROW?
AND I'M IN THE AREA
Omg My uncle kept a Louisville slugger next to his front door. He was given it when he was 8. Just before he passed away 2 years ago he gave it to me. He said it was his most prized possession. He told me to use it if I need to. It's now kept in my garage..

He had it for 76 years