Grandmother ‘humiliated’ after being swindled out of thousands from a high-tech scam

In an age where technology is advancing at an unprecedented rate, it's not just the young and tech-savvy who are reaping the benefits.

Unfortunately, it's also not just these groups who are at risk of the darker side of this digital progression: scams.

A grandmother learned this the hard way when she was conned out of thousands by a high-tech scam, leaving her feeling 'humiliated' and out of pocket.

The scam unfolded just before Christmas, when Sally Marchant received a message on Facebook from someone she believed to be a friend.

The message was convincing, and why wouldn't it be? It came from her friend's account, after all.

However, behind the familiar profile picture was a scammer using artificial intelligence (AI) to manipulate Sally into sending them money.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 101938.jpg
Sally Marchant lost $10,000 to a scammer in a high-tech Facebook scam that uses AI. Credits: Facebook / 9 News Perth

The scam promised a return on investment that was too good to be true: send $10,000 and receive $200,000 back.

According to Sally, the scammers using her friend's hacked account were persistent and encouraging.

‘They were really encouraging, saying, “Yeah, do it, do it.”’ Sally recalled.

Sally, convinced she was helping a friend, withdrew the money from her mortgage and with a single click, the money was gone.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch warned that scammers are increasingly using sophisticated software to carry out their deceptions.

AI (Artificial Intelligence) is a powerful tool, and in the wrong hands, it can be used to create highly convincing scams that are difficult for the average person to detect.

‘With the emergence of new technologies, Scamwatch continues to see growing sophistication in scam approaches, and is alert to the risks AI presents,’ a spokesperson stated.

‘This makes scams harder for the community to identify. The community should continue to approach any requests for personal information or money with caution, and exercise caution when clicking on hyperlinks.’

Almost immediately after the transfer, Sally felt that something was amiss.

It was only after she made the transaction that she called her friend to confirm the legitimacy of the request.

The truth hit hard; her friend had no knowledge of the message or the supposed financial opportunity.

‘So, I phoned him and physically spoke to him, and he just went, “No, no.” He knew nothing about it,’ she said.

‘You could have spent that on so many other wonderful things. So, I was cross with myself, I was quite humiliated.’

It's important to note that this type of scam is not limited to messages.

Some scammers have the capability to mimic a person's voice, making fraudulent phone calls or voice notes even more convincing.

‘They can be created with as little as three seconds of audio taken from a social media post, voicemail, or video on a website,’ Laura Hartley, Advisory Awareness Manager of National Australia Bank, explained.

‘We know they are happening in the UK and US, in particular, and anticipate it’s just a matter of time before these scams head Down Under.’

If you find yourself in a similar situation like Sally, here's what to do next:
Tip
1. Contact your bank immediately to report the scam and request them to halt any transactions and prevent further money transfers.

2. Report the scam to Scamwatch and file an official complaint with the police.

3. Be vigilant for subsequent scams, especially those promising refunds, as Scamwatch alerted that one out of three scam victims falls prey to multiple scams.

4. Seek support for yourself by consulting a financial counsellor or reaching out to BeyondBlue for assistance via phone on 1300 22 4636 or online chat. Alternatively, contact Lifeline for crisis support online or via phone on 13 11 14.

5. You can also reach out to IDCARE to ‘reduce the harm they experience from the compromise and misuse of their identity information by providing effective response and mitigation’.
The devastating impact of scams on seniors is painfully evident.

In a more heartbreaking incident, a grandfather met a tragic end after being swindled out of his life savings in another scam.

These distressing stories underscore the urgent need for greater awareness and vigilance among the elderly community.

As scammers employ increasingly sophisticated tactics to exploit unsuspecting victims, it's imperative for seniors to stay informed and safeguard themselves against such deceitful schemes.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian grandmother was deceived out of $10,000 due to a sophisticated Facebook scam involving her friend's hacked account.
  • The scammers used artificial intelligence (AI) to make the scam appear legitimate and convinced her to transfer money with the promise of a larger return.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warned that scammers are employing more advanced technology, making scams harder to detect.
  • The victim realised the error after making the transfer and felt humiliated, illustrating the emotional impact such scams can have on individuals.
Have you or someone you know been targeted by a similar scam? How did you deal with it? Share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
People, please always double-check and triple-check before committing to something that sounds too good to be true. Make the phone call, look up the website yourself, not by clicking a link. Be vigilant, not sorry.

"In an age where technology is advancing at an unprecedented rate, it's not just the young and tech-savvy who are reaping the benefits"

Benefits? What benefits?

As soon as someone requests money or personel info, you can be assured it's a scam. I really can't inderstand why anyone would send that amount of money without researching first. I just wish these occurrences would be a lesson to others.
I notice the toll way scam is still running hot. I've had 3 txt in one week. The link address is nothing like the real one. Beware!

As soon as someone requests money or personel info, you can be assured it's a scam. I really can't inderstand why anyone would send that amount of money without researching first. I just wish these occurrences would be a lesson to others.
I notice the toll way scam is still running hot. I've had 3 txt in one week. The link address is nothing like the real one. Beware!
Re toll scams: I have had at least 6 text messages that I have a toll fee not paid, but I live in WA and we don't have tolls! Also had 5 Hi Mum and one Hi Dad texts!!!

Reactions: Fanger