Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Grandma Knows Best

compressed-357719791_2345828852289834_6687327858141783364_n.jpeg
Image Credit: Facebook/AUSTRALIAN HISTORY

Just look at how the grandmas eye that apple ever so keenly—you’d think they were about to answer a million-dollar question! Did your grandparents ever share tried-and-tested tips for picking the best produce to take home? Tell us below, will you?

If you have similar photographs and memories, feel free to post them on our Nostalgia/Yesterday’s Australia forum.

My grandfather had for many years a fruit n veggies run. He used to go go around selling fruit n vegetables from the back of his grey Ute. He had his regular customers .

He always told me to make sure your vegies and fruit were firm .

And today I stick to this .

I went to a fruit shop with two of my daughters today , it was one who had put up a video on Instagram. They were selling boxes of fruit n veg for $10 and $15 a box , unfortunately it was all rubbish, I showed my daughter the eggplant and said feel it.
We then went to another shop and then she saw the difference.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
My grandfather had for many years a fruit n veggies run. He used to go go around selling fruit n vegetables from the back of his grey Ute. He had his regular customers .

He always told me to make sure your vegies and fruit were firm .

And today I stick to this .

I went to a fruit shop with two of my daughters today , it was one who had put up a video on Instagram. They were selling boxes of fruit n veg for $10 and $15 a box , unfortunately it was all rubbish, I showed my daughter the eggplant and said feel it.
We then went to another shop and then she saw the difference.
My stepmum actually presses the fruits a bit to check for... well, for something, I really don't know (maybe it's the firmness!) :LOL: I feel bad about the unpicked and slightly mushy produce she leaves behind, but I know better than to say anything about it unless I'm in the mood for an earful (which, surprise surprise, I never am) 🤪

I was taught to always smell the stem end of rockmelons & honeydews. If they don’t have a sweet smell I won’t buy them. Annoying now that nearly all fruit is refrigerated & not ripe when sold. Also, pluck one leaf out of the top of pineapples. If it comes out easily the pineapple is ripe. If you have to pull hard or it doesn’t come out, it’s not ripe. Once again, annoying when pineapples in supermarkets have all had their tops lopped off! There are lots of ways to check different fruits.

I was taught to always smell the stem end of rockmelons & honeydews. If they don’t have a sweet smell I won’t buy them. Annoying now that nearly all fruit is refrigerated & not ripe when sold. Also, pluck one leaf out of the top of pineapples. If it comes out easily the pineapple is ripe. If you have to pull hard or it doesn’t come out, it’s not ripe. Once again, annoying when pineapples in supermarkets have all had their tops lopped off! There are lots of ways to check different fruits.
Wow! I never knew about the pineapples :D I'll hope I come across ones with leaves still intact just to test this one out :LOL:
Tapping a watermelon to ensure it made a hollow sound, which meant it was ripe.
This is something I've seen my Dad do... I think there's also a way to tell how sweet they are by their colour, though I might be misremembering! 😅

Wow! I never knew about the pineapples :D I'll hope I come across ones with leaves still intact just to test this one out :LOL:

This is something I've seen my Dad do... I think there's also a way to tell how sweet they are by their colour, though I might be misremembering! 😅
I think that sometimes the colour can be misleading.