GPs warn bulk billing system is on brink of collapse

General practitioners, our first point of contact for medical concerns, have a grim outlook on the future of Australian healthcare. Without government support and sufficient Medicare funding, our bulk billing system may crash.

Bruce Willett, vice-president of the Royal Australian College of GPs, has been a medical doctor for decades. In recent years, his practice was put in a tough position after Medicare failed to fill the gaps caused by rising operational costs.

‘We're really concerned for our patients and have tried hard to keep up bulk-billing to support those patients to obtain the health they need,’ the GP said to ABC News.

But many doctors can no longer afford to - a recent HealthEd survey found that more than one in five GPs decided to change their billing model.

Many blame the situation on the Medicare funding freeze. Introduced in 2013, it was meant to be a temporary savings measure but has been in place since.

The Labor government increased the rebate by 1.6 per cent last month. However, Dr Willett said it is insufficient to make up for their losses, especially with Australia’s 6.1 per cent inflation rate.

Instead, Australian GPs are pushing for a hike of 10 per cent, especially for consultations that take longer. Willett said: ‘The way that Medicare is structured at the moment, unfortunately, it tends to favour shorter consultations, and we're seeing increasing levels of mental illness, increasing levels of multiple chronic illnesses, and that just takes time to work through.’

Aussies took it to social news website Reddit to react.

One user said: ‘I don't feel like we have an accessible and universal healthcare system anymore, and that is a terrible slippery slope for us to be on.’

Another sympathised with the impossible situation the doctors are in: ‘I discovered not long ago that complex wound care costs GPs money, even their normal gap barely covers the cost. I wonder how many things GPs do that they are losing money on due to supply costs and lack of medicare rebates.’

A Redditor lamented: ‘This wave of inflation will no doubt kill off all remaining bulk billing GPs given the fee rebates won't increase anywhere near inflation. It seems to be kicking off a cycle of practices going to private.’

Marie Healy, based in Redfern, is another GP who chose to stop bulk-billing after two decades of service.

In an opinion piece in The Sydney Morning Herald, she said: ‘Medicare rebates have historically undervalued our service, but the freeze several years ago compounded this. I earn at least 10 per cent less than I did six years ago. I worked at a small practice that had been operating in Redfern for more than 30 years. It closed six years ago because of this. That GP and I moved to a larger practice, which decided this year to abandon bulk-billing for all but the neediest and First Nations patients.’

Healy continued: ‘The practice takes a proportion of all our earnings to pay for nurses, receptionists, equipment and the usual running costs. In the end, it’s a matter of survival.’

pexels-karolina-grabowska-4021779.jpg
Doctors say that the current billing system is unsustainable and would lead to surging fees for consultation. Credit: Karolina Grabowska

The Redfern physician says that she always has bulk-billed pensioners, but now they have to pay $20 out of pocket. In her practice, she noticed that those who could not afford the consultations were the happiest to pay.

‘Although I am concerned that fees might be a disincentive for people to access healthcare, my experience to date has been that it frequently comes down to choice, and how much people value their health and the care their GP provides,’ Healy wrote, ‘I’ve had many instances of patients insisting I bulk-bill them when they smoke a pack a day, or regularly see a naturopath, or pay hundreds to vets, or spend thousands on overseas trips or fancy dining. For some reason, they demand a discount from the GP but not the others.’

Primary care is integral to healthcare. About 85 per cent of Australians see a GP at least once a year, but Healy notes that GPs seem to be undervalued in the country. ‘There is ample evidence that primary care, delivered by GPs, helps to keep people well, improves life expectancy, and reduces the burden on hospitals, yet billions have been directed away from primary care,’ she said.

The doctor also pointed out the healthcare system currently faces a shortage of GPs. The need is great, especially with the increasing population, but Healy says it will only worsen if GPs continue to be underappreciated and compensated.

Commenting on the piece, a Redditor sarcastically said, ‘Wow, it’s like the last nine years of Governance has purposely pulled the rug out from under Medicare in an attempt to ruin it and then privatise it due to it being so f*****. I’m shocked. So very, very shocked.’

Another agreed with the article but noticed a gap in discussion: ‘The central idea is correct: GPs cannot afford to bulk-bill. But after the author mentioned "Medicare freeze" once, they never came back to the main cause of the problem.’

Others felt it was only right to ask GPs for bulk billing: ‘Because taxes go towards the public health system, why is it such an outrageous idea that a tax-paying citizen that pays for public health care would "demand" not having to pay to see a doctor? Taxes don't go towards vets, retailers or luxury items the same way (through backroom lobbying bull****, they do, sadly).’

One commenter tried to see from the perspective of doctors: ‘I suspect GPs feel it's very fair to ask for tax dollars to support your healthcare, but they'd really prefer those requests be directed to those allocating public funds and not to the person with zero control over it.

‘The article makes the point that when you ask to be bulk-billed, you ask the GP to choose to make less. As an individual, you receive the same financial support from Medicare regardless of whether you're bulk-billed or not.’

Still, it’s not a good situation all-around: ’It is an inaccurate knee-jerk reaction to blame the usual scapegoats of this type of s***. The reality is that public health is in a f***** place right now.’

What are your thoughts on the crisis? Have you (or your friends) been affected by the shift from bulk billing? Feel free to share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
General practitioners, our first point of contact for medical concerns, have a grim outlook on the future of Australian healthcare. Without government support and sufficient Medicare funding, our bulk billing system may crash.

Bruce Willett, vice-president of the Royal Australian College of GPs, has been a medical doctor for decades. In recent years, his practice was put in a tough position after Medicare failed to fill the gaps caused by rising operational costs.

‘We're really concerned for our patients and have tried hard to keep up bulk-billing to support those patients to obtain the health they need,’ the GP said to ABC News.

But many doctors can no longer afford to - a recent HealthEd survey found that more than one in five GPs decided to change their billing model.

Many blame the situation on the Medicare funding freeze. Introduced in 2013, it was meant to be a temporary savings measure but has been in place since.

The Labor government increased the rebate by 1.6 per cent last month. However, Dr Willett said it is insufficient to make up for their losses, especially with Australia’s 6.1 per cent inflation rate.

Instead, Australian GPs are pushing for a hike of 10 per cent, especially for consultations that take longer. Willett said: ‘The way that Medicare is structured at the moment, unfortunately, it tends to favour shorter consultations, and we're seeing increasing levels of mental illness, increasing levels of multiple chronic illnesses, and that just takes time to work through.’

One user said: ‘I don't feel like we have an accessible and universal healthcare system anymore, and that is a terrible slippery slope for us to be on.’

Another sympathised with the impossible situation the doctors are in: ‘I discovered not long ago that complex wound care costs GPs money, even their normal gap barely covers the cost. I wonder how many things GPs do that they are losing money on due to supply costs and lack of medicare rebates.’

A Redditor lamented: ‘This wave of inflation will no doubt kill off all remaining bulk billing GPs given the fee rebates won't increase anywhere near inflation. It seems to be kicking off a cycle of practices going to private.’

Marie Healy, based in Redfern, is another GP who chose to stop bulk-billing after two decades of service.

In an opinion piece in The Sydney Morning Herald, she said: ‘Medicare rebates have historically undervalued our service, but the freeze several years ago compounded this. I earn at least 10 per cent less than I did six years ago. I worked at a small practice that had been operating in Redfern for more than 30 years. It closed six years ago because of this. That GP and I moved to a larger practice, which decided this year to abandon bulk-billing for all but the neediest and First Nations patients.’

Healy continued: ‘The practice takes a proportion of all our earnings to pay for nurses, receptionists, equipment and the usual running costs. In the end, it’s a matter of survival.’

View attachment 5257
Doctors say that the current billing system is unsustainable and would lead to surging fees for consultation. Credit: Karolina Grabowska

The Redfern physician says that she always has bulk-billed pensioners, but now they have to pay $20 out of pocket. In her practice, she noticed that those who could not afford the consultations were the happiest to pay.

‘Although I am concerned that fees might be a disincentive for people to access healthcare, my experience to date has been that it frequently comes down to choice, and how much people value their health and the care their GP provides,’ Healy wrote, ‘I’ve had many instances of patients insisting I bulk-bill them when they smoke a pack a day, or regularly see a naturopath, or pay hundreds to vets, or spend thousands on overseas trips or fancy dining. For some reason, they demand a discount from the GP but not the others.’

Primary care is integral to healthcare. About 85 per cent of Australians see a GP at least once a year, but Healy notes that GPs seem to be undervalued in the country. ‘There is ample evidence that primary care, delivered by GPs, helps to keep people well, improves life expectancy, and reduces the burden on hospitals, yet billions have been directed away from primary care,’ she said.

The doctor also pointed out the healthcare system currently faces a shortage of GPs. The need is great, especially with the increasing population, but Healy says it will only worsen if GPs continue to be underappreciated and compensated.

Commenting on the piece, a Redditor sarcastically said, ‘Wow, it’s like the last nine years of Governance has purposely pulled the rug out from under Medicare in an attempt to ruin it and then privatise it due to it being so f*****. I’m shocked. So very, very shocked.’

Another agreed with the article but noticed a gap in discussion: ‘The central idea is correct: GPs cannot afford to bulk-bill. But after the author mentioned "Medicare freeze" once, they never came back to the main cause of the problem.’

Others felt it was only right to ask GPs for bulk billing: ‘Because taxes go towards the public health system, why is it such an outrageous idea that a tax-paying citizen that pays for public health care would "demand" not having to pay to see a doctor? Taxes don't go towards vets, retailers or luxury items the same way (through backroom lobbying bull****, they do, sadly).’

One commenter tried to see from the perspective of doctors: ‘I suspect GPs feel it's very fair to ask for tax dollars to support your healthcare, but they'd really prefer those requests be directed to those allocating public funds and not to the person with zero control over it.

‘The article makes the point that when you ask to be bulk-billed, you ask the GP to choose to make less. As an individual, you receive the same financial support from Medicare regardless of whether you're bulk-billed or not.’

Still, it’s not a good situation all-around: ’It is an inaccurate knee-jerk reaction to blame the usual scapegoats of this type of s***. The reality is that public health is in a f***** place right now.’

What are your thoughts on the crisis? Have you (or your friends) been affected by the shift from bulk billing? Feel free to share them with us in the comments!
We are taking on the American system and it's not going to end up well for the people that really can't afford to visit a doctor on a regular basis. The politicians should take a massive pay cut so the money that goes to them can go towards helping the doctors, nurses and medical staff. The billionaires should also be taxed and that can go towards affordable housing. Australia used to be the lucky country but it is no longer.

View attachment 5257

I was actually told to get into a bulk billing psychologist WITH a mental health plan to tell them my heritage was INDIGENOUS which is a Lie !!! And I was told this by a lady on the phone in the health department of my state government. She said I would get help IMMEDIATELY!!!
So there you go! Read into it what you will!

View attachment 5257

Another hangover from the previous federal government they deserve being blamed as they handed over our previous lucky country to what we are living in today. For you young voters who don’t know the history inform yourselves before your vote is wasted. Find out which political party introduced Medicare (Medibank) to see everyone treated as an equal. We all deserve a fair go! Jenny Crowd a proud Australian

I was actually told to get into a bulk billing psychologist WITH a mental health plan to tell them my heritage was INDIGENOUS which is a Lie !!! And I was told this by a lady on the phone in the health department of my state government. She said I would get help IMMEDIATELY!!!
So there you go! Read into it what you will!
I see a psychologist using the Medicare health plan 10 visits, you should be able to get seen to pretty quickly. I pay $180 and get $110 back from Medicare.

A friend of my daughters was told to say she was from an indigenous background so she could get public housing quicker , her stepfather has 1/4 aboriginal in him. As for her she is 0 but she got into her house quicker . 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
The Medicare Levy has been at a rate of 1.5% of taxable income since 1st July, 1995. Do we not all agree that prices have gone up since then? I'm sorry wage and salary earners but it's about time that Medicare was increased to 2 or maybe 2.5% at least, then maybe the Doctors and Hospitals could get more equitable funding. As a pensioner I wouldn't be averse to paying my doctor $10 or at a push $20 per visit to help with his costs. What I do object to though is the huge amounts we are forced to fork out to Specialists who swan in, grunt and move on and charge an amount over the Medicare rebate of $80 or more. That's a return of $960 per hour plus 12 Medicare amounts. I'm sorry, I don't care how much study you've done, no-one is worth over a $1000 per hour.:unsure:

Maybe we should be looking at how much doctor's are actually earning. Most doctor's charge by 10 or 15 minutes. Work out that hourly rate. A lot more than the average worker. They should rein in their pay demands, as that is what it actually is.

We have had a pretty good healthcare system and we need to work out how to make it keep working.
Nothing is more important than a person's health.
Is it just me or are doctors timing the consultations? Are the doctors being underpaid?
Every time I go to my Surgeon I am $85 out of pocket.
My daughters lung specialist cost me $110 I get back $38.

It would be good if medical funds actually covered specialist.

What worries me is if gap payments come into affect how overloaded will our hospitals become. More and more people will go to emergency in public hospitals rather than their doctors

What happens in someone has say 4 sick kids ?? The cost could be huge

I took my daughter last week to hospital with a severe asthma attack and the ammount of people there was incredible, the line to actually get inside was so long.

• Sad
Do people remember what is was like before Medicare (or Medibank, as it was originally)? That was when you had to pay to see a doctor every time. I often had to consider whether or not I could afford to visit my G.P. After Medicare came in, I was at least able to get a partial refund. Now, as a pensioner, my G.P. bulk-bills me. I would hate this to no longer be a possibility. However, I know that doctors don’t get nearly the cost of the visit back. I really think the answer is to increase the percentage amount and in turn increase the amount rebated to doctors when they bulk-bill.

What I just found out is GPs get paid $39 for each patient this is for 20min and if they spend longer than its more. This explains when I book I have to state if it will be a longer appointment.

Apparently they get more if they do referrals even for blood test for illnesses like diabetes.

Doctors also receive bonuses and perks eg from Pharmaceutical companies. That's awhole topic in it self.

Growing up I had the best doctor, who would stay back until she saw her very last patient. She spent however long she needed with you.

This doctor was a very dedicated lady. She actually delivered me, saw me grow and was my eldest child's doctor as well . It Was a sad day when she retired. How good was she ? I was named after her.

As we get older so do our doctors and then they retire.
I've had 2 doctors retire and now I'm onto my 3rd , she is the daughter of my 2nd doctor and has the same values of her dads.
I seen a number of other doctors eg after hours or when she was on maternity leave and unfortunately not as many are as dedicated as her

View attachment 5257

$80 for a script to be written over a phone consultation without seeing the doctor is a blatant rip off and yes the LNP government undermined the Medicare system and pumped billion's into private health so the one's that can't afford it now pay for it for not having private health 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

$80 for a script to be written over a phone consultation without seeing the doctor is a blatant rip off and yes the LNP government undermined the Medicare system and pumped billion's into private health so the one's that can't afford it now pay for it for not having private health 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I have private health and no I can't afford it but I am too scared to ve without it. I have seen the difference between private and public health , my daughter who dies not have private health had to wait 18 months for a gallbladder removal and was in severe pain and a few trips to hospital by ambulance . I waited 2 weeks, my husband waited 7 days

We are taking on the American system and it's not going to end up well for the people that really can't afford to visit a doctor on a regular basis. The politicians should take a massive pay cut so the money that goes to them can go towards helping the doctors, nurses and medical staff. The billionaires should also be taxed and that can go towards affordable housing. Australia used to be the lucky country but it is no longer.
Usual knee jerk reaction. 😂😂
How much tax do you think the billionaires already pay? It's in the millions. They've started companies which were successful so they made a lot of money which is what a good business does. This is what the most successful already do with their money....

And MP's cutting their money is also knee jerk. Their salaries are decided by an independent body. They don't choose their own salary.

I see a psychologist using the Medicare health plan 10 visits, you should be able to get seen to pretty quickly. I pay $180 and get $110 back from Medicare.

A friend of my daughters was told to say she was from an indigenous background so she could get public housing quicker , her stepfather has 1/4 aboriginal in him. As for her she is 0 but she got into her house quicker . 🤔
I could say a LOT about this but I'll bite my tongue!