Government overhauls Triple-0 service in the wake of Optus outage

Transformative changes are set to reshape Australia's emergency services in the aftermath of the Optus outage.

The government has announced a comprehensive overhaul to the triple-0 service, which promises to fortify the nation's lifeline in times of crisis.

On 8 November, approximately 10 million Australians lost phone service due to the Optus outage, causing businesses to be unable to operate properly for several hours.

Optus also revealed that 2697 customers were unable to connect to the triple-0 emergency number—a critical service we all hope to rely on in our most dire moments.

shutterstock_2289362803.jpg
The government announced the overhauling of the triple-0 service in the aftermath of the Optus outage. Credit: Shutterstock

The government said the outage not only compromised public safety but also resulted in ‘considerable distress for many and damaged the community’s confidence that they will always have to critical services’.

In response to this alarming incident, the government has accepted all 18 recommendations from an independent review.

One of the most significant changes is the introduction of a triple-0 'custodian'.

This role will be pivotal in the ongoing monitoring and efficiency of the emergency service, ensuring that the system remains robust and responsive to the needs of Australians in distress.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland has emphasised the importance of these reforms, stating, 'Australians need to have confidence in our telecommunications services, particularly when it comes to triple-0.'

She acknowledged the vulnerabilities exposed by not only the Optus outage but also a Telstra triple-0 fault earlier in the year, underscoring the urgency of reinforcing the system.

‘This review is the most comprehensive examination of the triple-0 ecosystem in over a decade,’ she said.

‘It means we have a workable blueprint to implement changes that will help improve the resilience of telecommunications in this country.’

‘The review identified opportunities every part of the system needs to do better, and these recommendations will help us do just that.’

shutterstock_2318577377.jpg
The overhaul also comes after the exposure of vulnerabilities by Optus and Telstra. Credit: Shutterstock

Richard Bean, who led the post-incident review, concluded that while the system was not 'fundamentally broken,' there was a clear need for significant enhancements.

‘There is a great deal we can learn from this outage. We need to act on and implement what we have learnt to ensure that Australia is better prepared for future outages, and most critically, that the emergency call service is delivered within a robust and reliable framework,’ he wrote.

In the coming 12 to 18 months, telecommunications companies will be mandated to conduct biannual tests on all aspects of the emergency services line.

This proactive approach aims to prevent a recurrence of the failures experienced during the Optus outage.

Furthermore, telcos will be required to develop and provide detailed plans for mitigating risks in the event of a major outage.

Another critical area of improvement identified by the review is communication.

During the Optus outage, Bean said the communication was deemed 'inadequate,' with carriers failing to provide real-time network information to customers and emergency services organisations.

New rules will be established to ensure that carriers communicate more effectively with their customers during incidents.
Key Takeaways
  • The government has announced an overhaul of the triple-0 service following a major Optus outage that left thousands without emergency call access.
  • A 'custodian' will be appointed to monitor the efficiency of the triple-0 service, and telecommunications companies will be required to conduct biannual tests of their emergency call lines.
  • The government has accepted all 18 recommendations from an independent review, which include mandates on how telcos should communicate with customers during major outages.
  • The review, considered the most comprehensive examination of the triple-0 ecosystem in over a decade, identified opportunities for significant improvements to ensure the resilience of telecommunications services.
Have you ever faced difficulties when trying to reach triple-0? What improvements would you like to see in the system? Let us know in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Liz, Liag and BJM
Sponsored
had my nexdoor nabor fell over she hert her hip iphond tripel ooo iam in n.s.w got a lady in victoria she didnot weare we wear gave her all the info waited for 1 hour no ambo could have taken her to hospital my self as the hospital is only 500meters a way 2 hours later our ambo tirndup iarsked what keped them thay on got the call just now luckie she hadent broken eny bones as cement floor dusnot say sorry we live in a small town and juat about every body nows us

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and janj
These difficulties could have been foreseen. Why does it take an outage to remedy a situation that was obvious in the first place.

had my nexdoor nabor fell over she hert her hip iphond tripel ooo iam in n.s.w got a lady in victoria she didnot weare we wear gave her all the info waited for 1 hour no ambo could have taken her to hospital my self as the hospital is only 500meters a way 2 hours later our ambo tirndup iarsked what keped them thay on got the call just now luckie she hadent broken eny bones as cement floor dusnot say sorry we live in a small town and juat about every body nows us
Well at least you tried to help.

Pleased to hear this situation is being overhauled.
On another 000 situation, since the closure of 3g network how many of us have been told to upgrade our phones to enable us to call emergency services? I, for one have been told by my provider I need to upgrade my phone but on presenting myself twice...on two different occasions, to my providers store, both times different staff, to be told I do not need a new phone and yes I am able to make an emergency call.
I'm confused...anyone else come across this situation??

Pleased to hear this situation is being overhauled.
On another 000 situation, since the closure of 3g network how many of us have been told to upgrade our phones to enable us to call emergency services? I, for one have been told by my provider I need to upgrade my phone but on presenting myself twice...on two different occasions, to my providers store, both times different staff, to be told I do not need a new phone and yes I am able to make an emergency call.
I'm confused...anyone else come across this situation??
Found this information;
From 15 December 2023 Telstra, Optus and Vodafone/TPG will begin to shut down their 3G networks. The shutdown will begin with TPG/Vodafone network on 15 December 2023, Telstra on 30 June 2024 and Optus in September 2024. This is due to the 4G and 5G networks being widespread and in common use.