Got bananas? Check this quick and easy air fryer banana bread recipe!

We've all been there – you have some bananas that are starting to go brown, and you don't want to waste them. But what can you make?

You could always fry them up and have banana pancakes for breakfast (yum!), or you could get a little more creative and try your hand at banana bread.

But wait, what about the calories?

Fret not, we've got good news – this recipe from baker Laura Nightingale, also known as @CakeOnTheRun on Instagram, uses just four ingredients, and each slice is only 135 calories! So it's perfect as a healthy snack or dessert. Best of all, it can be made in an air fryer in just 13 minutes!

Neat, right? So here's what you'll need: 100g (½ cup) self-raising flour, an overripe banana, one egg (or for our vegan friends: ½ cup chickpea water), and two tablespoons of honey or maple syrup.

Screenshot_1.png
Laura’s banana bread recipe has 135 calories per slice. Credit: Instagram/@cakeontherun

Let’s jump right in!

First, Laura preheated her air fryer to around 180 degrees Celsius.

Next, in a bowl, she split her banana into small segments, which she then mashed into a fine mush.

Once mashed, she added the flour, the sweet syrup of her choice, and then some whisked eggs. If you prefer using chickpea water for a vegan alternative, Laura recommends whisking it until it turns foamy.

And if you're feeling fancy, you could add some chocolate chips or chopped nuts to the batter before cooking. Yum!

Laura then mixed all ingredients into a batter, which she transferred into a small bowl lined with parchment paper. If desired, you can top the batter with banana slices!

Lastly, she put the bowl into the air fryer for 13 minutes.

The easy-peasy DIY banana bread can be sliced into quarters and easily served to four lucky loved ones.

Unsurprisingly, people were amazed by Laura’s easy four-ingredient banana bread.

One user wrote: ‘I am so trying this recipe.’

‘It looks so delicious!’ another added. Honestly, we agree! We bet it goes perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee…

pexels-photo-5441137.jpg
Bananas ripen due to the release of a compound called ethylene, which converts starch abundant in unripe bananas to sugar. Credit: Pexels/Rachel Loughman

We’ve got banana bread covered, so what else can we do with overripe bananas?

Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! You can also opt to freeze overripe bananas to have them on hand for desserts like smoothies or homemade ice cream.

If you have time, you could also check out what this sports nutritionist did with her bananas that doesn’t use any flour or refined sugars at all!

Key Takeaways

• A woman has shared a four-ingredient air fryer banana bread recipe that's only 135 calories per slice.
  • The recipe serves four people and is a healthy sweet treat which uses just four simple ingredients, flour, banana, egg and honey or maple syrup.
  • Laura Nightingale took to her Instagram page @cakeontherun to share the tasty low calorie recipe. In the clip Laura started by mashing the banana in a bowl until it had become a paste texture.
  • She then added the flour, honey, egg and stirred the mixture together before spooning it into a small oven-proof dish with baking parchment paper.
Bananas sure are a wonder fruit, aren’t they? If you can get the fact that they seem to ripen so fast especially when you bring them home (honestly, it’s like they’re doing it on purpose!) out of the way, they are very convenient fruits packed with nutrients and antioxidants.

So, has this story got you eyeing your bananas at home for your next arvo snack? Or maybe you have other simple banana recipes we could all enjoy?

Don’t be shy, please share your reactions and other recipes in the comments section below!

Source: Instagram/@cakeontherun

Sponsored
My grandkids love their version of "banana bread" for breakfast. What's unhealthy about this? Nothing in my opinion.
Two slices of bread, one mashed banana, one (or 2) egg lightly beaten.
Mix the banana and egg, dip the sliced (or 8 x 1/4 squares) of bread in the mix and lightly fry in a small amount of butter in a non-stick pan.
Perfectly delicious.

I wonder if other kind of flour could be used 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think all-purpose flour also works! :D
My grandkids love their version of "banana bread" for breakfast. What's unhealthy about this? Nothing in my opinion.
Two slices of bread, one mashed banana, one (or 2) egg lightly beaten.
Mix the banana and egg, dip the sliced (or 8 x 1/4 squares) of bread in the mix and lightly fry in a small amount of butter in a non-stick pan.
Perfectly delicious.
Love this @Jaynius, thanks so much for sharing! Everyone take notes!!
I am going to definitely try this recipe now!!
Tell us how it went @Krishnee!

Reactions: Ricci and Krishnee
All-purpose flour is the American term for plain flour, and you would need to add baking powder or the bread wouldn’t rise.

Reactions: Ricci
What's all this "when they start to go brown"? I must have raised a family of monkeys because no matter how many I buy they all disappear, sometimes they don't even get as far as the fruit bowl :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: !

• Haha
Reactions: Jarred Santos
What's all this "when they start to go brown"? I must have raised a family of monkeys because no matter how many I buy they all disappear, sometimes they don't even get as far as the fruit bowl :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: !
Lucky you @Ricci :LOL: my family can't even seem to get through a hand without the last three or so gone bad :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ricci