Good news for retirees: Increased income limits announced for Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, ‘thousands’ seen to benefit

Great news, members! Recent adjustments to income thresholds mean that more seniors may now qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC), offering a more comprehensive range of concessions beyond just health-related benefits.

The income thresholds for the card were increased last year as a one-time cost-of-living measure by the Albanese government. Even more recently, there have been further increases in the income thresholds for both singles and couples.

As of September 20th, the income threshold for singles has been raised to $95,400 (up from $90,000), while for couples, it now stands at $152,640 (up from $144,000).

This threshold is based on 'adjusted taxable income,' which includes taxable income from your tax return and the 'deemed' income from an account-based pension.

Deeming is a set of rules to calculate the income generated from your financial assets. Services Australia combines this with your other income and applies the income test to determine your payment rate.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 2.41.10 PM.png
A Commonwealth Seniors Health Card can be valuable for self-funded retirees, but many need to realise they are eligible. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is valuable to help you better manage your finances, especially concerning healthcare expenses.

This card's worth can reach up to $4,000 annually for a couple, although the exact amount varies based on how extensively the concessions—which extend beyond healthcare-related benefits—are utilised.

With this card, self-funded retirees can access more affordable medicine through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and benefit from bulk-billed doctor visits, as doctors are incentivised to bulk-bill cardholders.

Moreover, there is a lower out-of-pocket threshold, at which point the government reimburses medical expenses.

Depending on the specific rules in the state or territory where the cardholder resides, they may also enjoy discounts on electricity and gas bills, property and water rates, and reduced public transport fares.

According to Brooke Logan, Advice Technical and Strategy Lead at UniSuper, 'Thousands more will be eligible for cheaper medication and doctor visits—though there will be many who are not aware of it.'

According to Brendan Ryan, a Financial Adviser and the Founder of Later Life Advice, the confusion surrounding eligibility and the application process is causing some self-funded retirees to miss out on opportunities.

Ryan emphasises that no one will reach out and inform you of your eligibility. He added, 'If you don't apply, you won't receive it.'

So, how do you know if you're eligible?

Your circumstances determine your eligibility for the CSHC. According to Services Australia, you can obtain the card if you satisfy the following conditions:
  • Reach Age Pension age.
  • Fulfill residence requirements.
  • Do not receive income support payments from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Provide Services Australia with a Tax File Number*, or qualify for an exemption.
  • Meet Services Australia's identity verification criteria.
*You must also supply your partner's tax file number (if applicable) unless you qualify for an exemption.

If you're a self-funded retiree and believe you're eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, then you can apply for one by using any of the below services:
For more information about the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, refer to our article here.

Key Takeaways

• More fully self-funded retirees will now qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as income limits have increased.
  • The card, indexed in line with inflation, has an income threshold for singles now set to $95,400 and $152,640 for couples.
  • Cardholders are eligible for cheaper medicine, bulk-billed doctor visits, and depending on their location, can also receive discounts on utility bills and public transport.
  • However, applying for the card and its benefits can be confusing, and retirees should proactively contact Centrelink or seek help from a financial adviser to ensure they are not missing out.

So there you have it, members! If you are eligible for this card but don't have it yet, we recommend applying for one immediately and taking advantage of the available concessions.

However, remember that the information provided in this article is general in nature and should not be regarded as professional advice. It's always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor who can consider your specific circumstances before making any decisions.

We hope you found this article helpful!

Sponsored
The application process seems to be designed to confuse and make you want to give up applying.
When you finally do get through it be prepared to wait months for approval but it is well worth it if you persevere.

Agree with Lei. Couldn't get the on line system to work nor could my local Services Australia office. Had to resort to paper based approach. Took 4 phone calls and 5 visits then after about 3 months of to and fro it finally arrived. But worth all the effort.

The application process seems to be designed to confuse and make you want to give up applying.
When you finally do get through it be prepared to wait months for approval but it is well worth it if you persevere.
It's the same when you get thr age pension if your partner works your pension is minimal, and very difficult to get straight answers from Centrelink.

As an "asset rich/income poor" self funded retiree, I found the CSHC application process very simple and it didn't take long at all to get the card in the mail. Can't say that it has been much of a benefit since I don't do medications other than Osteo Panadol, which I can purchase over the counter without a script.

As an "asset rich/income poor" self funded retiree, I found the CSHC application process very simple and it didn't take long at all to get the card in the mail. Can't say that it has been much of a benefit since I don't do medications other than Osteo Panadol, which I can purchase over the counter without a script.
Don't you also get bulk billing at your doctors and utilities cheaper?

For those self funded retirees below age pension age, you may be eligible for the Low Income Card, providing many of the benefits received with CSHC. Lots of people don't realise they are eligible, so my advice is to look into it. Even those with healthy super fund balances & investments may qualify.

Reactions: Vio Kot and Nina_59
Don't you also get bulk billing at your doctors and utilities cheaper?
To start with, this would require to actually see a doctor and as for utilities, there is no discount in the ACT (or NSW) for the CSHC.

So no, I don't get any benefits.

• Wow
Reactions: Vio Kot
My husband and I are self-funded retirees, and way below the threshold income. We had our CSHC
a few years back, I did not give up applying for it though the call wait takes an hour or more. I was declined to use it for rego and utilities. Hope I get it this year as the threshold has changed

a

Great news, members! Recent adjustments to income thresholds mean that more seniors may now qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC), offering a more comprehensive range of concessions beyond just health-related benefits.

The income thresholds for the card were increased last year as a one-time cost-of-living measure by the Albanese government. Even more recently, there have been further increases in the income thresholds for both singles and couples.

As of September 20th, the income threshold for singles has been raised to $95,400 (up from $90,000), while for couples, it now stands at $152,640 (up from $144,000).

This threshold is based on 'adjusted taxable income,' which includes taxable income from your tax return and the 'deemed' income from an account-based pension.

Deeming is a set of rules to calculate the income generated from your financial assets. Services Australia combines this with your other income and applies the income test to determine your payment rate.

View attachment 30387
A Commonwealth Seniors Health Card can be valuable for self-funded retirees, but many need to realise they are eligible. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is valuable to help you better manage your finances, especially concerning healthcare expenses.

This card's worth can reach up to $4,000 annually for a couple, although the exact amount varies based on how extensively the concessions—which extend beyond healthcare-related benefits—are utilised.

With this card, self-funded retirees can access more affordable medicine through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and benefit from bulk-billed doctor visits, as doctors are incentivised to bulk-bill cardholders.

Moreover, there is a lower out-of-pocket threshold, at which point the government reimburses medical expenses.

Depending on the specific rules in the state or territory where the cardholder resides, they may also enjoy discounts on electricity and gas bills, property and water rates, and reduced public transport fares.

According to Brooke Logan, Advice Technical and Strategy Lead at UniSuper, 'Thousands more will be eligible for cheaper medication and doctor visits—though there will be many who are not aware of it.'

According to Brendan Ryan, a Financial Adviser and the Founder of Later Life Advice, the confusion surrounding eligibility and the application process is causing some self-funded retirees to miss out on opportunities.

Ryan emphasises that no one will reach out and inform you of your eligibility. He added, 'If you don't apply, you won't receive it.'

So, how do you know if you're eligible?

Your circumstances determine your eligibility for the CSHC. According to Services Australia, you can obtain the card if you satisfy the following conditions:
  • Reach Age Pension age.
  • Fulfill residence requirements.
  • Do not receive income support payments from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Provide Services Australia with a Tax File Number*, or qualify for an exemption.
  • Meet Services Australia's identity verification criteria.
*You must also supply your partner's tax file number (if applicable) unless you qualify for an exemption.

If you're a self-funded retiree and believe you're eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, then you can apply for one by using any of the below services:
For more information about the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, refer to our article here.

Key Takeaways

• More fully self-funded retirees will now qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as income limits have increased.
  • The card, indexed in line with inflation, has an income threshold for singles now set to $95,400 and $152,640 for couples.
  • Cardholders are eligible for cheaper medicine, bulk-billed doctor visits, and depending on their location, can also receive discounts on utility bills and public transport.
  • However, applying for the card and its benefits can be confusing, and retirees should proactively contact Centrelink or seek help from a financial adviser to ensure they are not missing out.

So there you have it, members! If you are eligible for this card but don't have it yet, we recommend applying for one immediately and taking advantage of the available concessions.

However, remember that the information provided in this article is general in nature and should not be regarded as professional advice. It's always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor who can consider your specific circumstances before making any decisions.

We hope you found this article helpful!
It’s unfair that 65 yo who can’t get a
Pension but earn less than $50K are not eligible for comm seniors card. They increase the pension age but don’t take into account that that as we get older health declines and we need more medications

It's the same when you get thr age pension if your partner works your pension is minimal, and very difficult to get straight answers from Centrelink.
When I applied for the pension 3mth before due as advised Centrelink wasn't even allowed to talk to me about it and I couldn't phone the pension people so Centrelink had to phone them and give them my mobile number then the pension people rang me this was 3mths after I applied then they told me through mygov that I was entitled to $127 every 2 weeks after all the twoing and froeing I thought they would get it right so I rang my local member she was out of the office the girl I spoke to said she could look into it for me next day all resolved the counted the house we live in as an asset so a few weeks after due a got it and back pay I don't understand if somebody can't do a simple job get rid of them

Reactions: Vio Kot
For those self funded retirees below age pension age, you may be eligible for the Low Income Card, providing many of the benefits received with CSHC. Lots of people don't realise they are eligible, so my advice is to look into it. Even those with healthy super fund balances & investments may qualify.
Hi Meredy, I come under that category. Whom would I have to contact to find if eligible for the low income card.
? Thanks Nina

When I turned sixty I applied for a senior card and one was sent out to me, bulk billing is to my understanding if a, you have a pension concession card or b, if the doctor puts it through as a bulk bill. You don't get discounts for electricity unless you are on a pension card, and of course you can go on the PBS for your medication and once you reach the threshold your medication is free till the 31st of December. You can go on transport for free with a seniors card and if you need a medi alert you can get a discount if you have a seniors card. There are places that give you a percentage off if you have a seniors card. I live in SA. It would be a matter of finding out who takes senior cards and what percentage you can get off if you use it.

the only prescibed tablets I get are hormone replacements and cholesterol, the chemist told me I need to spend a certain amount before I get free tablets. I am no where near that. Once again why can't the govt let people over 60 get these types of tablets free, I know they cost $ 7.30 a month , I also have tablets for arthritis and buy osteo tablets, thyroid i use kelp tablets cause I can't take prescribed tablets for thyroid.

It’s unfair that 65 yo who can’t get a
Pension but earn less than $50K are not eligible for comm seniors card. They increase the pension age but don’t take into account that that as we get older health declines and we need more medications
and at what age do you think the cut off age should be? No one one would be satisfied. all are just greedy.

the only prescibed tablets I get are hormone replacements and cholesterol, the chemist told me I need to spend a certain amount before I get free tablets. I am no where near that. Once again why can't the govt let people over 60 get these types of tablets free, I know they cost $ 7.30 a month , I also have tablets for arthritis and buy osteo tablets, thyroid i use kelp tablets cause I can't take prescribed tablets for thyroid.
if, like me you get onto the freebie list, believe you me you have numerous things wrong. DO YOU WANT THAT? and i deal with blood cancer as well.

Reactions: Subduedshilo
When I turned sixty I applied for a senior card and one was sent out to me, bulk billing is to my understanding if a, you have a pension concession card or b, if the doctor puts it through as a bulk bill. You don't get discounts for electricity unless you are on a pension card, and of course you can go on the PBS for your medication and once you reach the threshold your medication is free till the 31st of December. You can go on transport for free with a seniors card and if you need a medi alert you can get a discount if you have a seniors card. There are places that give you a percentage off if you have a seniors card. I live in SA. It would be a matter of finding out who takes senior cards and what percentage you can get off if you use it.
You get free transport, we pay in NSW, only $2.5 for the day, but you'd think it would be the same across Australia