natalielocket

Jan 16, 2024
Golly Wogs

Every thing is too politically Correct. Golly Wogs have been around for years Noone ever thought anything of them. Kids loved them. I knitted one for my Daughter. She is now in her 50`s I have seen them in Craft shops. Kids still love them. No different to a Pakeha doll or a `Black` (God forbid) doll.

Reactions: summadale and DLHM
My opinion to the question raised and expressed so eloquently:-

PC, is simply treating other people with the dignity and respect. It’s about being aware of other people’s experiences, respecting those experiences by using tolerant and understanding language in an attempt to create a less bigoted society and exercising humanity towards those that have often been marginalised in one way or another. The PC is all about being sensitive!

Some call it oversensitive and unreasonable or even shit, because it is emotional reasoning, not logical deduction. Some see it as an attempt to stop harmful stereotyping of certain groups of people.

Those of us who see the benefit of PC language in order to protect dignity, are seen as hindering free speech, over reaction, ridiculous, too far. I see this as a self-serving sentiment in one sense and selfish and without empathy for others that have experienced the impacts and have been emotionally affected by such stereotyping and have experienced humiliation and degradation.

It is so easy for 'some people' to pretend that it does not exist, although I think it is a selective choice to do so by ‘some people’ because many of those ‘some people’ are extremely sensitive to things that affect them personally.
PC is an attempt to correct reality, and the inability of some people to understand this sentiment is, in my opinion, an indictment on human beings because they cannot see the benefit of progression to try to remedy the harms of the past for those affected people.

Of course, it can seem it goes too far, but that is subjective. ‘Fatty’ is still said, but I consider it would possibly offend some fatties - right?. ‘Retard’ is a no-no - right? Let’s be real though - we all have thought this, at one time or another, but a social conscience should stop us from saying it out loud in company - otherwise it may well create an altercation, possibly violence, because it arouses emotions that hurt people - yeah? Humans behave and use language that is very offensive to others, thus creating conflict and hurt.

("The gay gang murders are a series of suspected anti-LGBT hate crimes perpetrated by large gangs of youths in Sydney, between 1970 and 2010, with most occurring in 1989 and 1990)"... a good example?? Some would say at least some of these criminals were/are actually closet gays in denial and most would say mentally impaired, in one way or another.

But this generation is very sensitive to senility yeah? Fact that our brains shrink rather quickly from age 70 onwards…but we won’t mention the war! People left unchecked in saying whatever they want is the cause of a lot of violence. What is wrong with setting a benchmark to avoid pain?

In the case of gollywogs - you can still have as many as you want - adorn your rooms with dolls of any type/colour, hug them, talk and play with them as you wish - so, is this just an objection to the objection by some that you complain about? How is the sentiment hurting you personally? Not sure how many of the younger generations would want a gollywog these days, but hey, offer them around! I didn’t take to the decor of doilies and cheap fake flowers myself. As for Coon Cheese name change - not forced but decided in their best financial interests, it was probably a sage decision - and this is only because it most certainly has been used in a derogatory way….yeah?? Can you imagine having the surname Kuntz - especially when some may make good use of it if it happened to be that the personality matched. It makes zero difference in my life and I am not offended by it personally - however I can understand why PC has come about. Just reading some comments in here reminds me how cretinous people can be left to “free speech” and nature of course.

Golly Wogs have been around for years Noone ever thought anything of them” - Yes and so has violence/rape/murder - I can see the benefit of change of attitudes to those once norms.

How quickly we humans can descend into early primate behaviour - however some see the value of evolution. Whether or not the original intent was racist - it certainly has been used as such by many over the years - hence the sensitivity I guess. Not trying change others views - just expressing my opinion on the matter.

I have 2 Golliwogs, I’m sure I bought one on a trip to a dog show up the Hume highway, driving from Tassie either to Newcastle or Brisbane. Around ‘90’s, Not sure where I got the other. I also have a tiny statue of a Golliwog. I love them and as far as I’m concerned how are they different to some characteristic white doll? It’s pathetic how so many things have become politically correct. But just my opinion.

Politically Correct is Realistically Wrong!

Whoever, and for what purpose was the politically correct 💩 started in the first place?
Oh I so agree! Probably some woke person! It must be the younger lot mmm 35 or so are getting too sensitive. i was in hospital last year and could not fathom why the nurse had name, then she/her! 😂 I don’t get out much, I asked her she didn’t reply as I had no idea about pronouns. Wasn’t very good at that and verbs and nouns etc 😂. I still without thinking use Aussie slang as it’s been a part of my 70+ yrs, no rude ones, my Dr is Chinese and she is learning, like she asked me a questions, I just said blowed if I know 🤣😜. Or up the creek with out a paddle. Penelope Keith I think did a tour of villages in the UK and she mentioned some of the sayings and how they came about, it was fascinatin.

Oh I so agree! Probably some woke person! It must be the younger lot mmm 35 or so are getting too sensitive. i was in hospital last year and could not fathom why the nurse had name, then she/her! 😂 I don’t get out much, I asked her she didn’t reply as I had no idea about pronouns. Wasn’t very good at that and verbs and nouns etc 😂. I still without thinking use Aussie slang as it’s been a part of my 70+ yrs, no rude ones, my Dr is Chinese and she is learning, like she asked me a questions, I just said blowed if I know 🤣😜. Or up the creek with out a paddle. Penelope Keith I think did a tour of villages in the UK and she mentioned some of the sayings and how they came about, it was fascinatin.
I'm not a big fan of British sitcoms (or any sitcoms really) but I do like Penelope Keith in To the Manor Born - she is terrific. I also like the show 'Vera' -Brenda Blethyn , sorry to hear she quit that role...."Hello Luv" LOL