Going on a holiday? Here are the biggest scams you need to avoid

Travelling can be one of life's greatest joys, especially for those who have worked hard and are now able to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

However, the excitement of exploring new destinations can be dampened by the unfortunate reality of tourist-targeted scams. When travelling to new places, it's crucial to remain vigilant and informed to safeguard your finances.

Scams can come in many forms and are often cleverly designed to catch even the savviest of travellers off guard. Let's delve into some of the most prevalent cons and how to avoid them.

Gems in Thailand​

Thailand's bustling markets and vibrant streets are a feast for the senses, but they're also fertile ground for the infamous gem scam.

compressed-jewellery-background.jpeg
Tourists in Thailand should be careful of gem scams. Image source: Freepik

This ruse often begins with a friendly local or tuk-tuk driver offering to take you on a tour or to a special store for tax-free jewellery.

The promise of high-quality gems at a fraction of the price is tempting, but the reality is that these stones are often worthless.

One traveller who fell for this scam recalled their experience: ‘We read about the gem scams but failed to recognise the signs. We were too focused on warding off any unwanted solicitations only to fall prey to a seemingly nice-looking Thai gentleman who we thought wanted to come to [the] rescue and help us out.’

‘We somehow were blind-sided, bought worthless gems and signed refund policy papers at 80 per cent face value. We never thought we would need to return our purchases,’ they added.

To avoid falling prey to this scam, it is advisable to stick to your planned itinerary and only visit reputable jewellers recommended by trusted sources.

Bracelets in Paris​

The romance of Paris is undeniable, but so is the persistence of scammers in tourist hotspots like Sacré Coeur and Montmartre.

The bracelet scam typically involves someone forcefully tying a string bracelet around your wrist and then demanding payment.

If someone approaches you with a bracelet, firmly decline and walk away. Remember, it's okay to be assertive to protect yourself from being taken advantage of.

A woman shared a warning about this scam after witnessing it firsthand:

Content Warning: The following video contains strong language. Viewer discretion is advised.

Source: @americanfille/TikTok​

Roses in Italy​

Italy is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning landscapes and exquisite cuisine.

However, the country's charm is often accompanied by the rose scam, where a seemingly kind individual offers you a rose only to demand payment once you've accepted it.

A man attempted to scam Stephanie Sangiovese by handing her a rose while she was dining in a restaurant.

She said: ‘I knew it was going to happen. He handed it to me and said something. I just did not even look at him. I said “no”, and then he stayed there for a minute. When he realised I wasn't going to do anything he walked away.’

You can watch her video here:

Source: @stephanie.sangiovese/TikTok​

The best defence is to refuse any unsolicited gifts or services politely. If someone insists, do not engage and continue on your way.

It has also been reported that in Italy, some locals offer to help you carry your luggage to the train, but then demand payment.

Money Exchange Scams​

Exchanging currency is a necessity when travelling, but it can also be a minefield for scams.

In places like Bali, it’s always advisable to count your money carefully and be the last to handle it before leaving the exchange. Be wary of too-good-to-be-true rates and stick to official money changers.

An Australian traveller in Bali was saved by a local who prevented a money changer from pocketing more cash than expected during a currency exchange.

Additionally, watch out for credit card skimming at ATMs and stores. Keep your card in sight at all times and use machines in secure locations.

SmartTraveller advised: ‘Ask for your card back straight away if a shop assistant wants to swipe your card out of your sight or in a second machine.’

Taxi and Rideshare Scams​

Even a short taxi or rideshare trip can turn into an expensive ordeal if you're not careful.

In destinations like Corfu, Greece, always check the estimated fare on the app before confirming your ride. Use only licensed taxis and agree on the fare or ensure the meter is used before setting off.

‘Find out what transport services are available at the airport before you travel, follow signage or advice of authorities to official taxi services only,’ SmartTraveller said.

‘Always ask if the driver will use the meter, or agree on the fare before you get in a taxi,’ they added.

What to Do If You Fall Victim to a Scam​

Despite our best efforts, sometimes scams can still catch us off guard. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, here's what you can do:

1. Report the incident to the local police. They may be familiar with the scam and can offer assistance.
2. Contact your travel insurer to see if you're covered for any losses incurred.
3. In emergencies, reach out to the nearest Australian embassy or consulate for support.

Before you embark on your journey, take the time to research common scams in your destination.

Websites like SmartTraveller provide valuable advice and warnings for Australian travellers. Knowledge is power, and being prepared can make all the difference.
Key Takeaways
  • Tourists are advised to be wary of common scams while on holiday, including being offered 'too good to be true' deals on gems in Bangkok and pressured into buying string bracelets in Paris.
  • In Italy, tourists may encounter scammers who give roses or offer luggage assistance with the expectation of payment.
  • Travelers should be cautious during money exchanges to avoid being shortchanged, be aware of credit card skimming, and use only legitimate ATMs and taxi services.
  • If you fall victim to a scam while abroad, you should report the incident to local police, contact your travel insurer, and, in an emergency, reach out to Australian embassies and consulates.
Do you know of other scams travellers should be aware of? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
My husbands family lived in Paris and many years ago we went to visit. Walking around one of the parks, a young lady bent down to pick something off the ground and came up to us asking if my husband lost his wedding ring as she picked it up off the ground. When he said he didn't then she said it would be bad luck for her to keep it. Then she said it would be good luck for him if he gave her a small token. He pulled out a handful of change to give her something when she grabbed all the change and ran off. I was laughing as I could see he was getting conned. The ring in question was a piece of pipe. I still laugh about it. Just lucky he didn't bring out any notes

My husbands family lived in Paris and many years ago we went to visit. Walking around one of the parks, a young lady bent down to pick something off the ground and came up to us asking if my husband lost his wedding ring as she picked it up off the ground. When he said he didn't then she said it would be bad luck for her to keep it. Then she said it would be good luck for him if he gave her a small token. He pulled out a handful of change to give her something when she grabbed all the change and ran off. I was laughing as I could see he was getting conned. The ring in question was a piece of pipe. I still laugh about it. Just lucky he didn't bring out any notes
Wow, what a detailed account @Iggydi! She would've ripped the notes in half, I think 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Iggydi
We were scammed in Thailand. My Sister & I used a Tuk Tuk, when we arrived at our destination we got out of the Tuk Tuk handed him our money expecting change, he just took off with our money. So next time hubby & I were in Samoa we stayed seated in the Taxi & handed over our money & were given our change. So lesson learnt, stay seated until change is given.